[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
9181 posts
3223 upvotes
Toronto

Volvo's gift to the World

Volvo’s Gift To The World, Modern Seat Belts Have Saved Millions Of Lives

Volvo proudly proclaim that: “few people have saved as many lives as Nils Bohlin.” And they are right. Nils Bohlin is the little-known Volvo engineer who invented the V-type three-point safety belt in 1959, and saw his innovation through to universal adoption across the motor industry. His new cross-strap design made seat belts much easier to use, and much safer too. It is hard now to imagine cars without them.

2019 is the 60th anniversary of Bohlin’s breakthrough idea, and one worth celebrating. The Swedish company carved out a space in the competitive car industry by making driver and passenger safety a core part of its brand at a time when this was an afterthought for many car makers.
8 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15508 posts
10156 upvotes
Toronto
AlicW93740 wrote: Welcome to ... 2020?
But in 1959 it was innovative, enough that all manufactures did the same. I guess in 50 years which ever manufactures embraces safety full self flying and all others follow suit, it would be similar.

:)
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
9598 posts
8164 upvotes
Kitchener
No 2020 innovations for Volvo, so they're celebrating 1959???
Are they also celebrating not being involved in the 2020 CIAS or being a wholly owned Chinese automaker now?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
9181 posts
3223 upvotes
Toronto
Rob_EV wrote: No 2020 innovations for Volvo, so they're celebrating 1959???
Are they also celebrating not being involved in the 2020 CIAS or being a wholly owned Chinese automaker now?
This wasn't just a Volvo celebration - it IS a celebration for all car drivers everywhere. Imagine if Volvo had decided to keep their invention to themselves?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
9181 posts
3223 upvotes
Toronto
Rob_EV wrote: ...
I've been attending the CIAS for many years and have to admit that Volvo participation, if there at all, has been lukewarm at the very best. And I'm talking about the years when it was Chinese (Geeley), US (Ford) and Swedish (Volvo) owned.

Maybe they should have a permanent display of their safety innovations/philosophy and just trot that out year after year Face With Tears Of Joy
Sep 25, 2018
949 posts
1891 upvotes
koffey wrote: But in 1959 it was innovative, enough that all manufactures did the same. I guess in 50 years which ever manufactures embraces safety full self flying and all others follow suit, it would be similar.

:)
I know that. What I meant was the article linked was from mid-2019.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
9181 posts
3223 upvotes
Toronto
AlicW93740 wrote: I know that. What I meant was the article linked was from mid-2019.
That's true. I just hadn't seen it mentioned elsewhere so thought it was interesting enough to post.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
9628 posts
9134 upvotes
Jimbobs wrote: This wasn't just a Volvo celebration - it IS a celebration for all car drivers everywhere. Imagine if Volvo had decided to keep their invention to themselves?
The world won't be as overpopulated? :D

I kid, I kid.