• Nov 3rd, 2016 7:05 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 15, 2009
178 posts
11 upvotes

VOIP features: VOIP.ms or Anveo?

So, I've finally got my Google Voice working through my OBi100. I am about to port my home phone. I can make all my outgoing calls either through GV or my mobile device (which has unlimited Canada calling).

My E911 is on my mobile device, so I don't need to have it on my VOIP. So with VOIP.ms I am really only paying ~$1/month for the DID and 1¢/minute for incoming calls, but it gives me far more features than FPL (without the up-front cash outlay).

The alternative is Anveo, which will cost $2.80/month for the DID and E911, and includes free incoming calls. I doubt I get 200 minutes of incoming calls a month.

So, the final factor is features. Are there any features offered by Anveo or VOIP.ms that would decisively recommend one over the other?
35 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3311 upvotes
OriginalMacBabe wrote: So with VOIP.ms I am really only paying ~$1/month for the DID and 1¢/minute for incoming calls, but it gives me far more features than FPL (without the up-front cash outlay).
In the end, you'll still end up paying more than you would with FPL (and there's unlimited included minutes), but if you're satisified with that, that's fine.

You have to deposit $25 USD with VoIP.ms to get started anyway.

I believe the minimum for Anveo (retail) is $20 USD, but I can't remember for sure. If you have $10 or less sitting on your account, they won't refund it.

I think the minimum deposit for Anveo Direct (wholesale) is $50 USD, but again, I'm not positive.
The alternative is Anveo . . . and E911
With Anveo (retail) the E911 fee only applies if you sign up stating that you live in Canada or the U.S., not that I'm advising you to do otherwise.

There's also Anveo Direct (wholesale), by the way, which, afaik, does not offer E911 and, consequently, can't charge charge you for it.
http://www.anveodirect.com/
So, the final factor is features. Are there any features offered by Anveo or VOIP.ms that would decisively recommend one over the other?
- Anveo has a call flow builder (similar to making a flowchart), which is a pretty powerful and flexible way to deal with how you want to handle incoming calls: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_0VjgOFk_I

- Anveo does have automatic failover, so if one of the PoPs (say, the one your ATA is registered with in Montreal) goes down (and dns-srv is enabled in your ATA), in theory, your ATA will register with another PoP (probably the one in New York or Dallas) automatically. VoiP.ms does not offer this. Anveo fans typically will point out that Anveo is more reliable than VoIP.ms due to automatic failover.

- Anveo's Canadian PoP is in Montreal. VoIP.ms may have something closer to you. I, do, by the way, consider this to be a significant factor. I like low pings to SIP servers and low jitter. So the closer I am to a sip server, the better, all other things being equal.

- Anveo (retail) tends to use tier-1 carriers by default (this matters for long distance calls), whereas VoIP.ms does not (you need to compare with Premium routing rates when using VoIP.ms).

- Anveo has limited free support tickets (after using them you have to pay), and deposits you make to your account go through a verification process first (so funds aren't deposited immediately on your account). I believe deposits may take up to 8 hours to show up on your account.
VoIP.ms has free customer support (and it tends to be very friendly and nice, in my experience).

- VoIP.ms has a fax beta in progress, which is now open to the public (but faxing requires that you get a specific fax DID with them). VoIP.ms does not currently support T.38 (but does through its fax web portal on the backend). Anveo offers a fax online portal that does offer T.38 fax protocol support. Without the fax portal, however, Anveo (retail) does not support T.38. Anveo Direct (wholesale) offers T.38 fax protocol support via its Prime routing.

Hope that helps
Last edited by Guest1284983 on Jan 26th, 2015 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Dec 15, 2009
178 posts
11 upvotes
Webslinger, thank you. You have been so incredibly patient and helpful through this process for me. I've probably not been clear enough.

All I really want is to keep my phone number. My cell phone has unlimited Canada-wide calling. I now have the Google Voice number and my OBi to make US calls.

I'd be happy just finding a service where I can port my current home number and have it permanently forwarded to my cell. I have a 6-handset phone system that is bluetooth enabled so I can use the handsets for all calls made with my cellphone when I am in the house.

If I am going to go to a VOIP, I'd like to have features that include things like both name and number CID, call waiting, the ability to record calls, accept SMS, voicemail to text (I'd prefer that over email, but I'll take either), and have a softphone I can put on my cell so if I travel, I can still access it over WiFi and I won't have to roam with my mobile device. (which will be the next thing I investigate).

At the moment I don't travel much and I don't get a lot of calls, I have my cell phone, and now I have Google Voice. I have not found myself in great need of fax ... almost everyone is accepting documents through email now. In the future I anticipate having more incoming calls, but there I can always phone back anyone I intend to speak with for more than a few minutes.

The problem isn't about up front money, it is about the amount required for the service obtained. FPL has unlimited calling, and after 3 years or so it really is free compared to the others that will continue to charge me $2-3/month, but it doesn't offer the features, which may very well be worth the minimal cost.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3311 upvotes
OriginalMacBabe wrote: I'd be happy just finding a service where I can port my current home number and have it permanently forwarded to my cell.
You can do this with FPL, but it will cost a $79.95+tax sip fee plus $25+tax to port your number in. That said, you'll never pay again.

If I am going to go to a VOIP, I'd like to have features that include things like both name and number CID, call waiting,
I don't know of any VoIP service that doesn't offer this.
the ability to record calls
You can do this with your OBi by logging into the IP of your device and navigating to status-->call status while a call is in progress. Click the "record" button that appears.
accept SMS
http://wiki.voip.ms/article/SMS (I've never tried receiving, but the feature appears to be in beta)

and

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r26901522-ANVEO-SmS

I've never bothered with SMS using VoIP services, but those links might be useful.

FPL does not offer this.
voicemail to text (I'd prefer that over email, but I'll take either)
Anveo (retail) offers that: http://www.anveo.com/developers/feature ... il_to_text
I don't know about Anveo Direct (wholesale).

VoIP.ms does not.

Both FPL and VoIP.ms can forward the voicemail as an audio file attachment to your email.
and have a softphone I can put on my cell so if I travel, I can still access it over WiFi and I won't have to roam with my mobile device. (which will be the next thing I investigate).
For Google Voice use Google Hangouts smartphone app (texts can be sent and received using your Google Voice number in Hangouts)

For all SIP accounts (any VoIP account), you can use any decent SIP app (Groundwire, for example) and use your SIP settings in that program. You'll be using wi-fi or cellular data to use those VoIP accounts.

If you prefer using regular cell calls (free calling using fav/fab/my, free calling across Canada included in cell plan, or have free incoming minutes), you can dial into your OBi (and, if you want, have it call you back if you have free incoming minutes) and dial out using your VoIP services. This is the Auto Attendant feature.
I have not found myself in great need of fax ... almost everyone is accepting documents through email now.
You'd be amazed at my doctor, (health) insurance companies, some credit card companies, Equifax, some real estate companies, etc.
There are lots of times I've wished fax would die.
Last edited by Guest1284983 on Jan 26th, 2015 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Dec 15, 2009
178 posts
11 upvotes
OK then. The texting is just for my niece who is in the US - the Google Voice number is in her area code so she can call and text me locally; Google Hangouts will be fine. Can I also make calls using my Google Voice number from Hangoutst? If so, then I don't need to worry about roaming in the US.

It would be nice if people could also text my home number, but it isn't essential.

You are right ... I don't know why I'm making it complicated. My mobile is Telus SK, so quite good. I now have GV for US calling. I'll pay FPL once and have my home phone done. I'll do as I always do, and forward to my cell when I leave the house.

About the $50 SIP credentials from FPL. Once I purchase that, they belong to me and I can put them into any ATA I own? Or, if I decide to buy a different ATA do I have to purchase them again?

What is the OBiON app for?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3311 upvotes
OriginalMacBabe wrote: OK then. The texting is just for my niece who is in the US - the Google Voice number is in her area code so she can call and text me locally; Google Hangouts will be fine. Can I also make calls using my Google Voice number from Hangoutst?
Absolutely

So can I program the OBi to use the Google Voice service when I dial a number in any area not covered by FPL
Yes. You'd be probably better off asking here:
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?board=3.0

or do I need to know that
Typically, you would want your home phone service setup on SP1 and Google Voice setup on SP2. (You've probably got that in reverse though)

So, in the scenario I described when you dial out normally, you would dial out using your home phone service. If you need to use Google Voice, you would dial **2 before the phone number.

Will I be able to spoof my home number over the Google Voice number
No. Google Voice does not allow spoofing.
What is the OBiON app for?
Allows you to call other OBi devices or endpoints using your smartphone or allows you to bridge calls using your ATA (can call out using it)
Dec 23, 2014
36 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto, ON
OriginalMacBabe wrote: All I really want is to keep my phone number. My cell phone has unlimited Canada-wide calling. I now have the Google Voice number and my OBi to make US calls.

I'd be happy just finding a service where I can port my current home number and have it permanently forwarded to my cell.
Have you considered porting your number to Fongo and using their mobile app to setup the call forwarding? This way you don't have to pay the $50 fee to get the the sip information. That will take care of your incoming calls. and no monthly fee for the DID.

For outgoing calls you already have your cellphone and google voice.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3311 upvotes
OriginalMacBabe wrote: My mobile is Telus SK, so quite good.

Oh, you're in Saskatchewan?

Unh, I might advise you to go with VoIP.ms instead of FPL then.
voip.freephoneline.ca (one of FPL's sip servers) seems to be in Milton, Ontario.
And Anveo's Canadian PoP is in Montreal.

Can you use WinMTR and provide the results here to that server, please (or pathping it)? Let it ping about 100 times. If the results are bad (high pings with lots of variance), don't go with FPL.
Ex. From a command prompt c:\> pathping voip.freephoneline.ca

I don't need to know the first line (the first hop). But everything after that would be good.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3311 upvotes
Schung123 wrote: Have you considered porting your number to Fongo and using their mobile app to setup the call forwarding? This way you don't have to pay the $50 fee to get the the sip information. That will take care of your incoming calls. and no monthly fee for the DID.
Yeah, that's another possibility. I have to admit that I'm not entirely clear on what is wanted.

I thought a home phone number was wanted, just ported to a SIP account, so that it could be used on the OBi?
I thought the existing phones at home were supposed to ring using a Canadian DID.
[OP]
Dec 15, 2009
178 posts
11 upvotes
Schung123 wrote: Have you considered porting your number to Fongo and using their mobile app to setup the call forwarding?... That will take care of your incoming calls. and no monthly fee for the DID.
I can do that? It won't get confused?

That might work. If I can get my handset to work properly - it is supposed to connect via bluetooth to my cellphone.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3311 upvotes
OriginalMacBabe wrote: I can do that? It won't get confused?
It will work. I've done it before. Your Telus cell will ring when someone calls the Fongo Mobile number (when the call is forwarded to your Telus number).