Markham
im guess its so so
=/
60Hz
good if you NEVER had a lcd though
Aug 31, 2008
316 posts
36 upvotes
This is a fine TV. It's not perfect and not top of the line but it should get the job done.
I really am not sure why people are so hooked up on 1080i vs 1080P, 8 bit vs 10 bit, 60 HZ vs 120 HZ.

Like seriously, 120 Hz will make a difference when you have reception coming in at 120 Hz and your TV cannot handle the high frequency. As of right now, everything comes in 60Hz, your cable, your video games, your bluray, etc etc. I have a 120 Hz TV and my friend has the same TV in 60 Hz, and believe it, there is NO difference AT ALL. Just like I have 1080i and my PS3 outputs 1080P and the TV takes it just fine.....

You should have no worries buying a 60 HZ TV until a few years when everything is ported to 120Hz.
Quote:
"Wow, that is one crappy camera even for free."

"Walmart(Supercenter) has the Atlantic SPSCUR47 Satellite Speaker Stands onsale for $19.xx. No more holding up the speakers with a broomstick ... LOL"

"woot :cheesygri its PMing time :D :twisted: "
Aug 16, 2006
297 posts
3 upvotes
I've heard that vision ships their products very slow, and offer zero customer service, does anyone have experience with them?
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
19082 posts
2398 upvotes
YVR
midnightspark wrote: This is a fine TV. It's not perfect and not top of the line but it should get the job done.
I really am not sure why people are so hooked up on 1080i vs 1080P, 8 bit vs 10 bit, 60 HZ vs 120 HZ.

Like seriously, 120 Hz will make a difference when you have reception coming in at 120 Hz and your TV cannot handle the high frequency. As of right now, everything comes in 60Hz, your cable, your video games, your bluray, etc etc. I have a 120 Hz TV and my friend has the same TV in 60 Hz, and believe it, there is NO difference AT ALL. Just like I have 1080i and my PS3 outputs 1080P and the TV takes it just fine.....

You should have no worries buying a 60 HZ TV until a few years when everything is ported to 120Hz.
The point of 120Hz is that films are 24 FPS and 120/24=5 whereas 60/24=2.5.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Dec 24, 2006
470 posts
77 upvotes
Vancouver
I have a 120Hz LCD and I turn off the 120Hz functionality for everything (yes including movies) except for sports... It is a personal preference (lots of discussions on the net about 60Hz vs. 120Hz and the supposed "realism" effect, google it yourself if you're interested) but for me personally, I did not like the "soap opera look" the 120Hz makes the film-based movies appear on the screen. A friend of mine that was with me when shopping for TV did not notice/dislike the "soap opera look" so everyone's different and you will have to see for yourself.

Like previous posters have stated, don't take the published stats as absolute truth (like the contrast ratio) because manufacturers don't include the conditions under which these stats were produced so there's no reliable base to measure one TV against another except that most times a 120Hz TV is the newer model and thus has a better panel (maybe).

Back to topic though, I think that's a decent price for 46" LCD :) Just resist Visions' bait&switch and upselling tactics (if you're shopping in person) and you will be fine!
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2008
1392 posts
179 upvotes
Toronto
I thought the Bravia 46S5100 for $899 at best buy was a so-so deal

Assuming AQUOS is now behind Bravia in TVs, it doesn't seem that hot for a 60hz.
My Rogers Plan: 250 DT, Unlim. inc., Unlim. E/W @ 8pm, 100 CDN LD, 100 txt sent/unlim. rec., CID/VM/Call forward & transfer = $15.90/month after all tax and fees.
Sep 26, 2007
658 posts
46 upvotes
Ottawa
gobbledygoo wrote: I have a 120Hz LCD and I turn off the 120Hz functionality for everything (yes including movies) except for sports... It is a personal preference (lots of discussions on the net about 60Hz vs. 120Hz and the supposed "realism" effect, google it yourself if you're interested) but for me personally, I did not like the "soap opera look" the 120Hz makes the film-based movies appear on the screen. A friend of mine that was with me when shopping for TV did not notice/dislike the "soap opera look" so everyone's different and you will have to see for yourself.

Like previous posters have stated, don't take the published stats as absolute truth (like the contrast ratio) because manufacturers don't include the conditions under which these stats were produced so there's no reliable base to measure one TV against another except that most times a 120Hz TV is the newer model and thus has a better panel (maybe).

Back to topic though, I think that's a decent price for 46" LCD :) Just resist Visions' bait&switch and upselling tactics (if you're shopping in person) and you will be fine!
Yup, I noticed a bit difference b/w 60HZ and 120HZ but only if watching fast movement video

btw, I got a sharp 46" 46SB57U, not Aquos model, from Walmart USA on pre-black Friday for US$ 699. Total cost at the end after everything included was a bit over $900 Can$.
Jan 17, 2003
620 posts
68 upvotes
BC
I notice a big difference with my samsung 120 hrz tv, when compared to the 60 hrz
Deal Fanatic
Aug 22, 2005
7868 posts
1039 upvotes
Haz wrote: The point of 120Hz is that films are 24 FPS and 120/24=5 whereas 60/24=2.5.
This TV can't do 24hz as well?
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2003
1365 posts
599 upvotes
HBP wrote: This TV can't do 24hz as well?
lcds dont change refresh rates
Feb 23, 2003
377 posts
4 upvotes
This tv supports 1080/24p input.

Good tv, I had the 42D65u, now 46D85U. I like it. Should definitely hold me over for a few years.

It also has very low input lag.

Only complaint is that it's very time consuming to calibrate this tv properly (have to go into the service menu). I'd recommend the LG 47LH30 over this TV though.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2004
6562 posts
264 upvotes
Markham
Haz wrote: The point of 120Hz is that films are 24 FPS and 120/24=5 whereas 60/24=2.5.
HBP wrote: This TV can't do 24hz as well?
JustinZ wrote: lcds dont change refresh rates
HBP wrote: ?!?!?!?!
You obviously mean "This TV can't do 24fps as well?" not "24Hz".

60Hz TVs need to do something called 3:2 pulldown to convert 24fps to 30fps so it can be displayed:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecine#3:2_pulldown
This space for rent
Jan 28, 2010
9 posts
This is a GREAT deal considering that the D65U was hovering around the $1350 mark or more for most of last year. I snagged mine at $999.99 at Future Shop on Boxing Day a year ago and haven't looked back. THe upgrade to this Sharp (the E77U??) was on sale for $999 at Best Buy a few weeks back and would have been a little better deal as it was 120Hz but really there's no discernible viewing difference -- and that's CNET's analysis, not mine. I had a look at the 85U at the same time I got my 65U -- a side by side comparison at Best Buy -- and saw absolutely no difference in colour or jitters or anything else.

I've been loving my D65U for more than a year. Calibration is a snap as well. Just visit the reviews at Amazon.com and you'll get the lowdown on how to do it properly following instructions on a CNET blog.

Buy it and enjoy!
Jan 28, 2010
9 posts
Deals on Samsung 46-inchers are also popping up -- Future Shop has the LN46B500 at $899.99 as of today -- but the general complaint with Samsung is the speakers face downward and are not as clear as the Sharp or others. If you aren't adding a sound system ($$$$) then it might be better to stick with the Sharp.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2008
1392 posts
179 upvotes
Toronto
MrThrifty wrote: This is a GREAT deal considering that the D65U was hovering around the $1350 mark or more for most of last year. I snagged mine at $999.99 at Future Shop on Boxing Day a year ago and haven't looked back. THe upgrade to this Sharp (the E77U??) was on sale for $999 at Best Buy a few weeks back and would have been a little better deal as it was 120Hz but really there's no discernible viewing difference -- and that's CNET's analysis, not mine. I had a look at the 85U at the same time I got my 65U -- a side by side comparison at Best Buy -- and saw absolutely no difference in colour or jitters or anything else.

I've been loving my D65U for more than a year. Calibration is a snap as well. Just visit the reviews at Amazon.com and you'll get the lowdown on how to do it properly following instructions on a CNET blog.

Buy it and enjoy!
It would've been a great price a year ago, but a year later, the difference isn't really a hot deal. Mind you, 60hz are all going (if not already) to be discontinued. Making these all oudated models very soon. Stores need to clear old inventory so you'll be seeing alot more of these sales on 60hz in the next while. No hurry to buy imo if you didn't pick up a good deal on boxing day a month ago.

And Samsung/Bravia are made in the same factory, so give or take, they're both the market leaders in terms of LCDs, Aquos is lagging behind a bit lately.
My Rogers Plan: 250 DT, Unlim. inc., Unlim. E/W @ 8pm, 100 CDN LD, 100 txt sent/unlim. rec., CID/VM/Call forward & transfer = $15.90/month after all tax and fees.
Jan 28, 2010
9 posts
What? You expect them to go out the door for $699 or less?

At $899, this is a GREAT deal for a 46-incher even if it's 60Hz. Liike I said, CNET could find no discernible real-life difference in viewing between 60 and 120Hz Sharp models a year back.

If you want a budget 46-inch LCD, then go grab one. Or wait 'til Boxing Day rolls around again. But by then, they'll be discounting the 120Hz models down to $899. :cheesygri

Don't believe me? Then check the prices on Amazon for 46-inch 60Hz models. The big box stores all had a good Christmas and Boxing Week. I don't think you'll see major cuts in the coming months.