• Nov 7th, 2019 7:51 am
[OP]
Nov 27, 2003
40 posts
2 upvotes
New Westminster

VOIP Home Phone - Magic Jack

All,

Hoping there are some VOIP (not Shaw etc.,) home phone users here, especially if you are using Magic Jack.

Shaw is charging me $43/mo for home phone (yes, we still need it) and I did buy Magic Jack and have been using it for about 5 months and am pretty happy with it.

I'm trying to get a better deal from Shaw but even the best deal will cost me about $180.00/year whereas Magic Jack is $39/year + one time cost to port my number.

Question I have is this:

1. If I port my number, and one year later I decide I don't like them how easy is it to port back?
2. Has anyone ported their Canadian number over (they are a US company and honestly support is pretty shitty, but I don't need a lot of support)
3. What if they went broke -- who "owns" that number? Me or them? Could I get it back?

Any other information anyone has would be appreciated including other comparable VOIP services in Canada.

Thanks!
14 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2018
1292 posts
1299 upvotes
We dumped our home phone years ago but recently brought one back into the house due to a recent change in our personal situation.

We went with Koodo. $5 month for 12 months. There was a one time connect fee. I think it was $35 but I can't remember 100% but it was around there. Don't need to make a call from a computer either. We pulled our old cordless set out of storage and it works great
Apr 18, 2011
9 posts
6 upvotes
You can always port your number back and forth from any provider to any provider. There is no restrictions on that.
I have ported my number from Bell to VOIP. There are many VOIP services out there like voip.ms and others.
Hope this helps - feel free to ask more details...
Jun 21, 2008
545 posts
145 upvotes
mississauga
HghSsociety wrote: We dumped our home phone years ago but recently brought one back into the house due to a recent change in our personal situation.

We went with Koodo. $5 month for 12 months. There was a one time connect fee. I think it was $35 but I can't remember 100% but it was around there. Don't need to make a call from a computer either. We pulled our old cordless set out of storage and it works great
just remember, it goes up to$20 p.m. after 12 months. I had it for a year and was pretty happy with it. I also had voip.ms and that was good too
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
42732 posts
6933 upvotes
Have you looked into Vonage as an alternative? Been a customer for couple of years now.
Blanka
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35722 posts
21805 upvotes
Center of Universe
Check out Ooma.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27792 posts
13392 upvotes
djemzine wrote: Vonage
They still exist?
There's a name I haven't heard in like 15 years, around the same time I ditched them and went to voip.ms
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2252 posts
1485 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
I use Netfox for $16.95/month, no increase as yet and it has been over a year. You do have to buy their modem (plug into router) but after that any home style telephone will work. It can also be easily connected to your old telephone demarc whereby any jack in the house will then work.
“Don’t irritate old people. The older they get, the less “Life in prison” is a deterrent."
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
42732 posts
6933 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: They still exist?
There's a name I haven't heard in like 15 years, around the same time I ditched them and went to voip.ms
Lol. Yes they do exist. The only issue that I've had is sometimes the call quality or when someone tries to dial our #, it gets redirected to someone else's home. Has happened few times.
Blanka
May 29, 2004
473 posts
125 upvotes
I use Teksavvy TekTalk Basic for $9.95/month + tax. You will need to buy their modem as well. Or you use app like zoiper if you don't want to get their modem. If you plan to use the modem and zoiper, you will need to recent your modem again in order to use it again after you use zoiper.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27792 posts
13392 upvotes
djemzine wrote: The only issue that I've had is sometimes the call quality or when someone tries to dial our #, it gets redirected to someone else's home. Has happened few times.
That raises further questions.

My favorite issue when I had them was that my (Canadian) number was somehow on a US Carrier so some geolocation based phone systems would forward me to the US side instead of the Canadian side.
UPS did this for some reason. It was impossible to call UPS Canada via their toll free.
Why they didn't look up based on area code is beyond me...
Jan 29, 2007
32 posts
11 upvotes
Comox Valley
I have been using Shaw phone along with the internet and TV for years. I talked to Shaw several times about the price of my phone service, and they decreased the charge to $10/month. The regular price is about $25-30 /month. Phone them up and ask if they can do anything to reduce the cost. It sure saved me a bundle of $$$.
[OP]
Nov 27, 2003
40 posts
2 upvotes
New Westminster
Thought I'd update this with what happened.

Called Shaw, didn't really get anywhere with them. So I signed up with VOIP.MS and started to port my number over.

Got a call from Shaw as soon as I was going to port it, and they offered me a pretty awesome deal -- but of course will have to see if they extend it 2 years later when it comes up for renewal.

In order to keep me they gave me a discount on my Internet 600 PLUS an awesome discount on the phone.

So Internet 600 was $105 less $35 discount so that works out to $75.00/mo and for the phone I was paying $43 and they gave me a $38 discount/month so that works out to $5.00/mo.

So am only paying $80.00/mo (plus taxes).

I still have a deposit at Voip.MS and may sign-up for it using the lowest "tiers" I'd be paying around $5.00/mo CDN. I can't port my number anymore as I am locked in at Shaw until 2021.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27792 posts
13392 upvotes
beemer wrote: I still have a deposit at Voip.MS and may sign-up for it using the lowest "tiers" I'd be paying around $5.00/mo CDN.
You could get a pay as you go DID for $0.85/month.
The $5/month one comes with unlimited incoming calls which isn't really needed unless it's your primary number.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6070 posts
1331 upvotes
Montreal
Exactly. unlimited incoming wouldn't be worth it. Remember it doesn't include outgoing calls.
If it were me, I would just ask VOIP.MS for a refund for now.
Phils