Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
VoIP.ms

Replace your Bell/Rogers/Telus home phone with VoIP.ms to save hundreds of $$$ each year

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 10th, 2022 2:36 pm
Dec 25, 2012
824 posts
1289 upvotes
Ontario
I pay $13/month for my home phone with rogers, unlimited nationwide, caller id. I think that's pretty reasonable. no need for internet connection etc.
Last edited by micromen on Dec 1st, 2020 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2018
2722 posts
5383 upvotes
Winterpeg
First, I'd like to say I use Fongo and it's FREE! I've used it since day one. And it's still FREE.

In closing.... WOW.... this is my 1000th post. Whooooooo.
Telus EPP - $40 30GB data w/ Unlimited Canada Wide Talk/Text - Incl. Apple Watch LTE
Public Mobile $34 50GB 5G Unlimited Talk/Text Canada/US
TextNow SIM X 2 Unlimited US CAN MEX Talk/Text in US FREE! 1 CAD 1 US.
Fongo $17.99 12 month texting
Dec 1, 2018
462 posts
409 upvotes
ON
shawnie53 wrote: I'm making, receiving calls and SMS through the Ground Wire app and it's working very well so far. It even comes up as a call in iOS (ie: if the phone is locked, I can answer from the home screen).
ok, thanks, i will need to create and charge account for 20$ i guess to be able to port in a number? right?
KUBA: Know Understand Believe and Act.
Dec 5, 2010
237 posts
192 upvotes
St. Catharines, ON
everbird wrote: Is there anyway to show my regular cellphone number to show on display for recipient? or any other app? Reason being people reluctant to take the call when display number shows a different than my local canadian number.
Go to > Account Settings > General > CallerID Number > Use a Custom CallerID > Input you local Canadian number
Now, when you call people will see you are local Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2004
1360 posts
744 upvotes
Magoo wrote: Can anyone comment on whether voip.ms or any voip will work with apartment door systems to unlock the lobby door? I'm looking to switch my aunt From Bell to this and she lives in an older building. The super told me the system doesn't work with cell phones but he didn't say anything about voip.

TIA
No. If the system wont support cell phones, that means it's a hard wired system. VOIP will not be compatible.

Theoretically, she could keep a phone connected to the door system and only have it for that. Have another phone for actual calls.
Apr 1, 2007
531 posts
249 upvotes
Toronto
Question, what is a home phone?
Dec 5, 2010
237 posts
192 upvotes
St. Catharines, ON
I’ve been a FreePhoneLine customer for three years now and using them for my home telephone. Traveled in USA few days ago and decided to open a Google Voice account. For this purpose purchased a unique US number and was looking for a cheap place to park my new number. Seems like VoIP.ms is the best for this purpose!
Dec 5, 2010
237 posts
192 upvotes
St. Catharines, ON
Hardwired phone attached to your house. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Last edited by GenChick on Dec 1st, 2020 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 25, 2012
824 posts
1289 upvotes
Ontario
tor98 wrote: Question, what is a home phone?
It's a phone number that doesn't require you to have a cell phone. You get a handset from somewhere usually cordless and you can have it in your home for calls. Basically what people had before smartphones. It has its benefits, anyone can pick it up no passwords. You don't need to have a battery on a smart phone since it's base station plugged into the wall. It is always on and active. It doesn't need a plan and usually only cost $10-15/month or less If there is internet connection. Simple yet effective for talking which is the primary function of a phone. Anything else then a smartphone is usually better but you pay for it
Dec 25, 2012
824 posts
1289 upvotes
Ontario
GenChick wrote: Hardwired phone attached to your house. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Alot of home phones now don't even use the house jacks . The one I have from Rogers uses a box that plugs into the wall and has a sim, it connection to the cellular wireless network. Then I just plug my Panasonic headset to the box and it makes all the cordless phones with that base station active. So it's kind of nice compared to old phone wall plugs. You just need to plug in for power is all.
Apr 1, 2007
531 posts
249 upvotes
Toronto
Fongo home phone is $5 for unlimited Canadian calls. Never had their home phone, but their app on my cell is solid.
Aug 16, 2008
627 posts
462 upvotes
Toronto
GenChick wrote: I’ve been a FreePhoneLine customer for three years now and using them for my home telephone. Traveled in USA few days ago and decided to open a Google Voice account. For this purpose purchased a unique US number and was looking for a cheap place to park my new number. Seems like VoIP.ms is the best for this purpose!
Exactly. You can port your U.S. # to voip.ms. If you go with an Obihai you can use your GV number for free North American calling or just use it on your cell with Hangouts. Voip.ms also has Direct Inward System Dialing. Dial in to your new number from a local number, get a ringback and use voip.ms to call anywhere. The possibilities are endless with voip.ms. Been using it for 5 years. I feel like I run my own telephone company.
Fido $5/4gb + CPO tablet X1
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13940 posts
5439 upvotes
voip isn't for everyone

some 2fa doesn't work with call or sms
bank sms def doesn't work

if this is your primary/secondary line, stay away from voip

if it is a line for non-priority stuff then i'd say go for it
The sweetest gyal
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22706 posts
3697 upvotes
ArtJobs wrote: i see what you mean, but in case of SMS, it may not work, because normally A2P SMS should be authorized by terminating network, so if voip.ms does not have a2p connections with SMS originator, or thru the gateway of SMS originator, the messages might not go thru. that's my concerns, otherwise, of course this is a good opportunity to get just a data sim card and use voip with good apps.
i know android has got a native sip app, which is the best, i wish apple introduce one soon.
There were issues issues during the beta but since Jan all texts should be recieved. Never had an issue.
Apr 23, 2016
717 posts
960 upvotes
Kelowna
Magoo wrote: Can anyone comment on whether voip.ms or any voip will work with apartment door systems to unlock the lobby door? I'm looking to switch my aunt From Bell to this and she lives in an older building. The super told me the system doesn't work with cell phones but he didn't say anything about voip.

TIA
It is very much possible but requires some adjustment in your suite and the building's telco utility room. Most definitely not a diy thing. It's more of a "if you know a telco/cable guy and threw in a case of beer" kind of thing...
Sep 23, 2019
298 posts
356 upvotes
Toronto
I have been using voip.ms with a home phone and 2 cell phones (Zoiper app for calling and voip.ms sms for messaging) over last 5 years.

Here is my experience:
For a home phone, I am using an obi300 device with Costco regular Panasonic headsets all over the house. This setup is very stable, almost the same as a regular phone line with many more features. I would recommend this setup and it works great. Just a warning - initial setup of the device might not be trivial, but there are plenty of instructions online (if you are able to follow them - like can you figure out IP address of the newly added device obi device ?)
For cell phones, I am using fido 10$ and 15$ 3GB tablet plans. Honestly, I would not recommend voip service for the cell phone. It is not reliable unless you have a perfect data connection. I just decided to move my first phone line from voip to zoomer wireless. For example - I am in front of a doctor's office that requires a call-in to be let in and cell phone data is not good enough, so the doctor's office cannot hear me talking, even I can hear them. You often will not get good data connection in the middle of large Homedepot store, or in the middle of the mall, unless you connect to their local wifi, that can also have performance issues.
Last edited by RedFlagAlias on Dec 1st, 2020 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 13, 2009
458 posts
309 upvotes
Concrete Jungle
drsnikerfreak wrote: I feel like getting a wireless home phone plan instead is a better deal. Most carriers offer it for 10$ a month and it uses their cellular network instead of your internet. It also has a battery backup so you can still use it if the power goes out.
Which ones have a backup battery? I thought you have to get a separate UPS power bar?
Mar 2, 2015
563 posts
1272 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Bonks wrote: Anyone else get audio delays? I'm using VoIP.ms with Groundwire as my client and people pretty consistently tell me that my voice is delayed on their end.
No. Same setup on iOS and no delay. Check your codecs and internet connection. You can set it to prefer the mobile network. It was so good I disabled all codecs other than G722 (which is best quality but high bandwidth). If you have issues, leave it on G711u.
Feb 16, 2018
137 posts
55 upvotes
GenChick wrote: Go to > Account Settings > General > CallerID Number > Use a Custom CallerID > Input you local Canadian number
Now, when you call people will see you are local Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Excellent!! Thank you.
Dec 5, 2010
237 posts
192 upvotes
St. Catharines, ON
Dukman wrote: Voip.ms also has Direct Inward System Dialing. Dial in to your new number from a local number, get a ringback and use voip.ms to call anywhere. The possibilities are endless with voip.ms.
I have to look into this Direct Inward System Dialing. You see, English is not my native language. I'm already being shocked by VoIP.ms endless settings which look foreign to me. So, if I read something written in technical jargon, I might get confused and it would discourage me.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)