voip.ms offering free porting now

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 2nd, 2024 8:44 am
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
12749 posts
25732 upvotes
Montreal
PeZzy wrote: My family is paying 5 cents per minute when calling Finland cell phones. The landline is around $20/month. There is an international subscription available for $20/month unlimited.
A Telus landline is $20/month for 24 months, then it's $30 per month. They offer a $20/month add-on for unlimited Europe. But $50 per month is not worth it for everyone.

On a per minute basis, it's 20 cents per minute to Finland cell phones.
5 cents per minute is to landlines (see the screen capture from the Telus Web site).

They have an International Long Distance Saver add-on for $3 a month plus a per-minute rate for Finland of 10 cents per minute. I presume that it includes to cell phones.

A VoIP.ms number is 85 cents/month and the rates for a mobile in Finland vary from 5 cents (Finland-Mobile - ELISA - 358452) to 40 cents per minute (USD). It depends who you call, how often and for how long.

Screenshot (382).png
Last edited by Temporel on Nov 15th, 2020 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May 12, 2020
13 posts
12 upvotes
Brantford, ON
Yes, Finland isn’t cheap but why wouldn’t you use WhatsApp ? Or get a Finnish DID routed back to you so they can make local calls ? I wouldn’t pay anyone $40/mmth for service.
~~~~~~~~~
Yo!Adrian
Mar 12, 2008
110 posts
42 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Temporel wrote: On a per minute basis, it's 20 cents per minute to Finland cell phones.
5 cents per minute is to landlines (see the screen capture from the Telus Web site).
This is a case of YMMV. Most Telus customers don't pay advertised prices. We don't pay for a special add-on, we just asked for a lower rate. Yes, we do get 5 cents CAD/minute to Finland cell phones, while the same calls would costs $0.3938 USD/minute with Voip.ms. If you do plenty of long distance calling, the difference adds up. Just one hour of long distance is a difference of $28.20 CAD.
Mar 12, 2008
110 posts
42 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
yoadrian wrote: Yes, Finland isn’t cheap but why wouldn’t you use WhatsApp ? Or get a Finnish DID routed back to you so they can make local calls ? I wouldn’t pay anyone $40/mmth for service.
Wouldn't that result in some very dodgy call quality?
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
12749 posts
25732 upvotes
Montreal
PeZzy wrote: Wouldn't that result in some very dodgy call quality?
No, Whatsapp has great call quality.
I have had conversations with Brazil that sounded like it was next door and VoIP.ms has servers in Amsterdam, London and Paris.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
6634 posts
1250 upvotes
Toronto
I am looking to port a landline to them. I will also like to setup my google voice # as well. so:

1. Setup account with VOiP.ms
2. Setup subaccount or SIP? I guess for landline its subaccount?
3. Setup ATA (apparently youtube has good tutorial)
4. Setup landline phone to them

I will also like to transfer the phone after 3 rings to cell phone and if not answered (goto original phone's voicemail). Is that possible?

5. Setup voicemail on landline - where is that stored?
6. Its the ATA device that need to support 2 numbers? (google voice and landline).

I will appreciate if someone can send me some links and send details of these. thanks

Edit: and I need to buy ATA device to make this work. Nothing else?
GTA Housing: Supply is the only Metrics that Matters ... until its solved.
Stay in the know - subscribe.
May 12, 2020
13 posts
12 upvotes
Brantford, ON
Don't know if they can port a Google voice number, never tried it.

1. Check
2. Under Finances --> Add Funds You add a credit to your acct that's used against calls and you can add an auto top up if you want.
3. Voip.ms has a Wiki with detailed tutorials, find your ATA and follow the steps....
4. Porting is under DID Numbers --> DID Portability (fill in the form, attach an old bill for verification, wait 5+/- days)

If you transfer the call after X rings to your cell phone then it's going to your cellphone vm, not to your voip.ms DID voicemail.

If you want it to ring on your ATA X times and then transfer to another DID (your cell) that's called "Call Hunting".

5. To setup vm, create a .wav format recording, upload it and associate it with your DID (create and upload can be done while you wait for the porting to complete). Personally, I use this site and let a machine do the work... https://ttsmp3.com/

ATA = There are many, the Cisco ones have always worked for me (https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07NPBLYZW/ref ... VFbS6TGGXY)
BUT...you only need the ATA if you're going to use a phone plugged into it. Why not just transfer all calls to your cell phone and not bother with a house phone ? And if you have multiple people at home, set up an IVR (Press 1 to speak to Bob, Press 2 to speak to Mary, etc) and each option will transfer to the persons cell phone.

Yo!Adrian
(maybe I should start to offer doing this for people.... "VOIP Consultant")
~~~~~~~~~
Yo!Adrian
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
12749 posts
25732 upvotes
Montreal
PrinceMS wrote: (...) I will also like to transfer the phone after 3 rings to cell phone and if not answered (goto original phone's voicemail). Is that possible? (...)
yoadrian wrote: (...) If you want it to ring on your ATA X times and then transfer to another DID (your cell) that's called "Call Hunting". (...)
You could also create and activate a ring group with your VoIP.ms DID and your cell phone (forwarding). Both would ring at the same time. Then you could answer either. You can also adjust the number of rings on your VoIP.ms DID before it goes to voice mail. In other words, select which voice mail (your cell phone's or your DID) will pick-up if there's no answer.
PrinceMS wrote: (...) 5. Setup voicemail on landline - where is that stored? (...)
Your voice mail message is stored on VoIP.ms servers.
PrinceMS wrote: (...) and I need to buy ATA device to make this work. Nothing else? (...)
Nothing else.

The https://ttsmp3.com/ thing that "yoadrian" suggests is pretty neat but that might confuse your grandma when she calls. Lol!
You can also record your outgoing voice mail message (with your own voice) by following the voice mail menu once your voice mail is activated.
Everything in VoIP.ms is pretty intuitive and you will catch-up pretty quickly if you read and make trial and errors.
yoadrian wrote: (...) BUT...you only need the ATA if you're going to use a phone plugged into it. Why not just transfer all calls to your cell phone and not bother with a house phone ? (...)
IMHO, there is no cell phone that approach the sound quality of a good "plugged-in" phone.
That's why I recommend to use an ATA.
Also, with an ATA, you can "inject" your VoIP service into your wired house network, provided you unplug your internal network from the Bell line coming in.
Thus, all your phone plugs in the house can accommodate a "good" plugged-in phone: in the kitchen, in the bedroom, everywhere.
You can also use a wireless phone set with a base and handsets like a Panasonic, etc.

I'm also skeptical about the ATA that "yoadrian" linked.
That looks like a copy of a PAP2T; there's no logo on it!?!
Is that reliable? Did you buy one @yoadrian?
0.jpg
1.jpg
May 12, 2020
13 posts
12 upvotes
Brantford, ON
Oh no! Don’t buy that piece of rubbish, that’s not a genuine Cisco ATA. If you’re set on having a house phone buy the SPA-112. Canada Computes has them in stock.
https://www.canadacomputers.com/product ... _id=045506

The ring group is an option but I’ve tried it and didn’t like it. We found it annoying, I think it works best in a commercial application, not a residential one.

The beauty of VoIP is you have lots of choices and can manage them all from a web portal, that means if you don’t like something it can be changed anytime and with relative ease
~~~~~~~~~
Yo!Adrian
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
6634 posts
1250 upvotes
Toronto
Temporel wrote:

You could also create and activate a ring group with your VoIP.ms DID and your cell phone (forwarding). Both would ring at the same time. Then you could answer either. You can also adjust the number of rings on your VoIP.ms DID before it goes to voice mail. In other words, select which voice mail (your cell phone's or your DID) will pick-up if there's no answer.

Your voice mail message is stored on VoIP.ms servers.

Nothing else.

The https://ttsmp3.com/ thing that "yoadrian" suggests is pretty neat but that might confuse your grandma when she calls. Lol!
You can also record your outgoing voice mail message (with your own voice) by following the voice mail menu once your voice mail is activated.
Everything in VoIP.ms is pretty intuitive and you will catch-up pretty quickly if you read and make trial and errors.

IMHO, there is no cell phone that approach the sound quality of a good "plugged-in" phone.
That's why I recommend to use an ATA.
Also, with an ATA, you can "inject" your VoIP service into your wired house network, provided you unplug your internal network from the Bell line coming in.
Thus, all your phone plugs in the house can accommodate a "good" plugged-in phone: in the kitchen, in the bedroom, everywhere.
You can also use a wireless phone set with a base and handsets like a Panasonic, etc.

I'm also skeptical about the ATA that "yoadrian" linked.
That looks like a copy of a PAP2T; there's no logo on it!?!
Is that reliable? Did you buy one @yoadrian?
0.jpg
1.jpg
yoadrian wrote: Oh no! Don’t buy that piece of rubbish, that’s not a genuine Cisco ATA. If you’re set on having a house phone buy the SPA-112. Canada Computes has them in stock.
https://www.canadacomputers.com/product ... _id=045506

The ring group is an option but I’ve tried it and didn’t like it. We found it annoying, I think it works best in a commercial application, not a residential one.

The beauty of VoIP is you have lots of choices and can manage them all from a web portal, that means if you don’t like something it can be changed anytime and with relative ease
Thank you that was very helpful.
I was looking at obi202 because I can hookup google voice as well (not a big requirement, but might as well since I have it).
Is 3-way a calling needed to be supported by ATA? Some mention it other don't at all.

If I buy a used obi device, does it have to unregistered from original user?
GTA Housing: Supply is the only Metrics that Matters ... until its solved.
Stay in the know - subscribe.
May 12, 2020
13 posts
12 upvotes
Brantford, ON
I was looking at obi202
Yikes ! $237 ! (the 200 is single port and only $87). If it's a standard ATA you reset it to factory defaults then reprogram it with your account credentials. I've never used Google voice, I don't know how the administration works.You'd likely need the 2 port option and then you'd have two house phones connected as you can't bind the two DID's to a single port. You might want to consider forwarding one DID to the other, having the ATA programmed to the other (i'd suggest the voip.ms one) and then you only have to deal with one handset in the home. Or get rid of the house phone ! you have a cell phone ! <grin> Just us a softphone app and be done with it

Yes to 3-way calling and they also have a conference bridge feature so you can host your own conference calls (even if it's just you, grandma and the kids). A feature I've enabled and none of my family have ever wanted to use, they use WhatsApp for that kind of stuff as it has video and you can enable it on the fly. Somewhere....there's a thin line between using the voip DID and an app like WhatsApp but don't ask me where it is...it moves depending on what you need/want.
~~~~~~~~~
Yo!Adrian
Jul 2, 2020
14 posts
6 upvotes
Is voip.ms a good service if I just want to port my Canadian number to them so I can keep it when I move to the US? All I need to be able to do is receive phone calls made to my Canadian number and maybe send some texts from that number as well. I don't plan on using it often.
Penalty Box
Dec 30, 2013
106 posts
40 upvotes
VANCOUVER
catcher8587 wrote: Is voip.ms a good service if I just want to port my Canadian number to them so I can keep it when I move to the US? All I need to be able to do is receive phone calls made to my Canadian number and maybe send some texts from that number as well. I don't plan on using it often.
Thanks to @Temporel I just signed up for an account and got $15 credit with an invite through this thread: @catcher8587

voip-ms-get-5-credit-porting-phone-numb ... s-2423337/
Deal Guru
Aug 17, 2008
10990 posts
13540 upvotes
PeZzy wrote: My family is paying 5 cents per minute when calling Finland cell phones. The landline is around $20/month. There is an international subscription available for $20/month unlimited.
• Skype to Skype = free voice, video and chat, group calls and chats etc
• Skype (Canada) to landlines in London and Australia were clear. I can't recall the cost off hand though.
Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him = Never argue with an idiot, they'll only bring you down to their level & beat you with experience
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
12749 posts
25732 upvotes
Montreal
dealtaker wrote: How did you get a $15 credit? That thread talks about a $10USD credit.
There WAS a promotion now expired $5 for porting a number.
Jun 23, 2019
186 posts
198 upvotes
VoIP.ms is a great service. Get a sim and phone number from Lucky. Use it to ad WhatsApp and Telegram to your phone and then transfer it to VoIP.ms
Feb 12, 2019
5 posts
What will I do if I will change my phone in couple of years and need whatsapp codes again
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2008
1554 posts
182 upvotes
What's a good and cheap ATA to use with Voip.MS that will allow me to set up multiple different phones around the house?