VOIP.MS

VOIP.MS - add $15 and they will add $15 - targeted

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 10th, 2022 4:09 pm
Dec 26, 2021
12 posts
6 upvotes
Got the same canned message here too.

Disappointed to be turned down. At least give us some sort of partial bonus to offset all the troubles we went through in September.

However, the "token" that they offered was really like salt in a wound. That they expect us to make sales for them for a few bucks while those that bailed on them get the gravy. That after denying us this offer they want us to sell for them, is just a slap in the face, and took me from disappointed to pissed right off.

So I replied that they can offer the 1-1 match or refund the $15 deposit I just made, and I will be porting to anveo,callcentric,etc. when my remaining few dollars balance is used up. Was pondering it lately, but this lack of respect for our loyalty was the last straw. The ball is in their court now... their decision will definitely tell how much I mean to them as a customer.
Sep 11, 2009
67 posts
81 upvotes
GTA
bylo wrote: They did it to themselves by
1. Offering this to one group of customers, those who left, and not the other, those who stayed (and demonstrated their loyalty.)
2. Hoping the latter wouldn't discover the offer they made to the former.
It was poorly thought out. It's obvious to me that they did not anticipate this reaction or empathize with all customers, particularly those loyal. Or perhaps they did and figure it's not a big enough "risk" in terms of churn....

There should have been some kind of "promo" for loyal customers as well in parallel. It could have been a limited time or first X number of respondents or a contest of sorts. They blew it. Huge opportunity squandered!
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
8903 posts
15989 upvotes
Montreal
bylo wrote: They did it to themselves by
1. Offering this to one group of customers, those who left, and not the other, those who stayed (and demonstrated their loyalty.)
2. Hoping the latter wouldn't discover the offer they made to the former.
It's almost always like that. With most company. For example, the new enticing offers are for new customers only.

In this day and age of social media, hoping to hide something? Really?
Sep 10, 2018
432 posts
1643 upvotes
Do I care?
Vancouver down at this moment. Noticed reg fail message on my handset.

It doesn't help they aren't matching the bonus so I will share facts as valued customer.
Sep 10, 2018
432 posts
1643 upvotes
Do I care?
Status page is not a cure all fully automatic reflection of real-time status. Someone has to manually create entry. There are tons of services I use that has status page and downtimes aren't reflected.

Vancouver 1. Downtime is downtime. It is back now. I was able to login to Voip.ms portal during that time. It's not my internet. I've been sitting in front of computer all evening.

Not sure if it continues at what interval. By nature of time sensitive service, it should work most of time. My comparison is Freephoneline which is also a budget service which I'm sure everyone agrees. If Vancouver is given as an option then it should work. I pick closest server for a good reason; less delay. I shouldn't have to start troubleshooting at random interval when supposedly there is "no issue" going on.
May 29, 2012
340 posts
133 upvotes
Is voip.ms still the cheapest way to park rarely used or inactive phone numbers?
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
25126 posts
21563 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
ihearyou wrote: Is voip.ms still the cheapest way to park rarely used or inactive phone numbers?
It depends on how long you want to park.

voip.ms is US$0.85+HST ~CA$1.25 per month
Fongo is CA$25 one time

The cross-over is about 20 months.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2009
1146 posts
101 upvotes
ihearyou wrote: Is voip.ms still the cheapest way to park rarely used or inactive phone numbers?
Might want to check anveodirect, im not 100% sure but their DID pricing is 0.28$ a month, if I read that correctly.
Sep 13, 2014
161 posts
191 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
I got the same robotic message. Zero chance I will refer anyone to them anymore.

Looking to port out now too.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
25126 posts
21563 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
ihearyou wrote: thanks, does Fongo release the ported phone number if there is no activity for 90 days?
https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/arti ... ion-Policy
From the page you linked:
Accounts will not be deleted due to inactivity if they have one of the following:
1. Available World Credits
2. An active SMS subscription (Canada or Canada+US)
3. A number Ported to Fongo from another carrier
4. In the case of FreePhoneLine accounts, you have purchased a VoIP Unlock Key.
veni, vidi, Visa
Sep 11, 2009
67 posts
81 upvotes
GTA
skfinder wrote: Got the same canned message here too.

Disappointed to be turned down. At least give us some sort of partial bonus to offset all the troubles we went through in September.

However, the "token" that they offered was really like salt in a wound. That they expect us to make sales for them for a few bucks while those that bailed on them get the gravy. That after denying us this offer they want us to sell for them, is just a slap in the face, and took me from disappointed to pissed right off.

So I replied that they can offer the 1-1 match or refund the $15 deposit I just made, and I will be porting to anveo,callcentric,etc. when my remaining few dollars balance is used up. Was pondering it lately, but this lack of respect for our loyalty was the last straw. The ball is in their court now... their decision will definitely tell how much I mean to them as a customer.
I just learned that a relative who never left received the email from Anna (a customer service rep btw) and they are asking me if this is a legit email. LOL

I agree wholeheartedly with your approach and this may be my last $15 deposit as well. I just removed some options and now looking at port out destinations.
Dec 26, 2021
12 posts
6 upvotes
They still haven't made their choice whether to match or refund my deposit. I know that they are probably thin staffed during the holiday week, and the people who respond arent the ones who come up with these policies, so I will give it until the middle of this week until I press them on the issue.
Sep 13, 2014
161 posts
191 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
I think they have decided to lose the in their mind small group that are complaining about this.

Their shortsightedness is that they do not realize the small group that they think is complaining is really part of a group that has influence and refers customers.

It is obvious the management is rather amateurish and instead of appeasing customers they would rather lose them. They have obviously not factored in cost of acquisition.

I would bet anyone who posts a voip.ms deal on here from now on is going to get downvoted.
Dec 26, 2021
12 posts
6 upvotes
So they decided to refund my deposit.

I will shop around during my approx 2-3 months of funds remaining with them.

They may have called my bluff correctly, as it is a pain to port and change providers, and other than this stunt, I haven't had any problems with their service since the fall.

However, I have referred others to them in the past, but probably won't going forward.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
8903 posts
15989 upvotes
Montreal
skfinder wrote: So they decided to refund my deposit.

I will shop around during my approx 2-3 months of funds remaining with them. (...)
Check out FreePhoneLine.ca
Dec 26, 2021
12 posts
6 upvotes
Temporel wrote: Check out FreePhoneLine.ca
Thanks for the suggestion!

I remember wanting to go with them years ago, but couldn't get a number in my area with them.

I couldn't find coverage on their site now, but I'm assuming it is the same as Fongo, in which case I still can't get or port a number from them in my local calling area :(

Edit: Found the list on their support pages: https://support.freephoneline.ca/hc/en- ... e-numbers- Still not my city
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
8903 posts
15989 upvotes
Montreal
skfinder wrote: Thanks for the suggestion!

I remember wanting to go with them years ago, but couldn't get a number in my area with them.

I couldn't find coverage on their site now, but I'm assuming it is the same as Fongo, in which case I still can't get or port a number from them in my local calling area :(

Edit: Found the list on their support pages: https://support.freephoneline.ca/hc/en- ... e-numbers- Still not my city
Actually, the link points to a post on another RFD thread about Free Phone Line where someone mentions having up to 30 minutes delays before they get their voice mails. "Bylo" reports "until the next day"!!!

One of the down side of shopping around trying to ditch VoIP.ms

Also, as you probably already know, FPL has zero support; it's community based only.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
25126 posts
21563 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Temporel wrote: "Bylo" reports "until the next day"!!!
To be fair that was once, just recently. That's hardly the norm. One could spin that experience in favour of Fongo and FreePhoneLine by comparing it to voip.ms' service disruptions last fall where there was no VM message to delay because one couldn't even make the call in the first place.

The point is that all VoIP service providers are vulnerable to reliability issues like this. So are cell carriers. If reliability is paramount then get a POTS line and/or have several VoIP/cell choices available.
veni, vidi, Visa
Dec 26, 2021
12 posts
6 upvotes
Temporel wrote: Actually, the link points to a post on another RFD thread about Free Phone Line where someone mentions having up to 30 minutes delays before they get their voice mails. "Bylo" reports "until the next day"!!!

One of the down side of shopping around trying to ditch VoIP.ms

Also, as you probably already know, FPL has zero support; it's community based only.
LOL I didn't get that part... i seen RFD in the link and thought it was one of those affiliate type links so decided not to click it.

I know all VoIP providers have issues and I don't expect them to be perfect, especially at the deep discount to POTS they provide.

It was the jist of that canned email that basically expected us loyalists to continue generating referrals to them that really got my goat, much more so even than being denied the match.

If I don't see a better value/service proposition I will probably stay with VoIP.ms. If it wasn't for that canned reply, I would have remained loyal and wouldn't even be shopping a port out right now.