Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 MFT Body $1499

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 4th, 2020 12:15 am
[OP]
Oct 10, 2019
420 posts
421 upvotes

[Vistek] Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 MFT Body $1499

Seems like Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 MFT cameras are on sale.

$1,499.99 at vistek.ca
$997.99 at B&H
Last edited by TomRFD on Jul 28th, 2020 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: typo in retailer name
57 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7671 posts
5172 upvotes
Canada
It's $1299 at Panasonic estore if you have perkopolis
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
6531 posts
4314 upvotes
SW ON
B&H is CAD$167 cheaper. And it's vistek.ca in the title, not visek.ca
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2019
1634 posts
4176 upvotes
North York ON
I would wait for black Friday. The G9 is not the newest camera so it will get some steep discounts. It went for $1300 last holiday season IIRC.

Nevertheless, the G9 is a prosumer/professional minded camera and is thus a very very capable camera. If you somehow figure out how to flash the old firmware on it and do the hack, you can get 4k60p without the time limits.
Aug 8, 2009
425 posts
518 upvotes
I wouldn't put money into M34 in 2020 - especially after Olympus sale. I borrowed a friends G9 and despite great ergonomics and menu the low light and over all sensor performance was sub par to my 2011 Canon t3i.
Mar 14, 2018
37 posts
25 upvotes
MFS are pretty much dead...FF mirriorless is the way to go now. From all brands. Why would a average consumer choose MFS when the FF costs the same or even cheaper sometimes.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2012
1637 posts
833 upvotes
Regina
kerokd wrote: MFS are pretty much dead...FF mirriorless is the way to go now. From all brands. Why would a average consumer choose MFS when the FF costs the same or even cheaper sometimes.
1. Weight

2. Lens costs you can buy many great micro four thirds lenses cheaper than new full frame glass for these new ff mirrorless cameras.
Looking to buy Epson HT2150ST
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2009
1718 posts
394 upvotes
kerokd wrote: MFS are pretty much dead...FF mirriorless is the way to go now. From all brands. Why would a average consumer choose MFS when the FF costs the same or even cheaper sometimes.
I have a D750 and picked up the G9 recently. This camera is one of the most under-rated mirrorless on the market right now, despite being a couple of years old.

For a travel camera, this one blows its competition away for the value,
1. One of the most ergonomic cameras I have held in my hand, especially as a travel camera.
2. Pro level functionality - Dual SD Card Slot, An intuitive clean menu system, 5 AXIS IS, Full motion screen, An amazing EVF (Neither Sony or Nikon can match it as per reviews)
3. Lenses are cheap, compact and light. With an IS Panasonic Lens you get Dual-IS (this upgrades the camera to a 6 stops of IS), no other manufacturer provides this functionality, at-least not in the semi-pro/consumer level.
4. High Resolution Mode.
5. IQ up to 800 ISO is not very distinguishable with a D750 unless you pixel peak. Beyond that the D750 pulls away by maybe 1 - 2 stops of EV. Anything over 1600 is where the MFT looses.
6. If you pair this with a 100mm or higher lens, this camera becomes an amazing wild life and sports camera (with the upgraded firmware) - 2x Crop factor, 6 stops of IS (with a Panasonic IS lens), Upgraded focusing, lens price
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2015
1949 posts
1741 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
For pictures sure, but video not so much. The cheapest FF that has 4K video is the A7s II, which was released 5 years ago. There's actual value to filming in 4K if you're watching on anything bigger than a 24" screen.
You also get more features in the MFT vs FF for the same price
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2005
6598 posts
3114 upvotes
Germany
Until the recent X-T3 discounts, the G9 shit over every camera in its price range outside of raw sensor size. It wasn't even close. The only FF mirrorless cameras you are getting at this price point are the (relatively) ancient A7ii or the crippled and inferior EOS RP.
Last edited by unshavenyak on Jul 28th, 2020 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2005
6598 posts
3114 upvotes
Germany
rraj2k9 wrote: I have a D750 and picked up the G9 recently. This camera is one of the most under-rated mirrorless on the market right now, despite being a couple of years old.

1. One of the most ergonomic cameras I have held in my hand, especially as a travel camera.
2. Pro level functionality - Dual SD Card Slot, An intuitive clean menu system, 5 AXIS IS, Full motion screen, An amazing EVF (Neither Sony or Nikon can match it as per reviews)
3. Lenses are cheap, compact and light. With an IS Panasonic Lens you get Dual-IS (this upgrades the camera to a 6 stops of IS), no other manufacturer provides this functionality, at-least not in the semi-pro/consumer level.
4. High Resolution Mode.
5. IQ up to 800 ISO is not very distinguishable with a D750 unless you pixel peak. Beyond that the D750 pulls away by maybe 1 - 2 stops of EV. Anything over 1600 is where the MFT looses.
6. If you pair this with a 100mm or higher lens, this camera becomes an amazing wild life and sports camera (with the upgraded firmware) - 2x Crop factor, 6 stops of IS (with a Panasonic IS lens), Upgraded focusing, lens price
I agree with you on everything except travel. When I think travel, I think X-T30/E-M5 III/EOS M6 II size. Other than that, you are bang on. I had it until very recently and it's a great camera. The ergonomics are amazing and the S-AF is the fastest out there, period. The C-AF hit rate is good (that DfD wobble is not confidence inspiring) and it's a too big for my taste, but it's still a fantastic buy at $1,300.
Sep 8, 2007
483 posts
320 upvotes
I wish I bought this when Amazon had it on sale for $1199. Regretted it since. Waiting for it to drop down to that again.
Nov 24, 2017
103 posts
64 upvotes
zarfilg wrote: I wouldn't put money into M34 in 2020 - especially after Olympus sale. I borrowed a friends G9 and despite great ergonomics and menu the low light and over all sensor performance was sub par to my 2011 Canon t3i.
You must be using a different camera because the video capabilities of the G9 and panasonic GH5 which are years old rival even the newest mirrorless cameras coming out this year
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2009
1718 posts
394 upvotes
unshavenyak wrote: I agree with you on everything except travel. When I think travel, I think X-T30/E-M5 III/EOS M6 II size. Other than that, you are bang on. I had it until very recently and it's a great camera. The ergonomics are amazing and the S-AF is the fastest out there, period. The C-AF hit rate is good (that DfD wobble is not confidence inspiring) and it's a too big for my taste, but it's still a fantastic buy at $1,300.
Yeah, I looked at all those and a few more. The EM5-III despite having hand holding High Res Mode was more expensive then the G9, The XT30 and the XT3 too basic (Functionality wise compared to the G9). The M6 II without that many EF-M lenses becomes bulky between adapting EF lenses and the plug in EVF.
I was even ready to pull the trigger on a Z6 with the adaptor, as Aden gave a good package price of $2000.

But in the end the G9 won me over for the price and end up buying it with 12-35 F2.8 II.
Dec 14, 2011
667 posts
826 upvotes
Toronto
I tried to convince myself so bad to get this camera as a prosumer/hobbyist due to the amazing reviews but in the end the cons of the MFT system was just too much for me.

1. The bokeh. There’s really no equivalent to a fast prime (ex. 35mm f1.2) on a MFT system. The closest there is iirc was the Voigtlander 25mm f0.95 but that’s a manual focusing lens. With a zoom lens like the Lumix 12-35 f2.8, that’s f5.6 in FF bokeh and that’s just not enough for portraits in my opinion. I remember reading very good things about the speed booster Sigma 18-35 combo but the autofocus isn’t really reliable so that was shutdown.

2. Used FF is cheaper. This was what made me go FF. I found a used a7ii body with less than 2000 shutter clicks for $750. Paired it with a used tamron 28-75 for $1000. Had I gone MFT, I would’ve went with the G9 ($1500), 12-35 f2.8 as my general walk around zoom ($1200) and the speed booster Sigma combo for portraits (~$1000). I must admit though, I got an INSANE deal on the a7ii so YMMV.

3. You’re not really saving that much on weight. The G9+12-35 f2.8 weighs 963g while the a7ii+28-75 f2.8 weighs 1100g, a ~12% difference.

4. A better future for mirrorless FF system. Hate to say it but sooner or later the MFT will die. Hell, even APSC might die. FF mirrorless is the future. Lenses are constantly coming out and third party brands like Tamron has been coming out with insanely value oriented lenses for the average consumer. If I ever decide I was to upgrade, I can simply just upgrade my body and keep all my lenses. If I invested into the MFT system only to sell everything in a few years to upgrade to FF would feel like a waste.

As much as I wanted to get the G9 for its feature packed body (best IBIS, rugged and weather sealed, dual card slots, 4k60, in camera image stacking and 4k live crop) the bokeh, price and future proofing was what led me to choose FF. For reference, I’m a hobbyist that just takes family and travel pictures. I don’t do any client work. If this camera was on sale for $1000-1200, it would be a lot harder to choose between MFT vs used FF. Feel free to PM if you have any questions. Typed this out on mobile so it was a little rushed haha.
[OP]
Oct 10, 2019
420 posts
421 upvotes
TCB069 wrote: I wish I bought this when Amazon had it on sale for $1199. Regretted it since. Waiting for it to drop down to that again.
WOWWW!! $1199. Now that is a GREAT price!!!! My Hot Deal just got a tad warmer. :-)
Mar 14, 2018
37 posts
25 upvotes
Just get whatever suits your needs. For example, low light capability is a need for a lot of people, so MFT is not a good option for these people. So big companies don't care to cater the small amount of people who are actually suitted for the MFT. Not future proof. FF bodies will continue to get cheaper and better while MFT will become a unprofitable product and eventually dropped. Just my 2 cents.
Dec 1, 2012
320 posts
114 upvotes
Victoria
416vtyou wrote: I tried to convince myself so bad to get this camera as a prosumer/hobbyist due to the amazing reviews but in the end the cons of the MFT system was just too much for me.

1. The bokeh. There’s really no equivalent to a fast prime (ex. 35mm f1.2) on a MFT system. The closest there is iirc was the Voigtlander 25mm f0.95 but that’s a manual focusing lens. With a zoom lens like the Lumix 12-35 f2.8, that’s f5.6 in FF bokeh and that’s just not enough for portraits in my opinion. I remember reading very good things about the speed booster Sigma 18-35 combo but the autofocus isn’t really reliable so that was shutdown.
You need to do more research, I'm sorry but that is a completely bogus statement.

If I go on B&H and do a search limited to
  • Auto-focus only
  • 25mm to 75mm primes (50-150mm on FF) a range generally accepted to be useful for flattering portraits
  • Fast lenses, all at least f/1.8 or better
There are 19 different lenses to choose from. How is that not enough choice?
416vtyou wrote: 2. Used FF is cheaper. This was what made me go FF. I found a used a7ii body with less than 2000 shutter clicks for $750. Paired it with a used tamron 28-75 for $1000. Had I gone MFT, I would’ve went with the G9 ($1500), 12-35 f2.8 as my general walk around zoom ($1200) and the speed booster Sigma combo for portraits (~$1000). I must admit though, I got an INSANE deal on the a7ii so YMMV.
Seriously? Comparing used prices to brand new? Especially when we're talking about the G9 which is now 3 years old, I bought a minty G9 for $900 and the 12-35 for under $600. Pretty sure I could pick up a nice 42mm prime for portraits and still be ahead on both price and weight.
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2016
1663 posts
1606 upvotes
rraj2k9 wrote: I have a D750 and picked up the G9 recently. This camera is one of the most under-rated mirrorless on the market right now, despite being a couple of years old.

4. High Resolution Mode.
The problem is, you are paying an arm and a leg for those features. It is a hard sell to convince someone to buy M4/3 instead of FF at this price point. Sure the lens might be cheaper, but the body being this expensive turns most people away. At the end of the day, m4/3 cameras have a hard time beating APS-C in image quality, nevermind FF. Like you said m4/3 you can go up to 800 ISO and be ok. APS-C can go up to 3200 and FF can go 12800. At the end of the day you are paying premium for a smaller weight and size.
Best shopping deals I got from here:
Asus Zenfone 3 Zoom $300, ZTE Blade V8 Pro $175, Fluld 55' 4k TV $360

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)