420 posts
307 upvotes

Voxelab Aquila 3D Printer (Ender 3 v2 "Clone") - ~$224CAD no tax

Deal Link:
Price:
USD179
Savings:
USD20
Voxelab is the daughter company for Flashforge. Their Aquila printer is extremely similar to the ender 3 v2 (design, PCB, screen, drivers, etc). In a lot of ways, it's better. It is extremely well regarded in every online review I've seen.

It currently goes for CAD$259 on amazon.ca but because the canadian dollar is so strong, you can buy it directly from Voxelab's official site and pay $179USD. That translated to $223.95CAD. I just ordered it on Friday and it arrived in an Amazon box today (Sunday).

Here is an example of a typical review:

Enjoy!

*********** Update:
Flashforge is trying to incorporate Voxelab into their website. On this website, they are currently selling the Aquila for USD179 but have a 11% off coupon. That brings the price down to USD$159 with free shipping.

https://www.flashforge3dp.com/products/ ... 3d-printer
coupon code: VOXELABREDDIT (valid for the next 3 days, I think)

~CAD200 for a 3d printer seems like an insane deal.
Last edited by asd913 on Aug 3rd, 2021 12:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
226 replies
Dec 15, 2020
1 posts
21 upvotes
I've been looking to get into 3d printing, maybe I will start here. I will research for a day or two and put off my decision for another month again I'm sure.
May 18, 2007
280 posts
495 upvotes
Not many reviews on Amazon. Some said it's poor quality and broke after 4 weeks...
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
7150 posts
1479 upvotes
Toronto
Flash forge is a decent company, they have decent printers. If Volexlabs is related to FF then I would put their brand name above creality. With the said, these ender 3 style machines have too much cut out of them. I think a Prusa mini, clone or real, is a good minimum standard for new people getting into 3d printing.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2005
2391 posts
1282 upvotes
Markham
wonginator wrote: Not many reviews on Amazon. Some said it's poor quality and broke after 4 weeks...
i read many of the amazon reviews that are like 1-2 stars.. to be honest.. most of them are user error.. they all work the same way.. the frames are nearly identical.. i bought 5 printers from 5 different brands.. watch all the youtube building videos and read the instructions carefully before building the printers. all the printers are doing well.

sometimes i honestly cant figure out how people can screw up as those 1-2 star examples..
A
[OP]
Jan 31, 2004
420 posts
307 upvotes
3d printer kits like this are NOT for casual users. They are for true tinkerers. If you don't aren't willing to learn the ins and outs of 3d printing, you will have a bad time. The fact is that 3d printers have a lot of moving variables. Any of which can lead to it working better as a paperweight than a production machine. You should only consider buying a kit 3d printer only if you want or have already deep dived into 3d printing. CLOSE YOUR WALLET if your goal is to make a few trinkets off thingiverse.

I have opened my Aquila kit and begun to build it. I can attest that the quality of the kit I received is equal to that of my ender 3 v2. I'm blown away as I can't believe it's $175 less in price than the ender.
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2012
1511 posts
830 upvotes
Guelph
I got the ender 3 for $206 last week. Haven't opened it because someone mentioned auto bed leveling is a must have. I've since found that, and correct me if I'm wrong, none of the ender 3 models have it out of the box?

Basically, is it worth the hassle returning this to get the Aquila? It's kind of been beaten into me that ender is the best starting point, so going with a different brand worries me. The op posted review looks very promising though.

Decisions, decisions. I guess I'm just looking for a confident holy grail of budget starter printers so I can finally get my feet wet.
[OP]
Jan 31, 2004
420 posts
307 upvotes
No consumer-grade ender has auto bed levelling. Neither does the Aquila. Auto bed levelling is a nice-to-have and a great upgrade hobbyists do when they get to understand the impact of proper bed levelling.

The real reason I would not want the ender 3 is that it does not come with silent stepper drivers (which come standard in the Ender 3 v2 and the Aquila). That means every movement of the motor is pretty loud. Also, the Ender 3 v2 and the Aquila come with 32-bit boards vs the Ender 3's 8-bit boards. That is important (but not essential) when you start looking to do ABL.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
2180 posts
1184 upvotes
London
LawEightSix wrote: Haven't opened it because someone mentioned auto bed leveling is a must have.
That's funny.
I've been using mine for almost 3 years without it.
It falls under potentially nice to have, but not "must have".
For about $50, you can add it.

Look at the posts on either side of yours (by OP).
I agree with the general sentiment.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
20269 posts
5730 upvotes
GTA
I still think a Prusa of any sort is the best budget starter. Best case, it works well right away, and you can decide if you want to go higher end. Worst case, doesn't work well, but there is a huge community backing, parts avalability and decent resell value if 3d printing isn't your thing.

I have had a i3 mk3 and i3 mk3s, for two different large projects, ended up selling for not much less then purchase price with lots of interest.

The buyer for the i3 mk3s said he's had his ender 3 on sale for months with just lowballers while looking for a used Prusa, which tends to get sold very quickly. Not only did the Ender have its share of printing woes, the lack of support and print quality tuning never worked.

However you could buy 3 of these printers for the price of one Prusa, and the print quality is probably 95% the same. I know there are ender 3 v2s out there that can print just as well as a Prusa i3 mk3 or Prusa mini. Just the journey to fine tuning it to get to there can be quite difficult.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2005
2391 posts
1282 upvotes
Markham
asd913 wrote: No consumer-grade ender has auto bed levelling. Neither does the Aquila. Auto bed levelling is a nice-to-have and a great upgrade hobbyists do when they get to understand the impact of proper bed levelling.

The real reason I would not want the ender 3 is that it does not come with silent stepper drivers (which come standard in the Ender 3 v2 and the Aquila). That means every movement of the motor is pretty loud. Also, the Ender 3 v2 and the Aquila come with 32-bit boards vs the Ender 3's 8-bit boards. That is important (but not essential) when you start looking to do ABL.
Same, if I had to take one, I take silent drivers over auto bed leveling any day.
A
Jan 24, 2013
17 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
LawEightSix wrote: I got the ender 3 for $206 last week. Haven't opened it because someone mentioned auto bed leveling is a must have...
If you're getting into 3d printing, you can do without auto bed leveling. Learning how to level a bed manually is straightforward and something you should learn.

@$206 dollars that is the perfect machine for a first timer. You can upgrade the shit out of it, or sell it and replace it with a $500 machine in a few months if you really get into it.
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2012
1511 posts
830 upvotes
Guelph
paulwhtd wrote: If you're getting into 3d printing, you can do without auto bed leveling. Learning how to level a bed manually is straightforward and something you should learn.

@$206 dollars that is the perfect machine for a first timer. You can upgrade the shit out of it, or sell it and replace it with a $500 machine in a few months if you really get into it.
Perfect thanks!

Do you or does anyone know if the upgradable parts are interchangeable between these two different printers? Or are they Ender branded ABL parts and Aquila ABL parts etc?
Deal Addict
May 14, 2005
2391 posts
1282 upvotes
Markham
LawEightSix wrote: Perfect thanks!

Do you or does anyone know if the upgradable parts are interchangeable between these two different printers? Or are they Ender branded ABL parts and Aquila ABL parts etc?
there are different types of ABL

most popular is the BLTouch, i bought the original brand name one from Creality for almost $60.. died in two months.. I dont mind paying the extra to support the original creator but BLtouch support ignored even my first email asking for help.. so after that I just buy the knock off "3d touch" for like $20 each.. the 3d touch i am using now i've used for 9 months no issue.

you just have to print different mount for the BL/3d touch for different printer.. they all work the same..

this is a very good video teaching you how to calibrate your Z offset (assuming you know how to connect your printer to your computer via Pronterface)

Then, there is this one for Tronxy printers, i've never this type of sensor myself
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08S3X33CL/

There is also EZABL
https://www.th3dstudio.com/product/ezab ... eling-kit/

just try the 3d touch for now if you really want one.. $20 bucks.. or so (remember to buy the longer cable if you need that)
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32949450525.html
Trianglelabs stuff are well reviewed, many people vouch for them if you need spare parts. They are slightly more expensive than other 3d printer parts store on Aliexpress but I dont mind paying few bucks extra if parts are higher quality
Last edited by andyyuen on May 17th, 2021 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A
Sep 4, 2015
49 posts
56 upvotes
Madden, AB
K, I'm tempted to get this guy. If anyone wants to comment on how a 3D printer changed their lives it will push me over the edge. Also, is there anything else I should buy along with it? What filament to start out with? Does it smell? Are their forums or blogs I should be subbed to to get the most out of my printer?
[OP]
Jan 31, 2004
420 posts
307 upvotes
PLA filament is the best to start. PLA doesn't smell and is safe to be around. In terms of forums, I follow a few on reddit (3dprinting, functional print, and VoxelabAquila). There are also tons of youtube videos.

But don't buy this unless you've at the very least understood the build process. It's takes a couple of hours for beginners and can be frustrating at times. The Aquila build is essentially the same as an ender 3 V2 so watch this step by step.

Mar 17, 2006
235 posts
305 upvotes
mudpickle wrote: K, I'm tempted to get this guy. If anyone wants to comment on how a 3D printer changed their lives it will push me over the edge. Also, is there anything else I should buy along with it? What filament to start out with? Does it smell? Are their forums or blogs I should be subbed to to get the most out of my printer?
If you enjoy getting your hands dirty like building and troubleshooting computers, fixing bikes, and/or designing prototypes of stuff in software, and having that stuff come to life, then there's a good chance that
you'll enjoy this hobby like I do. If you prefer things to just work, and don't enjoy fixing/tinkering with stuff, then this will be a frustrating experience for you. Also, if you loved 'shop class' in high school like I did, you'll probably enjoy this hobby.

I have an Ender 3v2 and have printed over 100 hours on it, and it is still printing solidly. Was even able to get TPU to print okay(not easy to do, but I think nailed it after a few tries) for phone cases which my mom has been using for 6 months with no deterioration much to my surprise. Printed PLA, PETG, TPU plastics with no smell. Never printed ABS, but I assume it will leave a toxic smell, but I've read PETG kinda makes ABS obsolete for 'consumer' applications. I mainly use it to print inserts for my board games to make them easier to setup, teardown, store, also replacement plastic parts for my bikes like Bottle Cages, bike reflector mounts, tire valve caps, and pretty much anything plastic on my bikes or other equipment that have plastic parts that can break.

Ended up ordering this printer (Thanks OP!), so that I can print 2 things at the same time to save time on prints (a lot of prints have to be done piece by piece which can take days!), so this allows me to multi-thread with 2 cores : )

I would say at $217 total CAD, this is a pretty solid deal with the caveat that you're going to have to get your hands dirty to setup the printer, and maintain it regularly(much like a bicycle) to get it working optimally. I have no regrets. I think my first printer paid for itself for all the plastic stuff I didn't need to by from the Dollar Store/IKEA/Canadian tire, so I'm pretty much self-sufficient in terms of small/medium plastic items.
Jul 26, 2014
74 posts
21 upvotes
Brampton, ON
At op did you incur any duties or taxes, or was it simply 180us.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2005
2391 posts
1282 upvotes
Markham
adangca wrote: I mainly use it to print inserts for my board games to make them easier to setup, teardown, store
Love it.

Also printed magnetic Catan holders
Images
  • 8D8ACC92-F8B8-4037-8E1A-BA2BDF66320E.jpeg
  • FE0457A1-5104-4CAC-888E-55E6CB2DE022.jpeg
A
[OP]
Jan 31, 2004
420 posts
307 upvotes
adangca wrote: Also, if you loved 'shop class' in high school like I did, you'll probably enjoy this hobby.
This.

This hobby gets good when you can 3d print your own designs. Trinkets from Thingiverse are fun for a while but Fusion 360 or another free CAD software is a game changer.

PavenD wrote: At op did you incur any duties or taxes, or was it simply 180us.
None. It was shipped by amazon in Canada.