• Apr 2nd, 2021 9:36 am
Tags:
[OP]
Jan 11, 2017
47 posts
4 upvotes
Ottawa

VoIP.ms with what data provider?

I'm planning to ditch my expensive Fido call/text/data plan with VoIP.ms and a data provider.

I think I'll be using Fizz as I can get just data for $17/m (for 1GB) or $20/m (2GB) on LTE.
Are there cheaper options I should be aware of or is this one of the better options?

I've never used VoIP before so I'm new to this.
9 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2018
1897 posts
2330 upvotes
Fido's "Data only plan for tablet" remains the cheapest data for Canada for $15~ 4GB plus perks. Sometime it get even cheaper due to promotions. If you are in the range of that amount of data, there really isn't another choice that is cheaper. They are at best similar and only on rare promotion. Which Fido also gives. Sometime entirely erase your fee.

You technically need a voice line to get that plan, but if you just sign up at a store they never really care.
Banned
Dec 17, 2019
228 posts
237 upvotes
Montreal
Another vote for Fido’s data plan!
It’s great.
I'm a customer at Public Mobile and VoIP.ms!
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2014
1110 posts
512 upvotes
Corunna, ON
Only problem is you need to have a cell plan with Fido to order the data sim. Apparently you can cancel the phone plan shortly after.
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2014
1110 posts
512 upvotes
Corunna, ON
There is also T-Mobile tablet plans that work in both US and CAD.

2 GIG for $10 US and 6 gig for $25 US. No data overages.
Jan 17, 2013
772 posts
368 upvotes
proplayer44 wrote: Only problem is you need to have a cell plan with Fido to order the data sim. Apparently you can cancel the phone plan shortly after.
How does the Data sim works? Does the Data sim needs a phone number of its own?

If you have a cell phone plan which comes with a phone number and order the Data only plan, do you get a second number? So you have two phones number now? When you cancel the cell phone plan, you are left with only one phone number for the Data sim?
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2014
1110 posts
512 upvotes
Corunna, ON
So the data sim has its own number but it's irrelevant. You never use it and you also never use the native phone app. You need to use other phone apps.

I ported my 18 year old number to VoIP.ms. You can then install an app to make/receive calls using your cell number and the app. Then another app to text ( at least on Android). The iPhone VoIP.ms app for texting is horrible.

Instead of doing all the above I created a US based Gmail account (using a VPN) and then created a Google Voice number and attached it to the Google Voice app on the phone. All calls and texts are free and the quality is great on Google Voice (GV)

Then over on my VoIP.ms account I forward all calls to my CAD over to my GV and answer using the Google Voice app.

Only SMS texting works well with VoIP.ms and I want to send MMS enough that I decided to just starting using my GV # as my main# for texting. But it is a US number so if friends can't text US based numbers they"lol be charged.
Nov 5, 2007
55 posts
3 upvotes
May I ask how you managed to get standalone cellular data?
Upon seeing the shadow of a pigeon, one must resist the urge to look up. - Confucius
Mar 7, 2008
721 posts
192 upvotes
Leask
I second the google voice approach. Exceptional quality and the text with GV works great. But is a US number.

For my Canadian number, I ported my Canadian cell to Fongo and never look back. I am planning to sign up for Fongo Wireless 2GB for $19.95 which includes free text (send and receive) using the Fongo Mobile app.
Aug 6, 2012
336 posts
177 upvotes
TORONTO
karbon-12 wrote: May I ask how you managed to get standalone cellular data?
It's possible with Fido but then you either have to wait for particular promotions or do some backflips that make it difficult.

For just a little more you can use Zoomer: https://www.zoomerwireless.ca/tablets

Zoomer uses the same Rogers network underneath.