• Last Updated:
  • Jun 22nd, 2020 11:51 am
Tags:
Apr 23, 2009
248 posts
24 upvotes
GTA
I am copying my post from the Fido data plan (tech) thread, hoping for additional responses from those not using the Fido plan. Hope that's ok.

"Hi, I plan on using the Fido data plan with voip.ms & GV #. I’m in a process of porting a Fido Cdn # to voip.ms. Is it possible to use the voip.ms call forwarding to GV #? I am already calling out using GV app on android phone, but some people don’t want to make a LD call to my US GV #. I thought this way my Canadian friends can call the voip.ms Cdn #, but I can still receive those calls in GV app as well. Is this possible or best way to use both GV and voip.ms, using the Fido data plan? I am hoping that I don’t have to install a third telephone app (in addition to the native dialer app and GV app). Also wondering app conflict issues, e.g. what happens if I receive 2 calls at the same time (1 to GV #, 1 to voip.ms #).

How is the call quality between GV app and other apps that other voip.ms users are using? Is it worth having the third softphone app?

Also is it possible to block all data usage on my smart phone except for 1 or 2 phone apps most of the time (so that I can answer calls), then turn on data for other things as needed? I’ve read some articles on how to control data usage, but I have not been able to find what I am looking for.

BTW I also have a FPL # (not a Fongo #), which I only use for vm & to receive fax.

Thanks."

note - voice & text are disabled in the Fido data only plan.

Is this the main voip.ms discussion thread?

Thanks again!
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1850 posts
582 upvotes
emiabe wrote: I am copying my post from the Fido data plan (tech) thread, hoping for additional responses from those not using the Fido plan. Hope that's ok.

"Hi, I plan on using the Fido data plan with voip.ms & GV #. I’m in a process of porting a Fido Cdn # to voip.ms. Is it possible to use the voip.ms call forwarding to GV #? I am already calling out using GV app on android phone, but some people don’t want to make a LD call to my US GV #. I thought this way my Canadian friends can call the voip.ms Cdn #, but I can still receive those calls in GV app as well. Is this possible or best way to use both GV and voip.ms, using the Fido data plan? I am hoping that I don’t have to install a third telephone app (in addition to the native dialer app and GV app). Also wondering app conflict issues, e.g. what happens if I receive 2 calls at the same time (1 to GV #, 1 to voip.ms #).

How is the call quality between GV app and other apps that other voip.ms users are using? Is it worth having the third softphone app?

Also is it possible to block all data usage on my smart phone except for 1 or 2 phone apps most of the time (so that I can answer calls), then turn on data for other things as needed? I’ve read some articles on how to control data usage, but I have not been able to find what I am looking for.

BTW I also have a FPL # (not a Fongo #), which I only use for vm & to receive fax.

Thanks."

note - voice & text are disabled in the Fido data only plan.

Is this the main voip.ms discussion thread?

Thanks again!
Yes, you can forward voip.ms calls (0.01$ /min) and even SMS (free for now).
You will likely lose MMS on the way, as voip.ms does not currently support
MMS but promise they will do soon.

The best app for voip.ms is Groundwire (both calls and sms) . It peacefully coexists with GV,
and there are configurations options how to handle simultsneous calls.

Quality is comparable some ppl say GV is better but for me both are good.

As for as data blocking install a firewall if rooted (e.g. 3C toolbox Pro)

Otherwise it may be pain in the butt to block data?

N.B. apparently there are other firewalls that do not require root, e.g. NetGuard, but I have not tried it ...
Apr 23, 2009
248 posts
24 upvotes
GTA
I'm looking for an android softphone app with push notifications & reliable for voip.ms. Is there any FREE ones?

Alternatively, are there an app with one time payment option (as opposed to monthly subscription) that allows free trial period to test?

Thanks.
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
11762 posts
2903 upvotes
search in the computer section for the guide on how to setup a 3cx server for free with google

emiabe wrote: I'm looking for an android softphone app with push notifications & reliable for voip.ms. Is there any FREE ones?

Alternatively, are there an app with one time payment option (as opposed to monthly subscription) that allows free trial period to test?

Thanks.
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1850 posts
582 upvotes
emiabe wrote: I'm looking for an android softphone app with push notifications & reliable for voip.ms. Is there any FREE ones?

Thanks.
Groundwire is the best out there and it is one-time payment .. norially ~$10 but goes on sale. I got it for 3 bucks I think.
Apr 23, 2009
248 posts
24 upvotes
GTA
Tichi wrote: Groundwire is the best out there and it is one-time payment .. norially ~$10 but goes on sale. I got it for 3 bucks I think.
How do you get notified of the sale? Thanks.
Feb 28, 2012
784 posts
930 upvotes
emiabe wrote: How do you get notified of the sale? Thanks.
CSipSimple is entirely free and extremely reliable when properly set up to use TCP. It will maintain a rock-solid, persistent connection directly to the VoIP.ms server. No need to pay for a push service.
With TCP the keep-alive interval can be extended from a typical 30 sec for UDP to 1200 sec or more, reducing battery drain to insignificant, and incomiing calls always come through.
It's easy to set up, see the README at csipsimple.ca for pointers.
VoIP offers flexibility, economy, carrier & device independence
TCP for reliable inbound on mobile, least battery impact
VoIP.ms / CSipSimple.ca / VoIP.ms SMS / Groundwire
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
5582 posts
1124 upvotes
Montreal
I used CSipSimple for years until Groundwire went on sale and I switched. CSipSimple is very good. Groundwire is much better.
What I suggest is use CSipSimple until Groundwire has a sale and consider switching at that time. I think you'll have to side load it as, the last I heard, Google Play doesn't list it any more.

The way I found out about a Groundwire sale in the past was that someone would post it in the Hot Deals section.
Phils
Feb 28, 2012
784 posts
930 upvotes
Groundwire's push service is the justification for spending money on a SIP client, it's easier for most. It can't be faulted (generally) for performance.
There are drawbacks to using push. And it takes some effort (understanding) to get similar performance from a standard SIP client, which doesn't require an intervening push server..
CSipSimple is free and open source, and includes features other clients charge extra for. Example - ZRTP end-to-end encryption, a $30+ extra for Groundwire.
I use both, CSipSimple primarily. Glad to have the option on Android.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1850 posts
582 upvotes
pjw918 wrote:

CSipSimple is entirely free and extremely reliable when properly set up to use TCP. It will maintain a rock-solid, persistent connection directly to the VoIP.ms server. No need to pay for a push service.
With TCP the keep-alive interval can be extended from a typical 30 sec for UDP to 1200 sec or more, reducing battery drain to insignificant, and incomiing calls always come through.
It's easy to set up, see the README at csipsimple.ca for pointers.
Phils wrote: I used CSipSimple for years until Groundwire went on sale and I switched. CSipSimple is very good. Groundwire is much better.
What I suggest is use CSipSimple until Groundwire has a sale and consider switching at that time. I think you'll have to side load it as, the last I heard, Google Play doesn't list it any more.

The way I found out about a Groundwire sale in the past was that someone would post it in the Hot Deals section.
pjw918 wrote: Groundwire's push service is the justification for spending money on a SIP client, it's easier for most. It can't be faulted (generally) for performance.
There are drawbacks to using push. And it takes some effort (understanding) to get similar performance from a standard SIP client, which doesn't require an intervening push server..
CSipSimple is free and open source, and includes features other clients charge extra for. Example - ZRTP end-to-end encryption, a $30+ extra for Groundwire.
I use both, CSipSimple primarily. Glad to have the option on Android.
I like both GW and csipsimple, I used it few years back. However GW push is indispensable imo.

First of all, does Csipsimple handle SMS from voip.ms? It has some messaging feature, not sure if it works...

Secondly, how do you set standard SIP (/SIMPLE) to handle seamlessly e.g. network transitions wifi - data etc?
As far as I understand there are two most importanti timing parameters:
- SIP registration timeout typicalky 600 (seconds, i.e. 5 mins)
- keep-alive typically 30 seconds.

5 mins is pretty long time. If you go from wifi to mobile data you lose your incoming calls for 5 mins. If you set it shorter, you drain too much battery?

Keep alive, even short, does not help if your network changes?

Any tech advice? Thank you!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
5582 posts
1124 upvotes
Montreal
I use the VOIP.MS SMS app for SMS. I don't get a whole lot of SMSs to it so I can't really say much about it.
Phils
Feb 28, 2012
784 posts
930 upvotes
Tichi wrote: does Csipsimple handle SMS from voip.ms? It has some messaging feature, not sure if it works...
SMS over SIP works perfectly with CSipSimple, if you configure it correctly.

The dedicated VoIP.ms SMS Android app works well, in my experience.
Apr 23, 2009
248 posts
24 upvotes
GTA
Thanks pjw918 and Phils.
I read readme in https://app.box.com/s/6mxjgl8c06f96iufn6q3ghzq31lw0avz
Am I supposed to open the link in a web browser in android, and download
1.02.03-trunk.apk from that link, to get started?

I also found this guide (with screenshots, so it seems easier for me). Is this good to follow after installing the 2 files?
https://wiki.voip.ms/article/CSipSimple

Thanks.
Last edited by emiabe on Jun 3rd, 2020 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2004
2601 posts
610 upvotes
Montreal
I was fighting with grandstream app on my android phone for the the last couple of months.

This morning downloaded and installed groundwire.

Heck this is the best VOIP app I have used. Really worth paying for it.
Even my inbound and outbound sms work flawlessly!!

I should of bought it a long time ago.
| Intel I7 9700K | Asus Z390-E Gaming | Kingston HX426C13PB3k2/32 @ 2666mhz | Asus Strix RTX 2080 Super | 970 Evo Plus 500gb NVMe | Seasonic 750PX | Define R6 USB-C | H115I Pro | Klipsch R-41PM | Dell U3818DW | Logitech Craft | Logitech MX Master 3S |
Feb 28, 2012
784 posts
930 upvotes
emiabe wrote: Am I supposed to open the link in a web browser in android, and download
1.02.03-trunk.apk and codecpack-1.5.apk from that link, to get started?
You can download CSipSimple.apk, that's the more recent version (r2470).
Codecpack-1.7.apk is the last PlayStore version - but not necessary as the main app includes all the codecs VoIP.ms supports.
After you do the basic setup and successfully register (connect) for the first time, go back to Settings / Media / Codecs, and ensure PCMU is selected and moved to the top (that's the G.711u codec VoIP.ms supports).
I also found this guide (with screenshots, so it seems easier for me). Is this good to follow after installing the 2 files?
https://wiki.voip.ms/article/CSipSimple
That VoIP.ms WiKi page is old and for an early version of CSipSimple, it lacks some key points, including the importance of TCP.
The Account Creation section is okay - all you really need is your VoIP.ms SIP Username (acct.number), Password, and which Server you intend to use.
If you fill in the Caller ID field with your name, people with name display will see that when you call, you can leave it blank.
For Account Name 'VoIP.ms' is fine, unless you decide to start using sub-accounts or more than one DID.

On VoIP.ms, you'll need to complete the DID (inbound number) setup if you've ordered one, review the options under Manage DID. For Routing you'll be using SIP/IAX - [main account], unless you want to Call Forward your DID to another cell or landline.
You may want to setup voicemail once you have calls working.

Be sure to follow the bullet points in the CSipSimple.ca README under Reliable Inbound Calls.