Expired Hot Deals

[Vistek] Nikon Sale: D7500 $999.99 + other deals (multiple retailers)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 29th, 2019 6:59 am
Tags:
Dec 29, 2013
490 posts
254 upvotes
Montr
Maybe
DSLRs will become extinct soon
Unless someone already has the lenses I dont see why anyone would want to buy Dslr
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
12396 posts
3419 upvotes
Ottawa
DSLRs won't be extinct soon because some people still need their advantages, but they will reduce the number of low end models and even mid end models. I can't see Nikon expending much energy making new 7600/7700 models as soon as they have in the past, as the battleground is now FF mirrorless.

Most people who want a better camera than their phone will probably prefer mirrorless,

I was toying with the idea of getting my last DSLR, but I decided I'd rather get a Sony A7III when the time is right. I am finding I shoot video more than photos now.
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and not paying full price like Joe Shmoe did. This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Dec 17, 2017
76 posts
36 upvotes
went to Henry's and saw they have the d750 for 1699 (apparently 800 off)

almost pulled the trigger, but needed to come home to research lenses - I do mostly closeup photography (food) so wanted to test the water

anyone have any recommendations? (the sale at Henry's is on til May 30, so absolutely in no rush)
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2006
3533 posts
825 upvotes
Food should look great usimg 50mm, 35mm and even 85mm. Just gorgeous bokeh. These lenses are cheaper than any kit or low light zooms.
Sep 25, 2001
612 posts
131 upvotes
Victoria, BC
I traded from my D7000 to a D7500 and love the low light and video upgrades. The Nikon app works well with the D7500 on the phone. You can see your photos shot on the Nikon on my phone as well as use the GPS to include that on the Nikon meta data. Also remote shutter from the phone is fun.
Dec 17, 2017
76 posts
36 upvotes
ya one of the nikon 50mm was on for 899 (100+ off) as well, and that's likely the one Id be going with
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
10091 posts
1556 upvotes
How's the continuous AF on D7500 compared to Canon with STM lens? I switched to Sony E-Mount because Nikon sucks in video (funny Nikon introduced world first DSLR with video mode), still the good old D90 for stills.
Thumper wrote:
Apr 27th, 2019 5:22 pm
I traded from my D7000 to a D7500 and love the low light and video upgrades. The Nikon app works well with the D7500 on the phone. You can see your photos shot on the Nikon on my phone as well as use the GPS to include that on the Nikon meta data. Also remote shutter from the phone is fun.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2010
1154 posts
428 upvotes
Soulfly3 wrote:
Apr 27th, 2019 7:11 pm
ya one of the nikon 50mm was on for 899 (100+ off) as well, and that's likely the one Id be going with
Which one was it? For their DSLR, Nikon made the 50mm F1.8, 1.4 and 1.2 and none are as expensive as 899. Just curious. Maybe a Sigma or Nikon Z lens?
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2007
1241 posts
241 upvotes
Bedford
Soulfly3 wrote:
Apr 27th, 2019 5:10 pm
went to Henry's and saw they have the d750 for 1699 (apparently 800 off)

almost pulled the trigger, but needed to come home to research lenses - I do mostly closeup photography (food) so wanted to test the water

anyone have any recommendations? (the sale at Henry's is on til May 30, so absolutely in no rush)
105 VR Macro. Buy used.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2005
2459 posts
591 upvotes
Someone's opinion, unlike other tech which consumes content, cameras produce content so it is not as vulnerable to being obsolete, and main advantage of mirrorless is better video capability...

are DSLRs dead?
Last edited by ciao on Apr 28th, 2019 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apr 30, 2009
520 posts
277 upvotes
GTA
Everything is relative. If you are only viewing online, a phone trumps any camera cause you can get a photo online instantly; camera companies don’t know how to do that.

Want to print that amazing shot really big? A phone camera starts to show it’s not quite there. But now you’ve got a decent lens, you spent time in PhotoShop (or similar) to post-process and you got it printed by a decent place. It’s about the same as it was in the film days, except you’re doing more of the processing

Different goals, different gear.
Both have their places.

edit: great price on a great camera
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2006
3533 posts
825 upvotes
karlb wrote:
Apr 27th, 2019 10:48 pm
Everything is relative. If you are only viewing online, a phone trumps any camera cause you can get a photo online instantly; camera companies don’t know how to do that.

Want to print that amazing shot really big? A phone camera starts to show it’s not quite there. But now you’ve got a decent lens, you spent time in PhotoShop (or similar) to post-process and you got it printed by a decent place. It’s about the same as it was in the film days, except you’re doing more of the processing

Different goals, different gear.
Both have their places.

edit: great price on a great camera
That used to be true. I print 8.5 x 10 from iPhone pics cropped and they are very acceptable. Recently saw a canvas print probably larger than 20x24 from an iPhone jpg and it was damn good. In good light, phone pics can be very acceptable.
Apr 30, 2009
520 posts
277 upvotes
GTA
bowmah wrote:
Apr 27th, 2019 11:04 pm
That used to be true. I print 8.5 x 10 from iPhone pics cropped and they are very acceptable. Recently saw a canvas print probably larger than 20x24 from an iPhone jpg and it was damn good. In good light, phone pics can be very acceptable.
It’s still true. It all depends on how fussy you are. The larger and higher resolution the sensor, the better the large print will be.
That’s why medium format sensors > full frame > cropped > M4/3 and on down. Assuming the same technique and competence of the person using them. Doesn’t mean you can’t get a great large print from a smaller format, but just that in some cases you could have gotten a better image from a larger sensor (some cases = in some cases you can notice a difference and in others you can’t).

Just like in the film days, a large view camera (e.g. Ansel Adams, AZ highways) > medium format > 35mm > smaller film formats.

But the differences have definitely narrowed with built in processing on phones. Their images look far better than they “should” for the size of their sensor and their lens.
And their ease and ubiquity can’t be discounted.
Dec 17, 2017
76 posts
36 upvotes
Gin Martini wrote:
Apr 27th, 2019 8:02 pm
Which one was it? For their DSLR, Nikon made the 50mm F1.8, 1.4 and 1.2 and none are as expensive as 899. Just curious. Maybe a Sigma or Nikon Z lens?
It was actually a 20mm, I guess

Could have sworn it was a 50mm tho when I was there. I can't have been dreaming... I'll have to go back and check, but otherwise, twas this one
Mar 27, 2010
107 posts
12 upvotes
This looks like a good price but I am looking to switch to D7200 from D3100 and the price of D7200 body won't come down.