Expired Hot Deals

VoIP.ms

Replace your Bell/Rogers/Telus home phone with VoIP.ms to save hundreds of $$$ each year

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 31st, 2021 7:38 pm
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
8726 posts
2144 upvotes
Mont-Royal
there is nothing nw, what is the promo?
"Every marathon you run, your heart scars and you will die faster. If you think running a marathon is fitness, then you know NOTHING ABOUT HEALTH & FITNESS."
- Training 101
Jan 26, 2017
130 posts
102 upvotes
sneak_around wrote: Which ones have a backup battery? I thought you have to get a separate UPS power bar?
The one I have is called the ZTE MF723. Most carriers offer it as the only option and it can do 3h of talk or 12h of standby during a blackout with the included battery.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2009
1141 posts
1159 upvotes
I use freephoneline.ca. Had to pay $50 for SIP settings (one payment for lifetime) and have been using it for 5 years. No other payments.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
8885 posts
15903 upvotes
Montreal
GenChick wrote: I have to look into this Direct Inward System Dialing. You see, English is not my native language. I'm already being shocked by VoIP.ms endless settings which look foreign to me. So, if I read something written in technical jargon, I might get confused and it would discourage me.
What's nice about VoIP.ms numerous features/settings, is that if you don't know about them, you can just ignore them and move on.
It's like a buffet; take only what you want. Your service will work anyway.
You know more than you think; I never used Freephoneline.ca and I don't use Googlevoice.
Jan 10, 2006
638 posts
481 upvotes
RE:Documentation required for porting from FreePhoneLine:
fizikz wrote: I was told taking a screenshot with the phone number along with the account number is sufficient. I'm not sure if FPL has account numbers, but when logged into my account it shows my user name (email address). They said that's fine.
Apparently that wasn't fine. I was asked by the voip.ms porting staff to also send a screenshot of the E911 page which contains customer name, address, etc.
Also, it's good to check on the porting application in the voip.ms portal. My uploaded document didn't open correctly when I downloaded it from the portal, and I confirmed with chat that they couldn't open it either, so I had to resend the file to them via a ticket.
All that was reviewed, provisionally accepted, I got a FOC date for next week. Now things seem on track.

=====

Side note: a nice feature that I didn't see get mentioned: :)
Free Calls Between VoIP.ms Customers : Save even more money with this feature, with VoIP.ms you get free calls from your account to any VoIP.ms Voice DID from US and Canada. So if your friends, family or customers have VoIP.ms DIDs from US/Can, you can be sure that the call will be FREE.
More features here, since its easy to forget the list: https://wiki.voip.ms/article/Features
Jan 10, 2006
638 posts
481 upvotes
Temporel wrote: Anyway, they said it's a security measure: no SMS for 2FA with VoIP
It used to work.
I wouldn't mourn that loss too much:
Microsoft warns against SMS, voice calls for multi-factor authentication

people should avoid relying on SMS messages or voice calls to handle one-time passcodes (OTPs) because phone-based protocols are fundamentally insecure.
https://www.theregister.com/2020/11/11/ ... a_warning/
Nov 19, 2018
35 posts
40 upvotes
Hi, sorry I'm new to this whole thing but I just signed up with voip.ms and I was wondering once I port my landline from Rogers, what would I do on the Rogers end? Do I wait for them to cancel my landline or do I personally cancel my landline once the number is successfully ported? I'd assume either way I'll have to return the phone modem that's currently with my landline.
Nov 19, 2018
35 posts
40 upvotes
Temporel wrote: Wait for the porting to VoIP.ms to be completed.
That should trigger the closing of your Rogers account.
Wait for a final bill from Rogers or check your account to make sure the closing process is happening on rogers part.
You should receive instruction on how to return the modem.
Call them after if needed.
What services do you have exactly with Rogers?
Internet? TV? Phone? mobile?
Oh ok gotcha! I was just gonna add that I have all of the above with Rogers. I'm doing this for my parents since they're a bit sentimental with the landline number. I know that I have a TV & Internet bundle but I'm guessing I should probably confirm with Rogers whether my landline is included in that bundle?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
8885 posts
15903 upvotes
Montreal
cchristopher wrote: Oh ok gotcha! I was just gonna add that I have all of the above with Rogers. I'm doing this for my parents since they're a bit sentimental with the landline number. I know that I have a TV & Internet bundle but I'm guessing I should probably confirm with Rogers whether my landline is included in that bundle?
Whatever you do, don't tell Rogers in advance that you want to cancel your phone service. They could drop your phone number and you would lose it. The porting request has to be initiated by VoIP.ms

Since you have other services with Rogers, canceling your phone service would not trigger a closing of the account, just a modification.

Did you remember to use a referral code when you opened the VoIP.ms account like it says in post #1?

Canceling your phone service could modify the rebates you get with the Rogers bundle. Call Rogers in advance and ask them to recalculate your bill IF you WOULD cancel your phone service. Make sure to tell them at the end of the call to NOT CHANGE ANYTHING, that you will think about it...
Nov 19, 2018
35 posts
40 upvotes
Temporel wrote: Whatever you do, don't tell Rogers in advance that you want to cancel your phone service. They could drop your phone number and you would lose it. The porting request has to be initiated by VoIP.ms

Since you have other services with Rogers, canceling your phone service would not trigger a closing of the account, just a modification.

Did you remember to use a referral code when you opened the VoIP.ms account like it says in post #1?

Canceling your phone service could modify the rebates you get with the Rogers bundle. Call Rogers in advance and ask them to recalculate your bill IF you WOULD cancel your phone service. Make sure to tell them at the end of the call to NOT CHANGE ANYTHING, that you will think about it...
Ahh ok, I will definitely contact them beforehand just to make sure then. Thanks! I've tried to find what happens after you port a number in these forums but I couldn't find anything on it haha.
Ok so it will trigger something and I won't really have to contact them directly after the fact? Well.. ideally anyways.

And also yes I did! I think I have $10 credit now? I'm guessing the monthly charge + any calls we make would be deducted from that credit and not from a credit card?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
8885 posts
15903 upvotes
Montreal
The $10 credit will be added to your account once you put money in your account (the minimum is 15 USD) for a total of $25 USD. It's supposed to be after your first call but it's actually once your account is funded. The monthly fee for the DID (phone number) and any call you make plus optional e911 will be deducted from your account balance, never directly from your credit card. You can set an automatic email to remind you to add funds once you reach a predetermined level.
Last edited by Temporel on Dec 4th, 2020 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 19, 2018
35 posts
40 upvotes
Hey sorry, got one more question for ya if you don't mind. I'm currently just filling out the DID Portability form for my landline number and I'm a bit confused with the "Partial Port" question. If I have multiple numbers with my account (3 mobile numbers + 1 landline) do I choose 'yes' or 'no'? Or does it matter?
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2005
1733 posts
191 upvotes
Magoo wrote: Can anyone comment on whether voip.ms or any voip will work with apartment door systems to unlock the lobby door? I'm looking to switch my aunt From Bell to this and she lives in an older building. The super told me the system doesn't work with cell phones but he didn't say anything about voip.

TIA
yes. worked for me
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2005
1733 posts
191 upvotes
KenAdams wrote: First, I'd like to say I use Fongo and it's FREE! I've used it since day one. And it's still FREE.

In closing.... WOW.... this is my 1000th post. Whooooooo.
do u use often...how many talk minutes per month?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
8885 posts
15903 upvotes
Montreal
cchristopher wrote: Hey sorry, got one more question for ya if you don't mind. I'm currently just filling out the DID Portability form for my landline number and I'm a bit confused with the "Partial Port" question. If I have multiple numbers with my account (3 mobile numbers + 1 landline) do I choose 'yes' or 'no'? Or does it matter?
If you have many numbers with that account but want to port only one then yes, click "Partial port".
You can hover with your mouse over any "?" in VoIP.ms to get more info.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2018
1614 posts
2895 upvotes
TheHutt wrote: do u use often...how many talk minutes per month?
UNLIMITED Canada Wide Calling!! .... and I use it all day for work during the pandemic. All you need is a good wifi connection.

I have a Motorola G7 I purchased last Christmas cause my Google Pixel bricked after their update. Waiting for the iPhone 2020 SE to come out, I got this for $150. Now that I got my iPhone 2020 SE, I just use the MG7 as a WiFi phone. I've been using this service for over 10 years and it's FREE! Before it was Fongo it was Dell Voice. It's worth checking out. https://www.fongo.com/
$52 25GB data w/ Unlimited Canada Wide Talk and Text - Telus EPP Plan - Includes Apple Watch LTE @ NO CHARGE!
BYE BYE ROGERS!
$21.99 1GB data w/ Unlimited Canada Talk/Text Canada - Public Mobile
Fongo. Free CAD Calling.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 17, 2008
7371 posts
7556 upvotes
Signed up late on Fri Nov 27th. 7 business days later, Rogers still hasn't ported over my number, although today is supposed to be the day based on a VOIP.ms email. Will be glad to punt out Rogers.

Update Dec 8

FINALLY up running on voip.ms tonight.

As an FYI, I had a long problem with receiving incoming calls using Zoiper on a Huawei device.

The problem was the "aggressive" battery or power management employed by the Huawei MediaPad T5 tablet. That's how the tablet is able to go for a long time between charges.

Steps used to get to the root of the problem;

(1) https://wiki.voip.ms/article/DID_Troubleshooting >> "System" "Sound Quality Test" aka Echo Test Mode.
This worked, so I was able to proceed to the next step.

(2) "Zoiper disappearing from background on Huawei devices"
https://www.zoiper.com/en/support/home/ ... ei_devices

Click on "android" and follow the instructions.
Jun 14, 2006
674 posts
143 upvotes
Winnipeg
Can the HT802 be placed where land line comes into the house so that all phone jacks work?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
8885 posts
15903 upvotes
Montreal
Kitana wrote: Can the HT802 be placed where land line comes into the house so that all phone jacks work?
Any ATA, like the HT802, can be placed anywhere there's an Ethernet connection and power.
You can then plug a cordless telephone base (like a Panasonic) into the ATA and have the related handsets anywhere in the house.
Or, instead of plugging a phone into your ATA, you can run a regular phone cord from your ATA to any phone jack from the house.
Then you could plug any phone in the house to any phone jack; your entire home phone wiring (network) is now "live".
IMPORTANT: to do that you must disconnect the land line from the phone provider (like Bell) that comes in the house at the demarcation point or cut the wires.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)