• Last Updated:
  • Jun 22nd, 2020 11:51 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2006
1155 posts
50 upvotes
virulent wrote: Are you the only one they're calling? One possible option is to buy a local DID (to them) if available on voip.ms assuming they can call it for free themselves. So then it's a phone number in their country they can call you at. DID should be ~US$5-7/month with unlimited free incoming calls -- outbound would still be what you mention..
Actually I do all of the calling. What if I got a local did and called them using the local did. For example, I have great grand parents in Portugal that I call. If I got a local did and called her cell wouldn't it be cheaper because it would essentially be a Portugal to Portugal call, no? Am I missing something here?
Member
Mar 2, 2011
338 posts
183 upvotes
Ottawa
fogo wrote: Actually I do all of the calling. What if I got a local did and called them using the local did. For example, I have great grand parents in Portugal that I call. If I got a local did and called her cell wouldn't it be cheaper because it would essentially be a Portugal to Portugal call, no? Am I missing something here?
Sadly not, voip.ms would be terminating from Canada/US so the rates are based off of what their carriers here charge. Portugal VoIP providers might be able to offer really good rates. I tried to find a couple, but one I saw (Portugal local) was still ~0.07 eur/minute for mobile.. I also don't know much Portuguese Face With Tears Of Joy

If you want a hands-off approach, you'll need to search around to optimize for termination rate.

Easy example: Skype is C$9.50/mo for 400 mins to Portugal mobile/landline (0.023/min). Their PAYGO rates are 0.13 (mobile) or 0.03 (landline) so seems like the subscription wins easily as mobiles aren't extra. On the plus side, it's Skype, so it'll be painless and not having to deal with random companies. On the negative side, you can't get a local Portugal phone number, so you can't be called easily (seems OK with you) but at the very least Skype lets you set your caller ID so you will be recognized when calling.
2017 Ford Focus Electric (Kona Blue)
2019 VW Golf SportWagen CL 6mt + DAP (Tornado Red)
Member
User avatar
Dec 17, 2019
206 posts
200 upvotes
Montreal
fogo wrote: Actually I do all of the calling. What if I got a local did and called them using the local did. For example, I have great grand parents in Portugal that I call. If I got a local did and called her cell wouldn't it be cheaper because it would essentially be a Portugal to Portugal call, no? Am I missing something here?
VoIP doesn’t work like that.
A DID is really only for receiving calls, not making them.
The best I can think of is;
1. Buy them a DECT VoIP phone. Siemens makes nice ones. Configure it here, then ship it to them. Prerequisite: internet via ethernet

2. Get a techy in Portugal to configure a VoIP client on your relative’s cellphone. Ideally a trusted techy because the VoIP credentials are involved.

For both these options, calls would be free, on an ongoing basis.
I'm a customer at Public Mobile and VoIP.ms!
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2006
1155 posts
50 upvotes
virulent wrote: Sadly not, voip.ms would be terminating from Canada/US so the rates are based off of what their carriers here charge. Portugal VoIP providers might be able to offer really good rates. I tried to find a couple, but one I saw (Portugal local) was still ~0.07 eur/minute for mobile.. I also don't know much Portuguese Face With Tears Of Joy

If you want a hands-off approach, you'll need to search around to optimize for termination rate.

Easy example: Skype is C$9.50/mo for 400 mins to Portugal mobile/landline (0.023/min). Their PAYGO rates are 0.13 (mobile) or 0.03 (landline) so seems like the subscription wins easily as mobiles aren't extra. On the plus side, it's Skype, so it'll be painless and not having to deal with random companies. On the negative side, you can't get a local Portugal phone number, so you can't be called easily (seems OK with you) but at the very least Skype lets you set your caller ID so you will be recognized when calling.
danmartin471 wrote: VoIP doesn’t work like that.
A DID is really only for receiving calls, not making them.
The best I can think of is;
1. Buy them a DECT VoIP phone. Siemens makes nice ones. Configure it here, then ship it to them. Prerequisite: internet via ethernet

2. Get a techy in Portugal to configure a VoIP client on your relative’s cellphone. Ideally a trusted techy because the VoIP credentials are involved.

For both these options, calls would be free, on an ongoing basis.
Again than you for the education. Much appreciated.

The Skype option might be a winner here.
Sr. Member
Feb 28, 2012
784 posts
930 upvotes
virulent wrote: One possible option is to buy a local DID (to them) if available on voip.ms assuming they can call it for free themselves. So then it's a phone number in their country they can call you at.
fogo wrote: Actually I do all of the calling. What if I got a local did and called them using the local did.
A VoIP.ms Portugal DID will cost just $3 US monthly, with unlimited inbound minutes, for your relatives to call you.
You can set your VoIP.ms account to display that DID as your caller ID for calls to Portugal. Your folks will know who called and and can call you back local from any phone, landline or mobile, easy and free of charge for them..
Route the DID to your SIP account, to which you register your Obihai or mobile voip client. You'll want to use the same server for client registration as the POP server for the DID.

The cost for your calls to Portugal (termination) from your VoIP.ms registered device will depend on the rate centre (number prefix) of your relatives phone, look up rates on VoIP.ms.
https://www.voip.ms/m/rates/rates.php
Compare with the Skype option.
Last edited by pjw918 on Apr 28th, 2020 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sr. Member
May 7, 2012
936 posts
410 upvotes
fogo wrote: Actually I do all of the calling. What if I got a local did and called them using the local did. For example, I have great grand parents in Portugal that I call. If I got a local did and called her cell wouldn't it be cheaper because it would essentially be a Portugal to Portugal call, no? Am I missing something here?
1. I use voip.ms for some Europe calls. It's not the cheapest but the quality is good and it's convenient as I had already registered and have funds on account.
I am charged USD$0.026/minute (6 second intervals) for a couple of calls I make to cell phones even though the rate sheet says USD$0.11/minute. Perhaps the rate sheet isn't updated to reflect any updates in carrier contracts? Might be worth checking out. At least see if anyone on RFD makes calls to cells in Portugal or any other country you call.

2. Prepaid cards (CiCiEuro). I've suggested this in another thread and seems to work out to CDN$0.05/minute to Portugal mobiles.

3. Else you can check out other voip providers (see Anveo Direct <USD$0.01/minute)
Newbie
Aug 21, 2004
90 posts
1 upvote
I need toll free number to post on my website. Customers are in US and Canada. I want to link the number on my iphone as a second number. Do I need to purchase a box for this? an app?
Member
User avatar
Sep 14, 2012
202 posts
55 upvotes
Montreal, QC
seen444 wrote: I need toll free number to post on my website. Customers are in US and Canada. I want to link the number on my iphone as a second number. Do I need to purchase a box for this? an app?
It depends on how you want to set this up and whether you will just be answering calls when people call your toll free number or you want to make calls and have it appear as your toll free number.

If you are interested in just receiving calls from your toll free number on your iPhone, all you need to do is purchase a toll free number that works in both the US/Canada from a company like voip.ms and set it up via their website to forward calls to your cellphone number.

If you want to make outgoing calls and have it appear as if it is coming from the toll free number, you will need an VoIP app. I use GroundWire on my iPhone and Android phones (but there are many VoIP apps on both Android and iOS) with my voip.ms subscription. You can also configure the VoIP app for incoming calls so you use data as opposed to calls being routed to your actual cellphone number, you are using the app to answer the phone calls. For voip.ms, using an app to answer the calls is less expensive than having it forward to your cellphone number but your phone will need to have the app running in the background and consume data.
Banned
Apr 25, 2020
722 posts
550 upvotes
M1C
Got an email informing me of two New Points of Presence in Toronto, ON
Dear Soichiro ,

We just launched two (2) new Points of Presence (PoPs) in Toronto, ON to further improve our coverage and availability in this area and to continue scaling up.

The new PoPs are:

toronto9.voip.ms
toronto10.voip.ms
Read more at: https://wiki.voip.ms/article/Choosing_Server.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to us!

Thank you for being a VoIP.ms customer.

Best regards,
VoIP.ms Team
https://www.voip.ms
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
2362 posts
1928 upvotes
Montreal
It's not clear to me how you would chose your PoP:
Ok, you can ping, but from where?

If you're using GroundWire on your cellphone, sometimes it will connect from your home wifi, sometimes from your office WiFi if different, sometimes from the cell carrier's signal.

Won't the ping times be very different?
Especially with cellphones, do ping times vary by location? (Ie ping from downtown cell or ping from suburbs)
Member
User avatar
Dec 17, 2019
206 posts
200 upvotes
Montreal
FrancisBacon wrote: It's not clear to me how you would chose your PoP:
Ok, you can ping, but from where?

If you're using GroundWire on your cellphone, sometimes it will connect from your home wifi, sometimes from your office WiFi if different, sometimes from the cell carrier's signal.

Won't the ping times be very different?
Especially with cellphones, do ping times vary by location? (Ie ping from downtown cell or ping from suburbs)
yeah of course they will vary for a mobile device.
But for the most part, if you're in Montreal, servers in Montreal will usualy give you the best ping.

If you're travelling, then it's another story, especially overseas. You'd adjust your PoP then.
But if you're just going to Joliette, no point in changing the PoP.
I'm a customer at Public Mobile and VoIP.ms!
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
2362 posts
1928 upvotes
Montreal
danmartin471 wrote: But for the most part, if you're in Montreal, servers in Montreal will usualy give you the best ping.
To clarify: I meant how to chose among PoPs in a city. Like Montreal 1 vs Montreal 6 or 10.
Member
User avatar
Dec 17, 2019
206 posts
200 upvotes
Montreal
FrancisBacon wrote: To clarify: I meant how to chose among PoPs in a city. Like Montreal 1 vs Montreal 6 or 10.
I feel like it largely doesn’t matter. I tried pinging them all in a city and got largely the same ping times.
I'm a customer at Public Mobile and VoIP.ms!
Member
User avatar
Sep 14, 2012
202 posts
55 upvotes
Montreal, QC
FrancisBacon wrote: To clarify: I meant how to chose among PoPs in a city. Like Montreal 1 vs Montreal 6 or 10.
Not sure if it makes a difference but I generally "randomly" pick one for my closest location (Montreal). I will generally avoid the 1 as I feel that most people will pick this. Ping rates between them during my tests aren't significantly different to warrant changing it regularly.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
5574 posts
1120 upvotes
Montreal
I've been using Montreal 1 for more than 10 years when it was the only PoP. I've never switched and it's been rock solid.
Phils

Top