• Last Updated:
  • Jun 22nd, 2020 11:51 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1850 posts
582 upvotes
pjw918 wrote: SMS over SIP works perfectly with CSipSimple, if you configure it correctly.

The dedicated VoIP.ms SMS Android app works well, in my experience.
Thank you! I will try Csipsimple again out of curiosity.
I have a question tho.. You suggest "TCP keep alive" parameter to 1200 seconds i.e. 20 minutes.

It is time interval between subsequent SIP registrations, is not it?

Dows it mean that if within 20 mins you change network from wifi to data or vice-versa, you lose incoming calls and SMS for up to 20 mins
until next SIP registration?
Feb 28, 2012
784 posts
930 upvotes
Tichi wrote: Thank you! I will try Csipsimple again out of curiosity.
I have a question tho.. You suggest "TCP keep alive" parameter to 1200 seconds i.e. 20 minutes.

It is time interval between subsequent SIP registrations, is not it?

Dows it mean that if within 20 mins you change network from wifi to data or vice-versa, you lose incoming calls for up to 20 mins
until next SIP registration?
We've been through this before Tichi.
Set TCP keep-alive to 1200 - 1800, CSipSimple will take care of the rest.
It will maintain registration and remain available for inbound calls.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1850 posts
582 upvotes
pjw918 wrote: We've been through this before Tichi.
:) yeah, I remember we discussed it, maybe I overlooked ur answer. I'l look it up.

But you did not give the direct answer now? In case of network change (wifi -data) will Csipsimple lose incoming calls for up to 20 mins?
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1850 posts
582 upvotes
pjw918 wrote: A direct registered, properly configured SIP client will maintain the SIP registration tenaciously, and you'll be available for calls almost immediately after your data connection is (again) established.
Ah.. Ok found it. Thanks! So, according to the above, SIP client communicates with server more often than registration time (1200 s)? How often?
Is there a parameter that defines this ?

Thank you!
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2011
2971 posts
12692 upvotes
Saint-Eustache
I'm trying to port my number from voip.ms to fizz, fizz doesn't transfer number from landline or voip.

Has anyone did a porting outside voip.ms?
Rogers Unlimited Province, 7gb $39/month! Thanks RFD!!
May 28, 2020
3 posts
Hey guys, I'm currently paying 19$ for a landline and was thinking of switching to something cheaper and simple for my mother to use. I've been hearing about voip ms, but have no idea how it functions? Can my mother use it just to make and receive calls? Also, is there a thread or a video in which I can learn about voip ms?
Dec 4, 2017
487 posts
196 upvotes
HarrisN38049 wrote: Hey guys, I'm currently paying 19$ for a landline and was thinking of switching to something cheaper and simple for my mother to use. I've been hearing about voip ms, but have no idea how it functions? Can my mother use it just to make and receive calls? Also, is there a thread or a video in which I can learn about voip ms?
Please fill me in on this $19 landline! While I use VoIP on mobile, I have been looking for a way to hand onto landline for my own and nearby family's homes. It appears nigh impossible to do for under $40 in Ottawa.
Apr 23, 2009
248 posts
24 upvotes
GTA
update re CSipSimple
Thanks pjw918 for your follow up advice. I installed the older (1.02.03) version earlier, so I re-did the process with the r2470 as you suggested.

I kept most as default setting except the following:
Under settings – network – transport – keep alive - changed the # to 1200 for the following 4 lines:
Wifi TCP keep alive
Mobile TCP keep alive
Wifi TLS keep alive
Mobile TLS keep alive

Under codecs under FAST - I put PCMU on top, but by default SILK and PCMA are selected and I left those on. Under SLOW – I put PCMU on top, but by default SILK, GSM, and PCMA are selected and I left those on.

I also followed the readme advice - android settings – don’t optimize for CSipSimple under battery optimization.

Not in the guides, but I also changed - Under android – settings – cellular data usage – CsipSimple – background data (enable usage of cellular data in the background, and unrestricted data usage (allow unrestricted data usage when data saver is on) are both turned on.

Now calling out seems to be working. The account is “registered” while I have wifi or cellular data.

Under easy configuration - call option - auto record calls - Is there a fee for this if I turn this on? I know voip.ms charges a fee if I turn on recording via voip.ms site.
Feb 28, 2012
784 posts
930 upvotes
emiabe wrote: Under easy configuration - call option - auto record calls - Is there a fee for this if I turn this on? I know voip.ms charges a fee if I turn on recording via voip.ms site.
There's no charge for using CSipSimple's call record option, the recordings will be stored on device, under /sdcard/CSipSimple/records.

Everything else looks good. Under Codecs you can uncheck SILK & PCMA (europe's G.711), leave GSM checked and PCMU first. You can also add G.722, now supported by VoIP.ms. You can uncheck Codec priority list per bandwidth, unnecessary unless you'll be using very slow (sub-3G) connections. There's a Play Store G.729 codec for CSipSimple that's now controlled by the company that puts out Zoiper, they still charge for it even though licensing is free now. G.729 is useful for slow or unstable connections, uses less bandwidth than G.711/PCMA, but doesn't sound quite as good. Opus is a very good codec, but VoIP.ms doesn't support it yet.

There are a ton of options on VoIP.ms, you can explore those when you're inclined. You can set up SMS for your DID, works fine from CSipSimple, fast and reliable, but you may prefer the interface of the VoIP.ms SMS app. VoIP.ms voicemail is good, in CSipSimple under the Account settings enter *97 under Voice Mail and check Subscribe MWI. CSipSimple handles voicemail and message notifications really well.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1850 posts
582 upvotes
pjw918 wrote: We've been through this before Tichi.
emiabe wrote: update re CSipSimple
Thanks pjw918 for your follow up advice. I installed the older (1.02.03) version earlier, so I re-did the process with the r2470 as you suggested.

I kept most as default setting except the following:
Under settings – network – transport – keep alive - changed the # to 1200 for the following 4 lines:
Wifi TCP keep alive
Mobile TCP keep alive
Wifi TLS keep alive
Mobile TLS keep alive

Under codecs under FAST - I put PCMU on top, but by default SILK and PCMA are selected and I left those on. Under SLOW – I put PCMU on top, but by default SILK, GSM, and PCMA are selected and I left those on.

I also followed the readme advice - android settings – don’t optimize for CSipSimple under battery optimization.

Not in the guides, but I also changed - Under android – settings – cellular data usage – CsipSimple – background data (enable usage of cellular data in the background, and unrestricted data usage (allow unrestricted data usage when data saver is on) are both turned on.

Now calling out seems to be working. The account is “registered” while I have wifi or cellular data.

Under easy configuration - call option - auto record calls - Is there a fee for this if I turn this on? I know voip.ms charges a fee if I turn on recording via voip.ms site.
Sooo.. Out of curiosity I've tested Csipsimple and Groundwire on the same phone and with the same voip.ms subaccount.
I've set "TCP keep-alive" (or SIP TCP registration timeout) to 1200 in both cases, and other bells and whistles as recommended above
(no battery optimisation, wifi locked always on, etc).

Sadly, I have to conclude that Csipsimple loses registration in the matter of minutes when the screen goes off, which results in the loss of SMS and voice calls.

While Groundwire functions impeccably.

It is an old hardware, Moto G LTE, but Csipsimple is also about the same age.
Perhaps Csipsimple might function better on a newer hardware, or more fine-tuning is required?

I have not even tested the transition from wifi to data.

Sticking to GW....
Feb 28, 2012
784 posts
930 upvotes
Tichi wrote: Csipsimple loses registration in the matter of minutes when the screen goes off, which results in the loss of SMS and voice calls.
It is an old hardware, Moto G LTE..
Is your Moto G on Android 6?
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1850 posts
582 upvotes
pjw918 wrote: Is your Moto G on Android 6?
Yes, Identity Crisis 6 v 1.5 rom. Is there a trick for android 6?
Feb 28, 2012
784 posts
930 upvotes
Tichi wrote: Yes, Identity Crisis 6 v 1.5 rom. Is there a trick for android 6?
I went through the same with a Moto E (2015). The issue is Google's implementation of Doze on Marshmallow.
It broke IMAP email (eg. K9, Aquamail), other apps too (Whatsapp). Once the device is dozed, only a high priority GCM notifcation will wake it.
"...high-priority notifications that aren't part of your carrier network (calls and texts) have to come through a Google Cloud Messaging server." (FCM now)

The 'don't optimize' app setting doesn't work, Marshmallow won't actually whitelist the app.

https://androidforums.com/threads/marsh ... st-7395980
https://android.stackexchange.com/quest ... -from-doze

My solution then was the Disable Doze app, but looks like it may no longer be available on Play Store.
The problem is Doze on Marshmallow, not CSipSimple.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1850 posts
582 upvotes
pjw918 wrote: I went through the same with a Moto E (2015). The issue is Google's implementation of Doze on Marshmallow.
It broke IMAP email (eg. K9, Aquamail), other apps too (Whatsapp). Once the device is dozed, only a high priority GCM notifcation will wake it.
"...high-priority notifications that aren't part of your carrier network (calls and texts) have to come through a Google Cloud Messaging server." (FCM now)

The 'don't optimize' app setting doesn't work, Marshmallow won't actually whitelist the app.

https://androidforums.com/threads/marsh ... st-7395980
https://android.stackexchange.com/quest ... -from-doze

My solution then was the Disable Doze app, but looks like it may no longer be available on Play Store.
The problem is Doze on Marshmallow, not CSipSimple.
OK, thank you for a detailed explanation!

I do not need to stick to android 6, my old trusted Moto G LTE is a backup/testing etc device...

Since I have GW I stick to it, but it is nice to know that there is a viable alternative to install on other family accounts.
Jun 30, 2014
242 posts
57 upvotes
YVR
nosnoop wrote: The Obitalk configuration UI for my Obihai 202 and 200 do not having this "Incoming Calls with Ring on" option.

The line is missing. Found this image on the web:

The firmware is up to date 3-2-2-5921EX.

Anyone know why the option is missing?
Without that option, how can I set incoming ring? I would like to turn off incoming ring with my GV.

This is what my UI looks like, and it's the same for OBi202 apart from the extra Phone 2 column:

I didn't see that this was answered.

It is because on the OBi202, there are two RJ11 ports on the back and you can connect two physical phones and set up one of the four lines to ring on the 1st while another on the second or both.
Whereas on the OBi200, there is only one RJ11 port and you can only connect one physical phone.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

rebjorne