• Last Updated:
  • Jun 22nd, 2020 11:51 am
Tags:
Feb 28, 2012
784 posts
930 upvotes
PressureBoom wrote: This is very helpful, thanks! Did you have to change any server settings or anything went you went abroad?
NEMESIS_2008 wrote: In short answer, no. I had it to toronto1@voip.ms. This server did a great job overall.

However you are correct to change the server that has the best ping time.
VoIP.ms has servers in London, Paris, Amsterdam, Melbourne.
With the VoIP.ms Console app (Android), you can easily check latency (ping).

Note: when you change the server your client registers to, be sure to route any DID to use the same POP, for reliable inbound calls.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1850 posts
582 upvotes
N.B. I did some more testing in the field conditions.
Protocol 722 HD voice sounds great on LTE,
and I did not notice any choking, so I'm swithcing to it for now.

Jitter/ping on LTE can go to a 100ms while driving,
but it does not seem to affect voice quality much.

Smoothnesz of hand-overs between wifi and LTE seems
to depend on device. It can go completely seamlessly on
newer devices, or choke for a half-minute on older ones..

FYI
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2004
1007 posts
835 upvotes
Vancouver
On a different note with VoIP.ms/ground wire setup using g729, I often when driving in my car, when receiving calls only have 1 way incoming audio, the other party cannot hear me. When not in the car it works fine. If I call them right back it works fine. Any ideas?
Temp. Banned
Feb 28, 2005
3168 posts
1186 upvotes
Montreal
a_dee wrote: On a different note with VoIP.ms/ground wire setup using g729, I often when driving in my car, when receiving calls only have 1 way incoming audio, the other party cannot hear me. When not in the car it works fine. If I call them right back it works fine. Any ideas?
No idea... did you try G711u?

I’d reach out to voip.ms support, they been great when I needed them!
Maybe try a Speedtest while driving to see your jitter/ping? 🤷‍♂️
Client at: Tangerine, VoIP.ms, Virgin Mobile
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1850 posts
582 upvotes
I'd say based on my first impression that 722 is better than 729 on LTE..

Sounds beter and no stsbility issues... Could someone else try to compare? :)

P.S. One has to enable G722 on voip.ms side as well. For (sub)account in use.
Jul 26, 2017
205 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
Is this easy to setup? I need something for Sunday, wondering if i could get this going by then? Also i dont have a data plan would just be using wifi,would that be a problem?
Temp. Banned
Feb 28, 2005
3168 posts
1186 upvotes
Montreal
bestbudz wrote: Is this easy to setup? I need something for Sunday, wondering if i could get this going by then? Also i dont have a data plan would just be using wifi,would that be a problem?
should work fine with wifi, given your wifi is good to start with.

all you need for voip.ms is to sign up, pay the initial amount ($15 ? I forget)

some initial configuration is needed
Client at: Tangerine, VoIP.ms, Virgin Mobile
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
5574 posts
1120 upvotes
Montreal
It'll work fine on a good wifi signal.

If you're just setting it up on a smartphone, you can get it going barebones pretty quickly and then setup some of the other features as you figure them out. For example, you can set it up in the main account and then go back and set-up a sub-account after you've got it working.

In Android you can sideload CSIPSimple to get going. It's one of the best free apps out there.
Phils
Aug 12, 2018
29 posts
16 upvotes
Hello everyone,

I have a question here.

Can You use groundwire (using voip.ms as voip provider) to place a call through PUBLIC MOBILE's 3G speed? I mean the quality of that call, is it any good based on the signal is good?

anyone tried on this?

let me know.

thanks. I will share with you why I ask after.

sam
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1850 posts
582 upvotes
unclesamxu wrote: Hello everyone,

I have a question here.

Can You use groundwire (using voip.ms as voip provider) to place a call through PUBLIC MOBILE's 3G speed? I mean the quality of that call, is it any good based on the signal is good?

anyone tried on this?

let me know.

thanks. I will share with you why I ask after.

sam
Yes, absolutely. Voip requires far less than a mbps. Perhaps tens of kbps?

"PM 3G" is 3 mbps or so?

The crucial part for sound quality is jitter/ping (less than 10/100 let us say)
You can see both during a Groundwire call if u click on the little (i) icon ...
Jul 16, 2008
247 posts
64 upvotes
ON
Need some help regarding sending SMS through Groundwire.

I am able to receive sms in Groundwire but cannot send out sms.

I tried to switch server.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks.
Aug 12, 2018
29 posts
16 upvotes
Here is why I ask,

To start with, I have a Mi mix 2, beautifule phone. I am with fido $7.50/ 3 GB data only for two years. I am using groundwire with voip.ms for over 1 year already on this setup and 90% happy with it. the other 10% , well no MMS but I can manage it with receiving only through fido line when I need to .

It all starts with COVID-19 ! I am bored at home and checking if there is a update on the phone and xiaomi roll out 11.0.5 china rom. I was on 11.0.2 china rom. I was so bored , I did the upgrade. nightmare started, the new system so aggressive on battery management that all the push related app not working fully except Wechat. I think xiaomi did something to it. Groundwire was the one hit most, push won't come through after turn on the phone for about 10 minute. even in standard mode , groundwire won't last over an hour, then won't receive any calls. What's app, gmail ... all apps using push got affected, will come through , but not instantly. reliable phone call in is every important to me. For now , My solution is , reuse my already-retired-2-years-alcatel one touch to run groundwire and wifi hotspot, all other apps using MI mix 2. I need to carry two phone at the same time. it is just ridiculous. DON'T UPGRADE TO 11.0.5 IF YOU HAVE A XIAOMI DEVICE !!!!

This is what I am thinking:

Buy a public mobile $13/250MB plan , Let's call it PB# . Order another DID through voip.ms, Let's say DID 2(US$0.85/month). my current DID with voip.ms is DID 1.
First of all , setup call forwarding with DID 1 to PB#.
secondly, setup a callback rule , callback # is PB#, and caller ID set to DID 1.
all set.

So now , IF:
1) someone calls me , which is DID 1, my real phone number PB# will ring and make call through that but through real phone line network .
2) I want to make a call.
I can call through groundwire using DID 1 OR
I can call through PB# or groundwire using DID 1 to DID 2 then hangup and wait for voip.ms calls back to PB# and then make a call through real phone line network, still people who received my call will display my DID 1 number.

For messaging , I will just forward all messaging to PB# so garrantee I will receive it.

By this way, I can use Telus network for voice call( public mobil $13 unlimited incoming call) and just carry one phone.

Do you guys think it will work ?

sam
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4037 posts
408 upvotes
Toronto
A little off topic, but for me voip on cell data is unusable now since carriers are inundated due to so many people at home. Network speeds are pretty crappy for me
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2006
2173 posts
506 upvotes
NEMESIS_2008 wrote: A little off topic, but for me voip on cell data is unusable now since carriers are inundated due to so many people at home. Network speeds are pretty crappy for me
Wouldn't opposite be true with everyone being on home Wifi network? I for one have hardly used any mobile data in the last two weeks.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1800 posts
516 upvotes
My Fongo VOIP has been even worse than usual now that everyone is at home.

Had to deal with cancelling air tickets last week and Fongo was unusable if the call lasted more than a few minutes. One of my calls lasted ~30 minutes, and at the end it would cut out for ~10 seconds at a time. This is on home wifi, Teksavvy 6 Mbps cable internet.

Lucky for me (sorry, bad pun), I had a Lucky Mobile sim card sitting on my table, so I activated it and got the basic plan, so I have reliable phone service for the time being.