VoIP + smartwatch -- what works best?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 17th, 2019 12:05 am
[OP]
Dec 4, 2017
425 posts
159 upvotes

VoIP + smartwatch -- what works best?

I'm thinking that it could finally be time to move on from my awesome Pebble smartwatch. Since converting over to VoIP on the voip.ms service last year, I've missed having the full functionality, and now I have to sideload the app just to get what remained to work on my newer phone.

Most important functions are:

1. Incoming call notification

2. Incoming text notification and preview

3. Missed call notification

I have tried three VoIP SIP client apps (native Android dialler, Acrobits Groundwire, Zoiper Premium) and none of them do the most important function, notifying of incoming calls. Oddly, Groundwire DOES do #3, notifying of missed calls.

Anyway, does anyone who uses VoIP via SIP and a smartwatch on an Android phone have an advice for which smartwatch and possibly app tweaks can make these things integrate better?
Last edited by IanBrantford on Jun 17th, 2019 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
3 replies
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
14974 posts
4554 upvotes
Here 'n There
IanBrantford wrote: I'm thinking that it could finally be time to move on from my awesome Pebble smartwatch. Since converting over to VoIP last year, I've missed having the full functionality, and now I have to sideload the app just to get what remained to work on my newer phone.

Most important functions are:

1. Incoming call notification

2. Incoming text notification and preview

3. Missed call notification

I have tried three VoIP client apps (native Android dialler, Acrobits Groundwire, Zoiper Premium) and none of them do the most important function, notifying of incoming calls. Oddly, Groundwire DOES do #3, notifying of missed calls.

Anyway, does anyone who uses VoIP and a smartwatch on an Android phone have an advice for which smartwatch and possibly app tweaks can make these things integrate better?
My iWatch notifies me of incoming Groundwire calls.
Einstein: Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Economists have predicted 18 of last 4 recessions

S&P500 (not inflation adj'd, divs reinvested) by Years/%: 5/12.28, 10/13.52, 15/9.23, 20/6.24, 30/10.10, 40/11.70, 50/10.58
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
3609 posts
1851 upvotes
Gotham City
I use an Amazafit Bip and a Galaxy S9 with Google Voice. I get all of the above notifications.

The battery is normally rated for 45 days. I've had the battery last 60 days.

It uses the Mi Fit app. I also have a Xioami scale/body fat monitor that is connected to the app. It also communicates with Google Fit.
[OP]
Dec 4, 2017
425 posts
159 upvotes
batcave wrote: I use an Amazafit Bip and a Galaxy S9 with Google Voice. I get all of the above notifications.
The Bip is indeed the best equivalent to the Pebble so far. But, oops, I didn't specify that I'm using voip.ms via SIP. I updated my original post to reflect this. I'm aware of the GV solution, but I'm looking for compatibility with a standard SIP app, preferably Groundwire.