• Mar 18th, 2010 12:40 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2004
5047 posts
151 upvotes
Montreal, QC, Canada

Vista Windows Media Player 11 System Freezes on WMA/WMV file load

Ok I have a big issue that I have no idea where to begin fixing. I already tried using System Restore to see if that would help but no effect.

Problem:
This all started out of the blue. My netbook froze permanently when I tried to play a WMV video file. I had to force power off (holding down power button) and reboot. I thought it was a random freeze so when I tried to play the same file type it happened again. I discovered that ever since the first freeze up any Windows Media file type, I only tried WMA and WMV but I guess any wm* type, will keep the cpu busy at 100% load and the only thing I can do is tap the power button and wait 10-30mins for vista to do a normal shutdown.

I can play MPEG video files just fine and WMV seems to work without a problem in Windows Media Center and inside Internet Explorer's internal WMP addon but vista's external WMP11 holds up the system and makes everything unresponsive. If I play a WMA file I am able to end task the audiodg.exe process and then close/end task WMP11, and then restart the Windows Audio Endpoint service. This lets me continue using vista like normal but WMV files make the system too busy to do anything but normal shutdown.

I need to repair the codec or reinstall WMP11 somehow but I can't find anyway to do it in vista. Even the setup file in it's program folder just checks for updates and not finding any it says there's nothing to be done and exits.

I am currently reading through ESET NOD32 v4 SysInspector snapshot of my system. It allows me to view/analyze snapshots of my entire registry. I only have the one snapshot of the system with the current issue already present.
Ebay Feedback Score:55 | 68 Pos | 100%
My Heat 25-1-0

[POST=5799853]Best Quality DVD Burn I've Seen[/POST]
My Sale/Trade Lists [THREAD=399765]Computers[/THREAD]
7 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2005
13432 posts
294 upvotes
Midland
There are other media players besides WMP. Why not just download and use another better one.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." - US President, Calvin Coolidge
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2004
5047 posts
151 upvotes
Montreal, QC, Canada
instead of going around the problem I'd really like to fix it. I don't want to load up the system with additional software right now as I'm not sure how/what changes I will make to the overall setup. Planning to do some multi-boots and havn't decided what options I will go with.

Also this damage is severe, installing anything else will not fix anything, if a program happens to send a any *.wm* file to WMP11 it will lock up my whole system regardless of having other players installed as default. WMP11 is unremoveable/non-uninstallable. It's integrated like how IE is integrated with explorer.exe (or used to be on previous windows). WMP11 never shows in vista's "Programs and Features" and the setup program in its folder only searches for updates. I can't find any repair/configure options for the program. I'm convinced the codecs are setup as a driver instead of an addon but I'm not sure.
My Heat 25-1-0

Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2005
1453 posts
644 upvotes
MB
It might be a conflict with some other software you installed, like another audio or video player or converter or a codec package. You could try uninstalling some stuff and see if that solves the problem.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2004
5047 posts
151 upvotes
Montreal, QC, Canada
ktokes12 wrote: It might be a conflict with some other software you installed, like another audio or video player or converter or a codec package. You could try uninstalling some stuff and see if that solves the problem.
I never installed anything on this netbook except for Windows Live Messenger, ICQ that I never launched yet, yahoo messenger, Adobe Flash. Mozilla Firefox, and Google Chrome. Everything else about this netbook is factory default. I only updated the sound drivers after this issue started too.
My Heat 25-1-0

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2004
5047 posts
151 upvotes
Montreal, QC, Canada
I forgot to add that the WMV files play without a problem when I disable my audio device in device manager. They lock up the system again when I re-enable the audio device and try to play the files
My Heat 25-1-0

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2004
5047 posts
151 upvotes
Montreal, QC, Canada
zero effect and zero change. Still need help with this. Does McAfee SecurityCenter have an effect on WMV WMA audio?
My Heat 25-1-0