Computers & Electronics

Voip.ms and alarm system (The Monitoring Centre)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 10th, 2015 2:48 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Aug 15, 2003
904 posts
175 upvotes

Voip.ms and alarm system (The Monitoring Centre)

Anyone care to share settings to get Voip.MS to work with alarm systems. The support guy told me to tinker with the codec and other settings.

Thanks!
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2674 upvotes
Vancouver
I'd like to know too. Presumably the G.711 codec offers the best sound quality, but maybe you have to tinker with all those schemes for touch-tone coding. How can you test it to know if it works?
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2012
4401 posts
860 upvotes
London
I'm not with voip.ms, but my ATA worked out of the box with my alarm system once I upgraded it to touch-dial. (Used to be pulse...)
Deal Addict
May 26, 2011
1802 posts
473 upvotes
Vancouver
The OBi's jitter buffer isn't configurable, so we can't tinker with that. Edit: with new firmware, now it is. If you configure your ATA with OBiTALK, you can use "Use This Service for a Security Alarm Line". If you configure your ATA manually, see https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8727.0 for instructions.

I wouldn't tinker with the codec; instead I suggest you use G.711u exclusively. (Uncheck everything else on the VoIP.ms dashboard.) You should also use Premium routing. If your alarm dials a toll-free number, be sure to set your toll-free routing to Premium with Canadian Carrier.

Another thing you can try configuring is DTMF mode. You need to set this both on your device, and on the VoIP.ms control panel, under Account Settings>>Advanced if you use the main account, or Edit Sub Account>>Advanced Options if you use a sub account. Try RFC2833 first and if that doesn't work try INBAND. This might not help as (so I hear) most alarm systems in Canada don't use DTMF but it's worth a try since it only takes a few minutes to do. If you already know your alarm doesn't use DTMF you can skip this.

The other thing I can think of to try is remove all devices from your network (except your OBi), and disable wireless on your router. If the problem is solved, then some other device on your network is using too much bandwidth and causing packet loss. This can be solved by making your QoS rules more strict.

Finally, be sure you're troubleshooting the right problem. I'm assuming that the alarm is dialing out but failing to transmit/receive data. It's possible there could be a dial plan or wiring issue preventing the alarm from dialing out at all. Check the VoIP.ms CDR to be sure a call is actually being established.
Last edited by PianoGuy on Aug 25th, 2016 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Aug 15, 2003
904 posts
175 upvotes
Thanks PianoGuy, I think the G.711u exclusively did it. Seems to work.
Aug 20, 2012
877 posts
31 upvotes
Sorry for bumping this old thread, but how exactly does VOIP / ATA or whatever, work with alarm system IF there is a blackout or power shortage?

Wouldn't the entire setup stop working due to power shortage? And if someone break in during that time, then it wont dial to the 'security centre' or whatever you call it?
[OP]
Aug 15, 2003
904 posts
175 upvotes
netbounty wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2013 4:07 am
Sorry for bumping this old thread, but how exactly does VOIP / ATA or whatever, work with alarm system IF there is a blackout or power shortage?

Wouldn't the entire setup stop working due to power shortage? And if someone break in during that time, then it wont dial to the 'security centre' or whatever you call it?
Backup power supply
Mar 3, 2006
454 posts
38 upvotes
netbounty wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2013 4:07 am

Just get a ups, but it's not an endless supply of power....
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2007
2882 posts
355 upvotes
Montreal
You need your modem and router also backed up on UPS. I still find alarm systems a waste of money...
Feb 1, 2005
193 posts
28 upvotes
Thought I would dig this up to add my 2 cents. Also have the obi110 and voip.ms... and I couldn't get it to work with my alarm system to save my life. Changed DTMF from hardware to software, made sure it was using 711u, changed DTMF to inband, adjusted volume out and in, same thing.

Then I signed up for Callcentric... works like a charm. *Shakes fist at voip.ms*
Jul 17, 2011
91 posts
13 upvotes
GTA
wilburyan wrote:
Jun 17th, 2015 9:48 pm
Thought I would dig this up to add my 2 cents. Also have the obi110 and voip.ms... and I couldn't get it to work with my alarm system to save my life. Changed DTMF from hardware to software, made sure it was using 711u, changed DTMF to inband, adjusted volume out and in, same thing.

Then I signed up for Callcentric... works like a charm. *Shakes fist at voip.ms*
which alarm company are you with?