voip.ms offering free porting now

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 2nd, 2024 8:44 am
Deal Fanatic
Nov 29, 2007
6073 posts
6034 upvotes
No Bum Deals
max011 wrote: No, but your certainly is.

I'm just saying this is an old news, reposted two months after the fact [and original thread]. Which part you don't understand??
So you are thread crapping. I don't know if you noticed but it sparked some decent conversation on the subject, and still is.
Perhaps you need to find something else to do?
Last edited by pooper on Mar 6th, 2020 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
. 🡻 ԀՈ ⅄∀Ϻ SIHꓕ 🡻
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5582 posts
7781 upvotes
Vancouver
pooper wrote: So you are thread crapping. I don't know if you noticed but it sparked some decent conversation on the subject, and still is.
Perhaps you need to find something else to do?
Perhaps you should google "repost"??
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who gives up a little freedom to gain a little security, deserves neither and will lose both. (Benjamin Franklin)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5582 posts
7781 upvotes
Vancouver
Hahahahahhaha... Never I've seen anything so pathetic in my life, and on RFD.... downvoting my posted threads... hahaha... get the life....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who gives up a little freedom to gain a little security, deserves neither and will lose both. (Benjamin Franklin)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 29, 2007
6073 posts
6034 upvotes
No Bum Deals
max011 wrote: Hahahahahhaha... Never I've seen anything so pathetic in my life, and on RFD.... downvoting my posted threads... hahaha... get the life....
I'm chuckling because that wasn't me ;)
. 🡻 ԀՈ ⅄∀Ϻ SIHꓕ 🡻
Sep 26, 2012
485 posts
277 upvotes
North York
jarfgames wrote: Someone mentioned freephoneline earlier - you pay a bit upfront but then nothing more after assuming you’re only calling in Canada. So for some who just want incoming calls and Canada long distance with a few less bells and whistles, FPL could be a better option than VOIP.ms. Personally, I use an obi200 with FPL and GV and the combo works great to get me unlimited free calling in Canada and the US. I haven’t paid a single bill since 2016.
As a user of FPL and Voip.ms for many years I agree with jarfgames. If you just want unlimited free incoming/outgoing calls in Canada get Freephoneline. Aside from the initial setup costs of unlocking your credentials and getting a good ATA like the Obi200, there are no monthly fees so it can be cheaper in the long run. I do use voip.ms on my Fido data plan for my cell service due to its support for texting (beta feature that has been free for years so far). Michael Kourlas' texting app is a must for any voip.ms user because it works just like any other SMS app. Voip.ms might be a little intimidating for some users to setup as there are so many options, but I find the voice quality and call reliability to be better than services such as Fongo or Textnow.
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
12749 posts
25732 upvotes
Montreal
What's the current status of 911 service with Freephoneline.ca ?

"Please note, calls to 911 are subject to a $35 fee which is payable after the call is made, failure to remit payment may result in termination of service."

At $35 a pop, maybe you think twice before calling 911:

"Uncle Joe, are you sure it's a heart attack? Maybe it's indigestion..." Face With Tears Of Joy

Anyone got charged for this?
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2012
2962 posts
2338 upvotes
Calgary
Temporel wrote: What's the current status of 911 service with Freephoneline.ca ?

"Please note, calls to 911 are subject to a $35 fee which is payable after the call is made, failure to remit payment may result in termination of service."

At $35 a pop, maybe you think twice before calling 911:

"Uncle Joe, are you sure it's a heart attack? Maybe it's indigestion..." Face With Tears Of Joy

Anyone got charged for this?
One time my son decided to “try” 911 after learning about it at preschool. We were never charged. YMMV.
Nov 18, 2008
751 posts
532 upvotes
Toronto
daviiiiiid wrote: I found an Ooma Telo unit at value village. I think its about $20 to reactivate it under another account which I can do anytime.

Still have my landline with Bell but was thinking of just activating this Ooma. How would VoIP.ms do vs Ooma?
OOMA activated a used telo unit i bought from kijiji for free, didn't even have to ask.
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
3946 posts
2937 upvotes
Markham
roedoe wrote: What is this hold time? I am trying to get Ooma (already have the device) and I wanted to know the procedure of what to do... Do they give me a temporary number in the mean time? or how does the transfer work...
yes I got a temp number just so I can test out the feature (cost like $1.50 USD or some small amount). Once I am happy with it (use Cisco SPA112 $50 from Canada Computer and just followed their wiki setup instructions, looks daunting but really step by step, dont need to really understand the tech behind it). Took about 10-15mins. Did have to live chat them cuz since new acct, they still have to switch something on at their end (but their live chat rep are really techie and super knowledgeable and helpful). After that, everything up and running.
Test it for a day, then log in to voip.ms to start the porting process. Do NOT call Rogers to cancel or u lose your number. VOIP.ms provided update re process including date for Rogers to release the phone number. Once number is ported over, change the DID from temp to ur original Roger number and good to go. Make sure u cancel the temp number assigned or you will be paying for that each month.

I opt in for the 911 service but with our minimal use of the land/VOIP line, prob costs less than $5 a month compared to the Rogers "discounted" $25 a month.
I was stupid enough to "think" to continue with Rogers at $25 a month but they refused to roll the discount forward for another year. That "pushed" me to switch to VOIP and glad I did.

Re quality, I checked with mutiple people and they cant tell I am on VOIP when on the phone.

But yes it can look intimating on the setup of the hardware, so if someone wants a simple plug in, something like oomaa may be.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2003
2087 posts
504 upvotes
Toronto
I have ooma, but the voice call quality is poor. I chat with support and all they do is ask me to reset the device. I read that ooma servers are on the west coast, and I m on the east coast, so quality is expected to be bad. Wonder if voip.ms is better?
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
12749 posts
25732 upvotes
Montreal
zero_ wrote: (...) Wonder if voip.ms is better?
With VoIP.ms, about voice quality or features, there is nothing left to be desired.
Dec 1, 2018
462 posts
409 upvotes
ON
simplypop wrote: Tried before. Couldn't get it working consistently.
i never used it with voip.ms, but it certainly works with other providers and with a fax machine. but as suggested in some other comment you may want to use virtual fax? not sure on what is your need exactly
KUBA: Know Understand Believe and Act.
Deal Guru
May 23, 2003
10229 posts
1652 upvotes
GTA
As others mentioned, worth explore freephoneline as well. I helped some family members port over their landlines and they have been happy so far and it is just the two flat rates upfront (config file and porting fee). The fees have gone up over time but still reasonable as paid back over a 2 year period.

I am thinking of getting voip.ms to use for a business line replacement as technically freephoneline isn't supposed to be used for business/commercial use. I also would like to explore the extra features available. Is the only unlimited option the incoming plan or is there an option to cap out the outgoing calls in Canada too? On the rate page I just see unlimited incoming rate.

I second the recommendation for Groundwire too. I used the free Zoiper version before and have it on my mom's tablet but personally ended up buying Groundwire during a sale and very happy with it.
Sep 26, 2012
485 posts
277 upvotes
North York
YLSF wrote: I am thinking of getting voip.ms to use for a business line replacement as technically freephoneline isn't supposed to be used for business/commercial use. I also would like to explore the extra features available. Is the only unlimited option the incoming plan or is there an option to cap out the outgoing calls in Canada too? On the rate page I just see unlimited incoming rate.
There is an option to set the maximum call length for Can/US calls and international calls.
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
12749 posts
25732 upvotes
Montreal
monarchwest wrote: There is an option to set the maximum call length for Can/US calls and international calls.
Yeah but if your password is compromised, that option can be changed.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
9291 posts
2352 upvotes
Mont-Royal
what is the monthly fees? I guess did has a cost? and what else?
"Every marathon you run, your heart scars and you will die faster. If you think running a marathon is fitness, then you know NOTHING ABOUT HEALTH & FITNESS."
- Training 101
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
9291 posts
2352 upvotes
Mont-Royal
1) any of u guys able to get the unlimited in incoming with more than 2 channels at an additional cost?

2) used to see voip.ms for business has no unlimited incoming, did they remove the business plans and merge with residential?

3) Are their price in USD OR CAD?
"Every marathon you run, your heart scars and you will die faster. If you think running a marathon is fitness, then you know NOTHING ABOUT HEALTH & FITNESS."
- Training 101
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2005
3167 posts
1209 upvotes
Montreal
L4cky wrote: 1) any of u guys able to get the unlimited in incoming with more than 2 channels at an additional cost?

2) used to see voip.ms for business has no unlimited incoming, did they remove the business plans and merge with residential?

3) Are their price in USD OR CAD?
1. I don't think that will work.

2. They advertise their "unlimited" plan as 3500 minutes, so it's not really unlimited. They could do a better job explaining this honestly. I've raised it with them, but they haven't changed their marketing.

3. Everything is USD on voip.ms.

cheers
Client at: Tangerine, VoIP.ms, Virgin Mobile
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
23019 posts
6892 upvotes
Scarberia
Ot...my obi 200 is flashing red and green...is it defective now? Tia I'm using it with freephoneline.ca
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)