Shopping Discussion

Vizio TV purchased last year from Costco had minor issues, what should I do? Anyone had a similar experience?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 4th, 2020 6:41 pm
[OP]
Dec 14, 2012
188 posts
73 upvotes
EDMONTON

Vizio TV purchased last year from Costco had minor issues, what should I do? Anyone had a similar experience?

Purchased a Vizio M65 not sure f0 or g0, 2018 model last year when it's on sale from Costco. It is not even one year old.
I purchased a 5 year extended warranty from Costco.

Now I am having issues with turning the TV on, it won't turn on by the remote after left off for a couple of hours or so. I had to do unplug the power cord, then plug back.
Then it will turn on but slowly, trying to load the apps, and often fails the initial attempt, I had to press the Amazon Prime button on the remote for it to load Amazon Prime first, then exit the app to be at the apps manu (shows a bunch of apps including youtube etc..)... and sometimes non-responsive for a while but eventually will turn on.

So, by all means, the TV still works, just very annoying when you can't turn it on and have to do the power cycling thing.

Should I be contacting Vizio for this issue? What would they do?? Send someone to repair it? I don't want anyone to come to my house during Covid-19.

If it passes the manufacture warranty after 2 years, how easy it is to deal with Costco? Do they usually send someone to repair it?
28 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4192 posts
3470 upvotes
Toronto
I had a similar problem with a Sony TV and Android TV built-in. It turns out it was a software issue with a VPN app I had installed. With the app installed, something happens to the network settings when it goes into the normal "off"/"sleep" mode and it won't wake up normally. I would basically have to power cycle it and it would take a few minutes to start up because it was a full reboot. I somehow narrowed it down to the app, and uninstalling it fixed the problem.

While your TV doesn't have Android TV, it's possible it's a software instead of hardware issue. You can uninstall apps until you figure it out, or do a factory reset and don't install any apps and see if it still happens. If it still happens after a factory reset and no new apps loaded, then it's a hardware issue and should be covered under warranty.
[OP]
Dec 14, 2012
188 posts
73 upvotes
EDMONTON
Thanks! Unlike android TV, I have zero control of the apps. The apps are pre-installed.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2200 posts
1096 upvotes
London
windenchanter wrote: Thanks! Unlike android TV, I have zero control of the apps. The apps are pre-installed.
they would be updated via a firmware update. have u checked that the tvs firmware is up to date
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
19924 posts
5308 upvotes
Off the 404
Vizio software is terrible. I owned a P55. I can only suggest resetting the TV settings, or just avoid using the TV for anything other then a screen and use a different device.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4192 posts
3470 upvotes
Toronto
windenchanter wrote: Thanks! Unlike android TV, I have zero control of the apps. The apps are pre-installed.
You should still try a factory reset so that you'll know for sure. In my case, even though it seemed like a hardware issue, it turned out to be a software issue. As Aaron158 suggested, make sure you're on the most current firmware, too. If you call in for warranty service, the first thing they will ask you to try is a factory reset anyway, to eliminate a software issue.
[OP]
Dec 14, 2012
188 posts
73 upvotes
EDMONTON
Thanks, I will try that. I am sure software is up to date, but firmware... I am not sure.
[OP]
Dec 14, 2012
188 posts
73 upvotes
EDMONTON
I will try the firmware idea, then the reset... hopefully, it works. So frustrating.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
13254 posts
7376 upvotes
Toronto
Call Costco’s Concierge service
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2744 posts
1943 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
windenchanter wrote: Purchased a Vizio M65 not sure f0 or g0, 2018 model last year when it's on sale from Costco. It is not even one year old.
I purchased a 5 year extended warranty from Costco.
I believe you have the Costco concierge service for two years so give them a call. They'll tell you what you can do.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2001
6519 posts
4517 upvotes
Purchased a P55-F1 in 2018 and I've been getting horizontal black bands recently. Vizio covers the first 2 years of warranty, so called them up and because they no longer have the same model, they will be sending me a P659-G1.

Anyone know what happens with the Costco warranty since the TV is now different than the one I purchased?
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2200 posts
1096 upvotes
London
9394 wrote: Purchased a P55-F1 in 2018 and I've been getting horizontal black bands recently. Vizio covers the first 2 years of warranty, so called them up and because they no longer have the same model, they will be sending me a P659-G1.

Anyone know what happens with the Costco warranty since the TV is now different than the one I purchased?
probably void most companies considered the extend warranty filled if a replacement is issued. although u would probably get a new manufactures warranty at the last on the replacement tv since they would go by the manufacture date of the new tv most likely. u could try contacting costco though maybe they will transfer it to the new tv or maybe u can get a refund for any extra warranty u bought since u tech never used the warranty u bought from them.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2001
6519 posts
4517 upvotes
aaron158 wrote: probably void most companies considered the extend warranty filled if a replacement is issued. although u would probably get a new manufactures warranty at the last on the replacement tv since they would go by the manufacture date of the new tv most likely. u could try contacting costco though maybe they will transfer it to the new tv or maybe u can get a refund for any extra warranty u bought since u tech never used the warranty u bought from them.
Actually, I just spoke with Costco Concierge and they told me when I get the replacement, to phone them and they will refund me the Extended Warranty for the old TV and then I can re-buy for the new TV since the warranties are attached to individual TVs.