Expired Hot Deals

VoIP.ms

$1 Account Credit for Every Number Ported In (New & Existing Customers) Until June 21, 2020

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 9th, 2020 10:33 am
Sep 26, 2012
389 posts
248 upvotes
North York
Canuck_TO wrote: I'd like to get this service for my mother.
Can anyone suggest a cheap phone or ATA device that I can use with this service?
I have an Obi200 and it has been rock solid for years. If getting it shipped to the US is an option Amazon.com has it for $50 USD.

If you don't need texting another service option is Freephoneline. $25 port-in fee and $100 to use it on your own ATA, but completely free afterwards for Canada wide calling.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
9267 posts
16754 upvotes
Montreal
Canuck_TO wrote: I'd like to get this service for my mother.
Can anyone suggest a cheap phone or ATA device that I can use with this service?
Here is the link for the Grandstream that "silverknight921" suggested.
$53.48 on Amazon.ca
simplypop wrote: Is it easy to get setup? Issue for me which I haven't found an answer too, does it work with alarm systems? Is there also a way to test 911? Looking to get this for seniors. Where would I start lol
I don't have an alarm system.

"To test that your Caller ID is working properly, you can Dial 1-555-555-0911 from VoIP.ms Network. The system will playback your Caller ID, then make a short pause, and play the test result."

Source

You could also call 911 and immediately say that this is NOT an emergency call and confirm that they see your address.

"Where would I start?"
Google best VoIP in Canada or Voip or VoIP.ms and start reading. :)

On Red Flag Deals: Best VoIP provider in Canada
Jun 4, 2015
108 posts
100 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Temporel wrote: Here is the link for the Grandstream that "silverknight921" suggested.
$53.48 on Amazon.ca

I don't have an alarm system.

"To test that your Caller ID is working properly, you can Dial 1-555-555-0911 from VoIP.ms Network. The system will playback your Caller ID, then make a short pause, and play the test result."

Source

You could also call 911 and immediately say that this is NOT an emergency call and confirm that they see your address.

The grandstream was on sale for $40 about three weeks back on Amazon. You can also look at Obihai or Cisco SPA, ATAs. I think Voip.ms has a e911 test, details here: https://wiki.voip.ms/article/E911.
Aug 21, 2004
102 posts
5 upvotes
I just submitted my request to port my landline number from Rogers home phone to Voip.ms. After the confirmed that my phone number is portable, I bout the Grandstream HT802 from Amazon and set it up. I submit the request to port the number -before testing if the phone would work :(
I use my cell phone to call my landline but it doesn't ring. I contact Voip but they could not figure out why it is not ringing. They asked me to contact Rogers. Rogers support is saying that there is nothing wrong from their side. I am now caught in between the 2 companies.

If I do not get a solution, I will have to cancel porting my number and I m stuck with a brand new device that I bought from Amazon. Grrr. Very frustrating situation.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
9267 posts
16754 upvotes
Montreal
seen444 wrote: I just submitted my request to port my landline number from Rogers home phone to Voip.ms. After the confirmed that my phone number is portable, I bout the Grandstream HT802 from Amazon and set it up. I submit the request to port the number -before testing if the phone would work :(
I use my cell phone to call my landline but it doesn't ring. I contact Voip but they could not figure out why it is not ringing. They asked me to contact Rogers. Rogers support is saying that there is nothing wrong from their side. I am now caught in between the 2 companies.

If I do not get a solution, I will have to cancel porting my number and I m stuck with a brand new device that I bought from Amazon. Grrr. Very frustrating situation.
I'm sorry to read that you are having difficulty going VoIP.
Check list:
- you have money in your VoIP.ms account;
- you have received confirmation from VoIP.ms that your Rogers phone number has been ported successfully;
- you have configured your VoIp.ms account and DID correctly - ask VoIP.ms to look at both to see if it seems all right;
- if you are behind a separate router, try to plug directly into your modem.

I would suggest that there is something wrong in the Grandstream setup.

To see if the problem is the phone number or your Grandstream ATA settings try the following:
Install free Zoiper (a softphone) on your laptop or desktop, fill in your credentials, see if it registers and try to call someone.
If it works, there's no problem with the phone number, it's the Grandstream ATA setup.

How to install Zoiper.

Have you followed the VoIP.ms wiki about how to set-up the Grandstream HT802?
Have you updated the firmware?
Try to find a forum about setting up your Grandstream.

In any case, even if you can't use the Grandstream, you will be able to sell it easily on Kijiji.

What's important, is that you have already made the move away from your hefty monthly Rogers bill.
That means that in the next decade, you will save thousands of dollars even if you have to buy another ATA.
Dec 25, 2007
647 posts
622 upvotes
Vancouver
VoIP.ms has been great. Used them to spin up many small - medium sized call centers over the years. Very good reliability and good support.
Aug 21, 2004
102 posts
5 upvotes
Temporel wrote: I'm sorry to read that you are having difficulty going VoIP.
Check list:
- you have money in your VoIP.ms account;
- you have received confirmation from VoIP.ms that your Rogers phone number has been ported successfully;
- you have configured your VoIp.ms account and DID correctly - ask VoIP.ms to look at both to see if it seems all right;
- if you are behind a separate router, try to plug directly into your modem.

I would suggest that there is something wrong in the Grandstream setup.

To see if the problem is the phone number or your Grandstream ATA settings try the following:
Install free Zoiper (a softphone) on your laptop or desktop, fill in your credentials, see if it registers and try to call someone.
If it works, there's no problem with the phone number, it's the Grandstream ATA setup.

How to install Zoiper.

Have you followed the VoIP.ms wiki about how to set-up the Grandstream HT802?
Have you updated the firmware?
Try to find a forum about setting up your Grandstream.

In any case, even if you can't use the Grandstream, you will be able to sell it easily on Kijiji.

What's important, is that you have already made the move away from your hefty monthly Rogers bill.
That means that in the next decade, you will save thousands of dollars even if you have to buy another ATA.
Thanks for your response!;
you have money in your VoIP.ms account; Yes
- you have received confirmation from VoIP.ms that your Rogers phone number has been ported successfully; It is in the process but I have another number in my voip account that the phone is defaulting to
- you have configured your VoIp.ms account and DID correctly - ask VoIP.ms to look at both to see if it seems all right;I sent a screencap of my setup and it looks fine
- if you are behind a separate router, try to plug directly into your modem.The ATA is connected directly to Roger's internet modem

Voip.ms support confirmed with me that I should be able to receive calls using my already existing DID with thems so the call to my landline will be routed through my existing DID.

I now understand why people stick with Rogers. LESS headache. The only thing that I need to try is updating the firmware.
Aug 21, 2004
102 posts
5 upvotes
I updated the firmware but it is still not working.
Questions: is the blue light icon for the phone port supposed to flash or stay solid? mine is flashing and I am wondering if this normal. Anyone has the Grandstream HT802?