Computers & Electronics

VoIP (FPL) + VPN (PIA) = Calls Not Working?!

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 26th, 2015 5:27 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4451 posts
2140 upvotes
Toronto

VoIP (FPL) + VPN (PIA) = Calls Not Working?!

My Setup...
VoIP Service = FreePhoneLine (FPL)
VPN Service = Private Internet Access (PIA), routed through the Netherlands or USA server
ATA Device = OBiHai OBi200
Router = Asus RT-N66U, flashed with latest Merlin firmware; VPN service toggled on/off using OpenVPN Client

I'm trying/testing out VoIP for a month, with the hopes of eventually cutting the cord on my Teksavvy (Bell) land line and then porting my number over. I got FPL setup on my OBi200 and it works FLAWLESSLY, calls are crisp/clear and I'm beyond impressed, so far.

Only thing is, when I turn on my VPN service (Private Internet Access, routed through the Netherlands or USA server) for for downloading my torrents/accessing American content; my VoIP service goes dead. it seems as though FPL will not allow routing to out of country VPN servers. I dial the number, and get silence for about 15 seconds, then I hear three tones/beeps followed by the message "The number you dialed, 1234567890, has not received a response from the service provider", and then it repeats the message... never connecting the call. The third/right-most status light on my OBi200 also goes dead (meaning no phone service). If I immediately switch off my VPN and redial, everything returns to normal.

I'll admit that networking is not my strong suit, but I'm assuming (please exclude my VERY crude/simplistic understanding) that a router (especially a higher model N66U flashed with Merlin) has the ability to actually ROUTE specific traffic on my network for specific IPs. I'm positive I'm not using this router to its fullest capability.

I like the idea of going into my router and flipping a switch to activate either one of my VPN servers whenever I need it (I don't need them running all the time though). However, I can't live with losing my phone service every time I need to access my VPN.

Is there a way to either:
1) Maintain the ability to switch my VPN on/off, however have the IP of my ATA OBi200 (perhaps a fixed assigned IP) bypass the VPN altogether and go through my Canadian ISP server only? (preferred method, if possible)
2) Have specific traffic on my network, ie: Torrents, routed through a specific VPN server, while all other network traffic goes through my Canadian ISP server? I'm guessing filtered by some kind of port restriction.

Any help is appreciated guys, this could be a make-or-break issue for me in cutting the cord on my land line.

Thanks!
28 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2012
4547 posts
1045 upvotes
London
There's probably a better way, but you can double-NAT...so place another router before your Asus and and place your ATA there rather than behind the Asus.

Alternatively if you get an ATA that has a routing function you can switch the ATA and the Asus so the ATA is first.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4451 posts
2140 upvotes
Toronto
Scycotic wrote: There's probably a better way, but you can double-NAT...so place another router before your Asus and and place your ATA there rather than behind the Asus.

Alternatively if you get an ATA that has a routing function you can switch the ATA and the Asus so the ATA is first.
Yeah, I still have my old Linksys DIR-655 that my N66U replaced, kicking around.... but I find it hard to believe that the Asus can't route traffic internally. Plus I already have enough network clutter on my desk: modem, router, switch, ATA... too many blinking lights! LOL

The ATA feature you mention is on the OBi202... unfortunately, I have the OBi200 with only the one ethernet port.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
3909 posts
2338 upvotes
Ottawa
I THINK this might be a DNS problem, since I remember reading about someone having problems with FPL service behind a router, and it turned out to be a DNS problem.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4451 posts
2140 upvotes
Toronto
Akitakara wrote: I THINK this might be a DNS problem, since I remember reading about someone having problems with FPL service behind a router, and it turned out to be a DNS problem.
ooooh really? Please tell me more. If it's a matter of just switch DNS' that would be great.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 4, 2009
6575 posts
726 upvotes
Repooc wrote: ooooh really? Please tell me more. If it's a matter of just switch DNS' that would be great.
Your VOIP requires a certain single port open right? PIA has exactly one port open, but u don't control that port. You are notified of the port number and you'll have to change it on voip device, and have to port forward it on your router.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2011
1073 posts
528 upvotes
Toronto
I'm an FLP user along with PIA, and I'm having no problems at all (using a Grandstream 286 ATA).
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4451 posts
2140 upvotes
Toronto
rageking wrote: Your VOIP requires a certain single port open right? PIA has exactly one port open, but u don't control that port. You are notified of the port number and you'll have to change it on voip device, and have to port forward it on your router.
I didn't know that PIA only has one port open. How is that I have traffic working perfectly fine on other ports? I'll look to see if this really applies to PIA or not.
46jimbo wrote: I'm an FLP user along with PIA, and I'm having now problems at all (using a Grandstream 286 ATA).
Are you using international servers? Which ones? Do you have your ATA port set to a specific port as defined by PIA (as suggested by rageking, above)?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 4, 2009
6575 posts
726 upvotes
Repooc wrote: I didn't know that PIA only has one port open. How is that I have traffic working perfectly fine on other ports? I'll look to see if this really applies to PIA or not.

Are you using international servers? Which ones? Do you have your ATA port set to a specific port as defined by PIA (as suggested by rageking, above)?

obviously port 80 would also be opened for webtraffic as well as for ports for email traffic. But for nonobvious ports only 1 port is available and it's whatever PIA gives you.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2011
1073 posts
528 upvotes
Toronto
Repooc wrote: Are you using international servers? Which ones? Do you have your ATA port set to a specific port as defined by PIA (as suggested by rageking, above)?
To test things, I used the Netherlands (like you) and everything worked fine. I have no forwarded ports on my setup.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4451 posts
2140 upvotes
Toronto
rageking wrote: obviously port 80 would also be opened for webtraffic as well as for ports for email traffic. But for nonobvious ports only 1 port is available and it's whatever PIA gives you.
Just finished chatting with PIA tech support, they said the following:
"In order to connect to our service using one of the VPN methods we provide please verify you can connect over these ports:
TCP ports 80, 110, 443, and 1723
UDP ports 53, 500, 1194, 1701, 4500, 8080 and 9201

If you can connect over any of those, you should be able to use at least one of our connection methods.
You can use any of these ports with our service."

What's weird is that my port # set for Torrenting through uTorrent, certainly isn't any one of those ports noted above and my torrent downloads/speeds are fine.

Furthermore, in my router's OpenVPN Client settings, the port # is set to 1194 (which agrees with the above)
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4451 posts
2140 upvotes
Toronto
46jimbo wrote: To test things, I used the Netherlands (like you) and everything worked fine. I have no forwarded ports on my setup.
Darnit, I really wish you had an OBi200 so I could just copy your settings.

I'm looking through my settings, and it seems like the port settings for FPL are set to port # 5060... I did not set this, it was the default on the OBi ATA.

Do you, by any chance, know what your default port setting is?
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4451 posts
2140 upvotes
Toronto
PROBLEM SEMI-SOLVED!

I hope this helps someone in the future....

It really wasn't complicated at all, and really a lot of it came down to pure luck (I was just poking through different menus on in router). You don't need to mess with any port-forwarding, assigned device IPs, etc.

In the latest Merlin firmware build, 374.40, installed on my ASUS RT-N66U; you need to access the following:
Advanced Settings (left side bar) > WAN > NAT Passthrough Tab (top right)

The default settings were:
PPTP Passthrough = Enable
L2TP Passthrough = Enable
IPSec Passthrough = Enable
RTSP Passthrough = Enable
H.323 Passthrough = Enable
SIP Passthrough = Enable
Enable PPPoE Relay = Disable

I set all settings to "Disable"

Low and behold.... I can now place/receive calls on my VoIP FPL line on either the Netherlands or USA PIA gateways!!

EDIT: This only SEMI-works because....
Unfortunately, this only works on the FIRST call. Any subsequent calls, it rings perfectly fine but when the person on the receiving end picks up, they can hear me but I cannot hear them. All I hear is dead silence. I'm totally lost now as to why it would work one minute and then revert to a one-sided call thereafter. Thing is, when I change any of the settings above to enable and then disable again, I can make 1 more call again where both parties can hear each other.

Gah... so frustrated right now.
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2012
4547 posts
1045 upvotes
London
Repooc wrote: PROBLEM SOLVED!

I hope this helps someone in the future....

It really wasn't complicated at all, and really a lot of it came down to pure luck (I was just poking through different menus on in router). You don't need to mess with any port-forwarding, assigned device IPs, etc.

In the latest Merlin firmware build, 374.40, installed on my ASUS RT-N66U; you need to access the following:
Advanced Settings (left side bar) > WAN > NAT Passthrough Tab (top right)

The default settings were:
PPTP Passthrough = Enable
L2TP Passthrough = Enable
IPSec Passthrough = Enable
RTSP Passthrough = Enable
SIP Passthrough = Enable

Changed to the following settings:
PPTP Passthrough = Disable
L2TP Passthrough = Disable
IPSec Passthrough = Disable
RTSP Passthrough = Disable
SIP Passthrough = Enable

Low and behold.... I can now place/receive calls on my VoIP FPL line on either the Netherlands or USA PIA gateways!!

I'm so happy right now!
What you just did doesn't make any sense to me but so long as it works...maybe there was a bug or something and those settings fixed it somehow. Disabling VPN and streaming passthrough really shouldn't make a difference AFAIK.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4451 posts
2140 upvotes
Toronto
Scycotic wrote: What you just did doesn't make any sense to me but so long as it works...maybe there was a bug or something and those settings fixed it somehow. Disabling VPN and streaming passthrough really shouldn't make a difference AFAIK.
I edited my post after further testing.

It works on the first call, but any calls thereafter I cannot hear the person whom I am calling from my VoIP line. Back to square one.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4451 posts
2140 upvotes
Toronto
What's even weirder....

I've since tried placing my OBi200 ATA device into my routers DMZ. Now when I call my workplace office (downtown), I get HEAR my voicemail message (obviously, because I'm not there on a Sunday night). But if I call my house landline or my wife's cell phone, she can hear me, but I cannot hear her.

Gah...
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
2681 posts
1482 upvotes
Hometown
Repooc wrote: What's even weirder....

I've since tried placing my OBi200 ATA device into my routers DMZ. Now when I call my workplace office (downtown), I get HEAR my voicemail message (obviously, because I'm not there on a Sunday night). But if I call my house landline or my wife's cell phone, she can hear me, but I cannot hear her.

Gah...
I had the same problem... this fixed it.

https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=2164.0
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4451 posts
2140 upvotes
Toronto
Canuck2fan wrote: I had the same problem... this fixed it.

https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=2164.0
You..... MY FRIEND.... I owe you a beer!!!. (I'm dead serious... if you're near Bay/Bloor downtown)

I can't believe this actually fixed it!!!

I can now make consecutive calls, and hear the person I'm calling! What a simple yet glorious fix!!

I'm so grateful, Canuck2fan... you've been thanked.

I hope others find this thread useful.
Deal Addict
May 26, 2011
1804 posts
476 upvotes
Vancouver
Can anyone explain why on earth setting the device to 100Mbit/full duplex solves one-way audio???
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4451 posts
2140 upvotes
Toronto
that's exactly it.... I would have never thought of searching for this solution nor thought it would solve my problem, because the post in that link is affected by a conpletely different issue.

perhaps to the earlier poster in this thread who said he had no issues with his vpn + voip, maybe his grandstream ata runs at full duplex as default.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)