Expired Hot Deals

VoIP.ms

Replace your Bell/Rogers/Telus home phone with VoIP.ms to save hundreds of $$$ each year

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 31st, 2021 7:38 pm
Oct 17, 2013
443 posts
253 upvotes
My account fee is $1.70. I believe a couple of posts on this thread say some accounts are 85 cents. Is there a way to get voip.ms to lower my account fee?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
8885 posts
15903 upvotes
Montreal
greygables wrote: My account fee is $1.70. I believe a couple of posts on this thread say some accounts are 85 cents. Is there a way to get voip.ms to lower my account fee?
Open a chat.
May 17, 2007
126 posts
47 upvotes
Montreal
I bought my Grandstream HT801 on Ebay from a seller with a good rating. It was an "open box" unit but appeared brand new.
I was excited to set it up, but when I got to the login screen. the "admin" password didn't work.
I tried to reset the unit several times and in different ways, but I keep getting the message: "Sorry. Your Login Password is not recognized. Please try again."

Does anyone know how to fix this problem?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
8885 posts
15903 upvotes
Montreal
https://nuvio.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/arti ... structions
*If admin does not work try 13579*

You did that to reset?

"Factory Reset the Device
Plug in and power on the ATA device.
Locate the indented RESET button between the power and Ethernet port.
Use a paper clip or toothpick to press and hold the reset button for 10 seconds. Do not release the button until all 4 lights on the top of the ATA flash for 1-2 seconds.
"

Do you hear a click when you initially press the reset?
Do the lights blink?

"Using the IVR Command (Page 71 of the manual)
Reset default factory settings using the IVR prompt:
1. Dial “***” for voice prompt.
2. Enter “99” and wait for “reset” voice prompt.
3. Enter the encoded MAC address (Look below on how to encode MAC address).
4. Wait 15 seconds and device will automatically reboot and restore factory settings
"

As a last resort, try flashing a firmware. Page 68 of the manual.

Edit: post updated.
Last edited by Temporel on Jan 17th, 2021 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
May 17, 2007
126 posts
47 upvotes
Montreal
Thanks for your help. It worked!
I was holding the reset button for 7 seconds as per the voip.ms wiki .
Jul 25, 2011
4 posts
NORTH YORK
Just received my Grandstream HT801 yesterday and about to sign up with VOIP.MS. But first needed to ask some questions regarding the setup with respect to the ATA. Currently have Rogers as my landline provider (cannot wait to terminate as they are not offering me a new deal and $55/month for that service with them is unacceptable).

The Rogers device is set up in my basement where the breaker box is as shown in photo below. There is the phone line going into it (demarcation point) and a coaxial cable line.

My cable modem is in my office upstairs, two floors directly above where the Rogers phone box is in the basement.

The Grandstream ATA has a jack for the phone line and an Ethernet connection but no place to attach a coaxial cable. I prefer to put the Grandstream ATA in the basement where the Rogers phone box is currently or just in the basement. What do I do in this case? Can I just run a phone line from the HT801 ATA to an existing phone jack in the basement (not the demarcation point but a phone jack elsewhere in the basement) and not bother with connecting to the cable modem's Ethernet (as it is upstairs)?

As to cancelling my Rogers phone service, is that done automatically when my number is ported over from VOIP.MS? Or do I need to call them?

Also, I may also be looking at switching internet providers as well a in a few months as I doubt Rogers will be offering any new deal for me there as well. They are tending to be stingy as of late apparently from what I am reading and hearing. I know when you switch providers, there will be a delay in getting the new service up and running because of the time it takes to get someone out to do the installation. If that is the case, how can I maintain a working phone line during that down time between when I cancel with the existing provider and get the service with the new provider up and running? Is there a way to direct the calls to my cell in the meantime?
Last edited by TaoWay9 on Jan 21st, 2021 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May 17, 2007
126 posts
47 upvotes
Montreal
I would get your internet situation sorted out first before you make the switch to VOIP.ms, especially if you're going to be using the home phone quite a bit.

Lag time between providers is something you want to avoid or minimize as much as possible. And you never know if there might be a delay in sending a technician, etc..

In my case, once got off my butt and finally and filled out the request to port to VOIP.ms, the delay was only a week. I was with Videotron, and I knew my home phone service with them was terminated because:
1) I got an e-mail from VOIP.ms letting me know the number had been ported and
2) There wasn't a dial tone on my phone!

Once you've sorted that out, obviously the easiest way to connect your ATA to the HT801 is with the phone cable directly. Since the signal is digital, there's no need to use your wall phone jacks any more!
Your ATA, router, and HT801 should ideally all be within spitting distance of each other!

But If you don't want to do that for some reason, I suggest you look at post #201 in this thread for some guidance and then do more research. It sounds more complicated, and frankly, not worth the hassle!
Last edited by neos on Jan 21st, 2021 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 25, 2011
4 posts
NORTH YORK
Thanks for your reply neos.

Since the HT801 is my ATA, I think you mean it and the cable modem (router) must be within spitting distance of each other. That means I will need to have the ATA in my office upstairs as well as that is where the router is. So the best way to set it up (and make sure all other phones in house are on voip.ms would be to run a phone cord/cable from that ATA to the phone jack in my office? Then that is not a problem.

Now, I do not leave my router on all the time. I always turn it off at the end of the day and power it up again next day when I need to access the internet. Any issue with that in terms of the phone line?

I understand what you mean be getting the internet sorted out first but my deal with that does not expire until June of this year and I do not want to keep paying the amount I am now (since my phone deal expired) until then when I make the switch to a different provider as I suspect Rogers will not giving me a new deal on my internet (unless I keep calling for who knows how long before they give me one). I do not use the home phone that much but my only concern is if I get incoming calls during the down time of a switch from providers when I do make the switch. Now I could initiate the internet provider switch sooner but I prefer to wait until the winter is over with and especially since we are currently in lockdown with the pandemic.

BTW, the internet provider I am looking at switching to in a few months is Carrytel. Anyone in Richmond Hill who is with Carrytel and can give me feedback as to their internet experience with them?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
8885 posts
15903 upvotes
Montreal
TaoWay9 wrote: (...) BTW, the internet provider I am looking at switching to in a few months is Carrytel. Anyone in Richmond Hill who is with Carrytel and can give me feedback as to their internet experience with them?
CANNET = CARRYTEL = CIK Telecom = Throttling.

Wait for oxio.ca (coming soon to Ontario) solid and competitive.
May 17, 2007
126 posts
47 upvotes
Montreal
TaoWay9 wrote:
Since the HT801 is my ATA, I think you mean it and the cable modem (router) must be within spitting distance of each other. That means I will need to have the ATA in my office upstairs as well as that is where the router is. So the best way to set it up (and make sure all other phones in house are on voip.ms would be to run a phone cord/cable from that ATA to the phone jack in my office? Then that is not a problem.
Sorry, yes. The HT801 is your ATA.
I have Panasonic base that I got at Costco plugged into the ATA. This is probably is easiest way since all the handsets will be hooked up on the VOIP line.
TaoWay9 wrote: Now, I do not leave my router on all the time. I always turn it off at the end of the day and power it up again next day when I need to access the internet. Any issue with that in terms of the phone line?
Well ,when you cut power to your router, and your ATA is plugged into said router, the obvious conclusion is that you (or anyone) won't be able to use your VOIP service.
TaoWay9 wrote: I understand what you mean be getting the internet sorted out first but my deal with that does not expire until June of this year and I do not want to keep paying the amount I am now (since my phone deal expired) until then when I make the switch to a different provider as I suspect Rogers will not giving me a new deal on my internet (unless I keep calling for who knows how long before they give me one). I do not use the home phone that much but my only concern is if I get incoming calls during the down time of a switch from providers when I do make the switch. Now I could initiate the internet provider switch sooner but I prefer to wait until the winter is over with and especially since we are currently in lockdown with the pandemic.
Since I don't live in Ontario, I can't help you with choosing a new internet provider, but there seem to be deals from Fido and Telus that get posted here on RFD all the time. I suggest you do a search and see what what comes up.
Jul 25, 2011
4 posts
NORTH YORK
I read most of the thread on Oxio on this forum and it sounds like that is the ISP I should be switching to. I am signing up to pre-order. Thanks for the tip, Temporel. And from what I read, it seems it would be pretty much seamless to switch from Rogers to Oxio with little down time.

Wondering if I should also go with their phone service for $15/month.

The thing with Rogers phone service is that they provide a separate box so that I do not have to have my cable modem on all the time to have the phone service. Seems with VOIP.MS, I need to have the ATA connected to the cable modem via Ethernet and so once the cable modem is off, I will also lose access to the phone service. Wonder if Oxio's phone service will also be the same. Any input would be appreciated, Temporel, neos or someone else.
Feb 24, 2018
73 posts
40 upvotes
Brampton
I am able to port my number to VoIP.ms and enjoying it with Zoiper app on Android. And frankly at home WiFi cannot make a difference between other line and VoIP call.
Jul 25, 2011
4 posts
NORTH YORK
I have found a solution as how to handle calls when I have my router turned off. VOIP.MS has a wonderful voicemail system which you can set to take voicemails from incoming calls under circumstances when the system is unavailable such as a power outage, etc (in my case, when I have turned off the router). The voicemail service is free unless you call in to access from a number not associated with the account.

So I've signed up and am in the process of having my number ported over. BTW, the porting of your number is free with VOIP.MS. Another nice feature and service provided by them.

Looking forward to saving big time on my phone bill. Big thanks to Temporel for starting this thread and letting people know about this company. And thanks to Red Flags Forum!
May 17, 2007
126 posts
47 upvotes
Montreal
Good luck, and welcome aboard!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
6086 posts
813 upvotes
Toronto
TaoWay9 wrote: Thanks for your reply neos.
The internet provider I am looking at switching to in a few months is Carrytel. Anyone in Richmond Hill who is with Carrytel and can give me feedback as to their internet experience with them?
I was with them for 3 years. I was extremely happy. CArrytel doesn't really throttle - they lease lines from Rogers / Bell. The big ones throttle their lines. They support is basically transfer ticket to bell / rogers - which is ok since thats all they can do and thats what I was saving money for.
Phone line is cheapest options ever and was never down by itself (only when internet is down)

Temporel wrote: CANNET = CARRYTEL = CIK Telecom = Throttling.

Wait for oxio.ca (coming soon to Ontario) solid and competitive.
GTA Housing: Supply is the only Metrics that Matters
Active Listings has been the limiting factor for past 10 years.... and will be for next 10
Hence I pull exclusive data from MLS and update GTA HOUSING SUPPLY - Daily!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
8885 posts
15903 upvotes
Montreal
PrinceMS wrote: I was with them for 3 years. I was extremely happy. CArrytel doesn't really throttle - they lease lines from Rogers / Bell. The big ones throttle their lines. They support is basically transfer ticket to bell / rogers - which is ok since thats all they can do and thats what I was saving money for.
Phone line is cheapest options ever and was never down by itself (only when internet is down)
That's not the way it works. The "big ones" do not throttle their lines. Yes, resellers lease access to lines from Rogers / Bell but they also have to buy bandwidth for their customers. To offer cheaper prices, Carrytel does not buy enough bandwidth for all the demand from their customers at night when everyone streams Netflix all at once. The result: stuttering and/or freezing while watching the latest series you are hooked on. If you only check your emails and Facebook that might not be a problem. Otherwise, get a real Internet Service Provider.
Oct 18, 2004
381 posts
242 upvotes
Windsor
temp007 wrote: Yikes I'll stay away from Magicjack.
I know this post is a couple of months old. But I have had little to no issue with Magicjack. I'm on my second 5 year plan ($130 USD) and ($10 USD) for a Canadian number and I pay $4.14 after exchange. I did have the adapter but I bought it 7 years ago and had no issue yet. I had an issue when I moved from Sherbrooke, QC to Windsor, ON four years ago because I wanted to keep my 819 number so I opened a trouble ticket with tech support and said I needed to change the proxy to Detroit. A day or so later service was back to normal. Quality wise I have never enabled QoS, I have used 10mb to 40mb internet plans with Netflix and surfing online all day. In fact, I work out the home office right now and with all the bandwidth I use, I still haven't run into an issue. I'm not saying my anecdotal experience is going to make a difference. There are lots of negative and justified points out on the interwebs. I can't blame them either; MagicJack support is abysmal. However, for the price, call quality and ease of setup - I just plug mine into my router, a home phone and power outlet - I think it's a bargain.

P.S. Another annoyance is I can't get SMS with the MJ app :-( It's only for US numbers. If I could, I would drop my cellphone plan which conversely is how I stumbled onto this thread to begin with.
Feb 22, 2015
55 posts
7 upvotes
Nepean, ON
LaZeRACED wrote: I know this post is a couple of months old. But I have had little to no issue with Magicjack. I'm on my second 5 year plan ($130 USD) and ($10 USD) for a Canadian number and I pay $4.14 after exchange. I did have the adapter but I bought it 7 years ago and had no issue yet. I had an issue when I moved from Sherbrooke, QC to Windsor, ON four years ago because I wanted to keep my 819 number so I opened a trouble ticket with tech support and said I needed to change the proxy to Detroit. A day or so later service was back to normal. Quality wise I have never enabled QoS, I have used 10mb to 40mb internet plans with Netflix and surfing online all day. In fact, I work out the home office right now and with all the bandwidth I use, I still haven't run into an issue. I'm not saying my anecdotal experience is going to make a difference. There are lots of negative and justified points out on the interwebs. I can't blame them either; MagicJack support is abysmal. However, for the price, call quality and ease of setup - I just plug mine into my router, a home phone and power outlet - I think it's a bargain.

P.S. Another annoyance is I can't get SMS with the MJ app :-( It's only for US numbers. If I could, I would drop my cellphone plan which conversely is how I stumbled onto this thread to begin with.
Thank you for sharing your experience.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
8885 posts
15903 upvotes
Montreal
Temporel wrote: I used to get 2FA SMS from TD bank.
But now, I have been told by a CSR from TD that they no longer send 2FA SMS to VoIP telephone numbers.
I'm skeptical but i can't take this further. (...)
Turns out it was B.S. from a TD Customer Service Representative who knew squat!
SMS have been working fine for over a week now (since I tested by chance).
So let's put VoIP.ms SMS from banks for 2FA in the YMMV column then.
Nov 10, 2005
294 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks OP for the detailed info in the first post. VoIP.ms has free porting, which I used to move my number from TekSavvy. The VoIP.ms setup is a bit much at first, but they have a great wiki page. I initially couldn't make outgoing calls. It turns out you have to specify the allowed countries under account restrictions.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)