• Last Updated:
  • Jan 1st, 2019 12:17 am
Tags:
None
Dec 6, 2012
274 posts
126 upvotes
Midtown Toronto
Quentin5 wrote: I don't quite understand what this service is, can it be used as a home phone over internet?

Is it cheaper then Fongo if home phone is what i am looking for? They have a $4.95 a month home phone service that i have been considering.
I ported to Fongo Mobile(not Fongo Homephone). For homephone, if you make lots of calls to Canada, Fongo Home phone will be cheaper because you pay only $4.95 per month flat. With voip.ms, you pay per minute for every call you make. If you make 1000 outgoing calls to Canada in one month, then it is 1000 times 0.0052 = $5.2. Your outgoing call cost alone (not including incoming calls and monthly fee) is already more than what you will pay if you were using Fongo Home Phone. Also remember it is US dollars.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
16314 posts
5567 upvotes
donbamo wrote: I ported to Fongo Mobile(not Fongo Homephone). For homephone, if you make lots of calls to Canada, Fongo Home phone will be cheaper because you pay only $4.95 per month flat. With voip.ms, you pay per minute for every call you make. If you make 1000 outgoing calls to Canada in one month, then it is 1000 times 0.0052 = $5.2. Your outgoing call cost alone (not including incoming calls and monthly fee) is already more than what you will pay if you were using Fongo Home Phone. Also remember it is US dollars.
Interesting, thanks
Fongo is pretty good but the app has issues they can't seem to resolve so i am not sure i want to try their home phone, but it does seem to be the cheapest option.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21436 posts
2265 upvotes
donbamo wrote: I ported my DID numbers to Fongo few months ago because i was tired of paying in US dollars. It adds up if you make lots of calls and have to pay in US dollars.

I topped up my old accounts just because of this promo and purchased a DID. I may end up cancelling the DID after i get the $15 bonus credit in January. VoIP.ms is now getting expensive because Canadian dollar is so low now compared to US dollar. I topped up $15 US ($16.95 with tax) and it was ~$24 Canadian. Canadian dollar is at a all time low.

VoIP.ms should either charge Canadian customers in Canadian dollars or get rid of the tax(if possible).

HINT: If you have a credit card that pays cashback (at least 1.5%) for foreign transaction then it may be worth it. Unfortunately i don't.
"Move" to Alberta and get a Rogers world MC.
Temp. Banned
Feb 28, 2005
3169 posts
1184 upvotes
Montreal
Quentin5 wrote: Interesting, thanks
Fongo is pretty good but the app has issues they can't seem to resolve so i am not sure i want to try their home phone, but it does seem to be the cheapest option.
Are you on iOS? I’ve has issues with Fongo iOS app.
I’m using their Fongo Works app now, works much better!
Client at: Tangerine, VoIP.ms, Virgin Mobile
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
16314 posts
5567 upvotes
marc_t wrote: Are you on iOS? I’ve has issues with Fongo iOS app.
I’m using their Fongo Works app now, works much better!
I'm on Android.
Fongo Works?
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Feb 28, 2002
732 posts
215 upvotes
Alberta
donbamo wrote: I topped up my old accounts just because of this promo and purchased a DID. I may end up cancelling the DID after i get the $15 bonus credit in January.
voip.ms wrote:Disclaimer
6. The credits received can not be exchanged for money, are not refundable and are not transferable. The credits received have no expiration date. In the event where the customer asks for a refund or cancels the DID in a 365-day period, the customer will lose the related credit.
Thought about it, even added the $15.
Then did the math (12 x $0.85 = $10.20 from $15.00 = $4.80 bonus) Changed my mind.

Remembered exchange rate, changed it back. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Now to decide where I need a phone # I'll never use.
Fido 3 GB 100% - 50%
Public Mobile Fall 2016
Dec 6, 2012
274 posts
126 upvotes
Midtown Toronto
charge wrote: Thought about it, even added the $15.
Then did the math (12 x $0.85 = $10.20 from $15.00 = $4.80 bonus) Changed my mind.

Remembered exchange rate, changed it back. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Now to decide where I need a phone # I'll never use.
I didn't see that. You are right. I might just let the DID sit in my account for just one year. Having $4.80 US after a year is not bad.
Feb 2, 2015
533 posts
155 upvotes
does it work if you already have a DID in your account and simply deposit 15 USD to the account?

I already have a DID and don't really want to buy another one
Jan 26, 2018
747 posts
393 upvotes
I find an interesting number but I already have a DID with voip.ms for so many years.
now I need a reason to buy the new number and maybe change the home phone number to the new one.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2014
1227 posts
589 upvotes
spammy wrote: does it work if you already have a DID in your account and simply deposit 15 USD to the account?

No, you have to buy a new DID during the promo period.
Jun 8, 2007
785 posts
167 upvotes
Oshawa
$0.85 to buy another did. I will cancel it as soon as my $15 shows up

spammy wrote: does it work if you already have a DID in your account and simply deposit 15 USD to the account?

Temp. Banned
Feb 28, 2005
3169 posts
1184 upvotes
Montreal
Bedpan wrote: $0.85 to buy another did. I will cancel it as soon as my $15 shows up
if you cancel the DID, they will take away the 15$ bonus.
It's in the TOS, and this thread.
Client at: Tangerine, VoIP.ms, Virgin Mobile
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2014
1227 posts
589 upvotes
larryperry wrote: Is SMS messaging (inbound/outbound) free? It seems like it from the website unless I've misinterpreted it
still free (for now)
"This feature will remain free for a limited period of time (the price will be $0.01 per message). "