• Last Updated:
  • May 17th, 2019 1:39 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jan 7, 2019
155 posts
95 upvotes

Vomiting in the morning

I have a two year old corgi and occasionally in the mornings around 7am....He starts to crazily lick his lips and then follows up with what seems like he's forcing himself to vomit. He does this twice and both times, there is white foamy liquid that comes out.

Anyone of a similar experience and know if this is something serious?

Thank you,
8 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
4313 posts
869 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Hair ball, upset stomach. Nothing crazy to worry about if it's once in a while.

I have a jack russell and chihuahua, and they do this randomly.

Just keep an eye out, no crazy treats, he should be fine.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
9916 posts
6244 upvotes
Edmonton
Our dogs lick their lips a bunch before they throw up. That's one of signs that gets us up and running the dog to the door. :)

One of our dogs has a tendency to over-drink first thing in the morning. So we watch for that, and get him to step away from the bowl for a few minutes before resuming. Seems to work ok.

You should talk to the vet if it continues to happen. Take a picture of the vomitus. Probably not a big deal, but they may have some suggestions, depending on what they think might be causing it. And it might save some of your carpet/rugs/furniture.

C
[OP]
Jan 7, 2019
155 posts
95 upvotes
Thank you for your input! Glad to know it isn't anything serious.

The annual check up is coming up, i'll take a few pictures and talk to the vet about this.
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2011
1165 posts
746 upvotes
British Columbia
The simple answer is usually to feed him a small meal before bed. Or I should say, save some of dinner and give it later. No need to feed extra.

Or get up earlier and give breakfast.
Jul 25, 2008
874 posts
285 upvotes
Toronto
Karala wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2019 3:13 pm
The simple answer is usually to feed him a small meal before bed. Or I should say, save some of dinner and give it later. No need to feed extra.

Or get up earlier and give breakfast.
This

My beagle was eating 2 meals a day at 3/4 cup per day, so his last meal was around 6-7pm and wouldn’t eat until 8-9am. He would occasionally throw up white to yellowish foam. Our vet suggested feeding a meal around 10-11 so now its 1/2 cup of kibble at about every 8hrs. He rarely throws up now.
Jun 14, 2017
696 posts
558 upvotes
Your dog has acid reflux which causes him to vomit white/yellowish foamy substance due to the long interval during feeding. As others have mentioned, reduce portion and feed him a small serving before bed time so that his stomach isn't building up too much acid or bile.

Cherios!
Sep 17, 2002
884 posts
214 upvotes
my 4lb dog used to vomit almost every morning which was annoying for me and painful to watch.

We tried various things but what we found helped was after her last walk, it was followed with a small treat (1/2-1/3 size) broken into small portions and left on the bowl. Her last meal was between 10-11pm. I usually leave the bowl with food and let her eat what she wants. With a full stomach she was happy and rarely ever vomited in the morning.

During the day we added sea kelp to her food to stimulate her to eat which worked as well.

My other dog eats anytime of the day and rarely vomits so go figure. He's an emotion eater and eats when he gets excited.

Because of this we did notice she does poo twice a day especially if see's eaten in the evening and morning. If she hasn't eaten in the morning then it's once a day.

Each dog is unique and you really need to pay attention to his habits and especially the treats/food you given them. Stay away from filler and look at the ingredients.

The yellow/white foam that come out is called bile and many doctors will say it's okay and normal. Try feeding them later in the day so their stomach is partially or fully full.

If it still continues after eating later then see a Dr.

Good luck.
Sep 17, 2017
15 posts
3 upvotes
It could be the start of some GI bloat. Get it checked out sooner then later. Read up on how to reduce risk of bloat in dogs. No elevated bowls, smaller meals, avoid or reduce kibble, no exercise before or after meal. 30 min at least.