Expired Hot Deals

VoIP.ms

Replace your Bell/Rogers/Telus home phone with VoIP.ms to save hundreds of $$$ each year

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 31st, 2021 7:38 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
8904 posts
15989 upvotes
Montreal

Replace your Bell/Rogers/Telus home phone with VoIP.ms to save hundreds of $$$ each year

Deal Link:
Retailer:
VoIP.ms
MODS please consider leaving this thread in the Hot Deals forum because it literally will save THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS over the years to many RFD members!

It doesn’t matter if the Black Friday promotion is over. It’s ALWAYS a Hot Deal because what counts is if you finally make the move.

It will be the most money you ever save because of RFD!

How much will you pay this year to Bell, Rogers, Telus, Vidéotron, etc. for your land line if you DON'T make the move?
And next year...
And the year after...
Until you die!

Get rid of your $40, $50, $60 (and more) Bell, Rogers or Telus monthly home phone bill.
As long as you have a good Internet connection (5 Mbps is plenty - stability is more important than speed), you can't tell the difference between an old traditional land line and VoIP.ms
If you have been thinking about it for a while, now is the time to make the move.
I've been a VoIP.ms customer for the last 10 years and I couldn't be happier.

It's no-contract, pay as you go. VoIP.ms operates in USD.

Pay Per Minute Plans from $0.85/month | Incoming Calls $0.009/minute | Outgoing Calls $0.005/minute

Unlimited Plans from $4.25/month | Incoming Calls $0/minute | Outgoing Calls $0.005/minute

e911 ($1.50 per month) is optional.

Depending on your usage, the VoIP.ms cost will be between $1 and $7 or $8 PER MONTH!

All you need is an ATA (Analog Telephone Adapter) to plug your current phone into. Check the thread summary for suggestions.

VoIP.ms offer a referral program.
Once you are a subscriber, you get an invite link that you can share with someone to use when they join VoIP.ms
When that person funds their account, you and your friend will get a $10 credit.
That's a $10 USD credit each!
If you don't have someone's promotional code (referral), GET ONE BEFORE OPENING an account.

DO NOT POST OR ASK FOR A REFERRAL CODE IN THIS THREAD.

THAT'S AGAINST RFD RULES.

Check the advantageous long distance rates at voip.ms

VoIP.ms has been around for over a decade and has more features included than you will ever need.
They have 10 servers in Montreal, 10 in Toronto, 3 in Vancouver, over 40 in the US and one in Amsterdam, London, Paris and Sydney.
The Head Office is in Terrebonne, Québec.

My last Bell bills in 2010 were in the mid forties.
Think of inflation and do the math.
My VoIP.ms total bill for the last ten years is under $800 CAD all included.
That's 6 to 7 dollars per month.

So I saved something like 4-5 thousand dollars over 10 years. Face Screaming In Fear

It depends on your usage and what features you are paying Bell, Rogers or Telus at the moment you make the switch.

You don't need to be a "tech nerd".
Just willing to read a little as there are plenty of wikis and documentation on the Web.
Granted, it's not plug and play like Ooma but it's not complicated and cheaper.
Last edited by Temporel on Dec 1st, 2020 12:49 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Thread Summary
Recommened ATA on sale

For 1 phone number:

Grandstream HT801 $65.50 including Shipping/Handling/Taxes (Québec)

For 2 phone numbers:

Grandstream HT802 $66.21 including Shipping/Handling/Taxes (Québec)
241 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2006
1864 posts
1226 upvotes
Oh, thanks! Time to port in some numbers!
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2013
1380 posts
7147 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
Port my number last Tuesday am I eligible ?
Koodo - Zoomer Mobile - Tangerine - Voip.ms
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
8904 posts
15989 upvotes
Montreal
Dealer40 wrote: Port my number last Tuesday am I eligible ?
Unlikely, contact VoIP.ms over chat.
Jan 26, 2017
130 posts
102 upvotes
I feel like getting a wireless home phone plan instead is a better deal. Most carriers offer it for 10$ a month and it uses their cellular network instead of your internet. It also has a battery backup so you can still use it if the power goes out.
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
11534 posts
2467 upvotes
no, same boat here :( At least I smart up and referred myself this time, saw the credit immediately on both accounts after deposit money to my account.
Dealer40 wrote: Port my number last Tuesday am I eligible ?
Last edited by 82 on Nov 27th, 2020 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
People around you may have weaken immune system (or live with one). If you have cold symptoms, please wear a mask.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
8904 posts
15989 upvotes
Montreal
82 wrote: Is there any reason to go with HT802 or HT812? Any hint which voip.ms server to use for better connection? thanks
Grand Stream is a known brand.
It's cheaper than Obihai (Polycom) and just as reliable.
There are wikis online to help you if you need it.
The only advantage of HT802 over HT801 is if you want to use 2 lines.
Use the closest server to you.
Nov 8, 2011
167 posts
34 upvotes
i have old vonage device, will it work ?
Mar 2, 2015
420 posts
994 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Which apps are you all using with voip.Ms for incoming and outgoing calls and sms on an iPhone?
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2003
1280 posts
162 upvotes
Just want to add that I’ve been with voip.ms for 2 years and haven’t had any issues. At first I had a few setup problems and support chat had me up and running in minutes.

I reload my account for about 30$ every six months. Can’t really beat that. Also keep in mind I barely use my home phone.

Anyway long story short highly recommend these guys.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2006
2385 posts
1898 upvotes
Niagara, ON
I don't use VoIP.ms for home service, but I do use them on my cell phone. Pair it with the $15/4GB Fido tablet plan, and for ~$3 a month I get 911 and 0.01/minute calling. Perfect for limited usage like me.

Only downside for using it as a cell number is lack of MMS (in beta) and limited short code access. But, for the cost I put up with it.

Positive is that I have a full phone system that you can program, and getting voicemails in your email.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
8904 posts
15989 upvotes
Montreal
janitej wrote: i have old vonage device, will it work ?
Vonage deices are usually locked to Vonage so probably not.
shawnie53 wrote: Which apps are you all using with voip.Ms for incoming and outgoing calls and sms on an iPhone?
I use Zoiper softphone. (no iPhone)
Nov 26, 2020
3 posts
2 upvotes
Would this work as a phone# to connect to my buildings buzzer? Fongo with call forwarding doesn't work that well for me unfortunately.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22189 posts
3014 upvotes
Hint: if you "live" in select US states, tax can be 0.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22189 posts
3014 upvotes
6060842 wrote: The one thing about voip.ms that I'm less than pleased about is that they bill in $USD even though they're a Canadian company. The rates are ok but if you do use their texting service it's 1 cent USD. This means it's close to 1.4 cents CDN. If your family sends a lot of texts this can add up fairly quickly at $1.40/100 texts. EDIT : The HST is taken off the top so it's not even included in the rates quoted so it's actually close to $1.60 CDN per 100 texts. If you're sending more than 300 texts/mo there may be better options for texting.
It's .0075USD each. Basically a cent CAD each.