Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

Voxelab Aquila 3D Printer (Ender 3 v2 "Clone") - ~$224CAD no tax

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 29th, 2022 3:34 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2008
1571 posts
1832 upvotes
GTA
Total noob question but I feel like there are some really knowledgeable people that could answer this: How much does it cost to get started printing little objects here and there like GoPro mounts and adapters? I want to start basic but not so basic that the machine will break within a few dozen prints.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
6513 posts
2187 upvotes
YEG
This voxelab printer and a $25 roll of PLA+ will allow you to print 50-60 mounts and adapters. PLA+ is a slightly modified version of PLA but is tougher and a easier to print. Mech Solutions PLA+ has been good to me.

You're doing something wrong if the printer breaks after a dozen prints. It's more likely you'll do something silly and break or scratch up the glass bed.
⬆⬆⬇⬇⬅➡⬅➡BA
Apr 30, 2007
179 posts
52 upvotes
Ok, after debating on this for almost a week I decided to bite. Needed a new hobbie and even if this doesn't turn out the way I hope, for this price I can sell it later and still won't feel bad.

Thanks Op and all the informative posts.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2005
2632 posts
1627 upvotes
Markham
Slono wrote: Total noob question but I feel like there are some really knowledgeable people that could answer this: How much does it cost to get started printing little objects here and there like GoPro mounts and adapters? I want to start basic but not so basic that the machine will break within a few dozen prints.
those mounts are easy to print, i've printed many for friends and family

you can buy this printer, or an ender 3... 1 roll of PLA is around $15
just need the base printer and a roll of material.
dont need to upgrade anything right off the bat
Mar 5, 2012
408 posts
470 upvotes
Montréal
asd913 wrote: I ordered a second Aquila on Aug 3rd (when I posted the coupon code here). It finally shipped tonight. Took a lot longer than I was expecting but not a big deal as I am waiting for upgraded parts anyway.
I ordered an Aquila +1kg PLA on the 15th, got the PLA by Amazon dropshipping on the 17th. I wrote to flashforge on the same day asking about my UPS tracking number not being updated for the 3D printer, no answer to this day.

My Aquila was also shipped today. I imagine they must have received a batch in Canada and are fulfilling backorders.
Aug 28, 2003
734 posts
121 upvotes
andyyuen wrote:
1 roll of PLA is around $15
I just recently picked up an Ender 3 and started printing, just curious as to where you typically order filament from? Any recommendations on a brand to go with?
Deal Addict
May 14, 2005
2632 posts
1627 upvotes
Markham
Twitch1977 wrote: I just recently picked up an Ender 3 and started printing, just curious as to where you typically order filament from? Any recommendations on a brand to go with?
There are a few good Canadian online shops

https://sparta3d.ca/
https://filaments.ca/
https://3dprintingcanada.com/

However, recently I order more and more from US
Gst3d
https://gst3d.com/
$8 usd per roll if you buy 20 for the current deal.
Sometimes they will have $80usd for 10 rolls
I use a crossborder shipper Shippsy and have it shipped to Markham warehouse

Including shipping, New York tax, crossborder tax, us to cdn conversion
Comes out to $13-15 cdn per roll when it is cheapest
Price really can't be beat

Most brands for PLA prints fine. If you get stringing a lot, you just need to find a dehydrator from value village or something and dry the filament roll out

Geeetech often have coupon code in their Facebook groups, after coupon, comes out to $17-18 per roll and they include a big ziplock bag for their rolls
Mar 5, 2012
408 posts
470 upvotes
Montréal
I assembled mine yesterday, it was not very hard, I still managed to install the gantry 180 degrees around. After some disassembly, and too much bed leveling ( I had to tweak the Z axis stop switch up and down a bit), I successfully printed the test model in 3 hours?. Now printing a wheel. It pretty much just works for now, pleasantly surprised. The extruder fan is very high pitch, will have to replace that.

All in all, pleased with the purchase so far, time will tell.
Apr 30, 2007
179 posts
52 upvotes
Got my printer on the weekend and after assembly and levelling, the machine works pretty well. I think I have a bit of retraction issues that needs to be tweaked (seems to be dragging a bit of extra filament) but otherwise pretty good.

In regards to upgrade parts, how do you guys know which ones to buy from amazon? The reviews on these are so extreme. I'm thinking just the springs, and Capricorn Tubing are probably needed. The extruder assembly I'm printing the one from 3DPrintingSOS but not sure if I should go with an metal one.

Thoughts on this:
https://www.amazon.ca/Creality-Capricor ... 31&sr=8-17

Thanks
Aug 3, 2004
151 posts
88 upvotes
My usual amazon searching tends to be which one is the cheapest, is prime/available for shipping, that doesn't sound totally sketchy... LOL

price wise it's a bit more than what I paid for my similar kit (original link in the first few posts, but no longer available $13.99) but it doesn't say creality nor have cert of authenticity so presumably not 'official.' Parts wise though package seems sufficient though. I've also considered printing the 3dprintSOS assembly, but haven't made it up the printing time list yet due to a lot of outdoor vacation in August. I do think the upgraded springs helped maintain level longer between prints and I haven't clogged since upgrading to the capricorn. So if you're happy with the price, I'd say go for it, as in the grand scheme it's not big $$. note you will likley need to adjust your z-stop switch height after when putting on the new springs.

Good luck with the new hobby! :)
Jan 13, 2009
412 posts
314 upvotes
Great value printer given its shortcoming. Here is a review for current and new buyer from a expert on how safe it is and overall opinion.
Mar 5, 2012
408 posts
470 upvotes
Montréal
Sypher006 wrote: Great value printer given its shortcoming. Here is a review for current and new buyer from a expert on how safe it is and overall opinion.
Yup, it's a clone of an Ender3 v2 for cheap, and you need to flash a custom firmware and plan for some replacement parts from the get-go. I would have returned it if I had received one of the newer boards with a chip without custom firmware honestly. But a working printer with a kilo of PLA for $230 taxes in ? Pretty happy so far.

Then again, if you find another decent clone for cheaper, go for it. The aquila does not have anything over the other clones, just the price.
Dec 11, 2009
997 posts
570 upvotes
Toronto, ON
The video above has been discussed in the thread previously. The main 2 takeaways are to change some power connectors that are tinted to either ferrules or bare wire and to update the firmware to a version that has thermal runaway protection. I feel this video review is a bit harsh when put in the context of the price of the printer, that's the "innovation", the criticisms would be stronger if it was being sold for the same price as the ender 3 v2.
Mar 5, 2012
408 posts
470 upvotes
Montréal
Big warning:

after using the provided USB micro SD reader 8/9 times without issues, I plugged it yesterday in my computer and it would not pop up in windows explorer after a few seconds. I went to unplug it not even 30 seconds later and I burnt my finger as the USB SD card reader was obviously shorted inside and the plastic housing was already melting. Needless to say I was not particularly impressed.
Jun 20, 2018
87 posts
55 upvotes
What an interesting hobby. This thing has been running since i built it on Friday night. Printed some kids toys, a red and black rose for my daughter, several google home mini plug mounts.... about to print a backup extruder clip incase mine breaks.

I may have also gotten over excited and bought 2kg of black, 1kg of white and red each. Bought the upgraded extruder on Alibaba, just waiting for it to arrive. I'm also looking at some sort of auto bed leveling.

I beleive I have the G32 chip so will probably upgrade the software but have no need so far. Can't stress enough how important it is to have the leveling done accurately. The print quality is significantly different and stringing doesn't occur.

Anyways, great find. May have also gotten a Pi 4... So another addition im considering running.
Aug 13, 2006
972 posts
164 upvotes
Vancouver
I'm sad... The screen went blank in the middle of the test print. It continued printing and the test print actually like great, but it's bricked after 1 print.

Waiting for service response.
Don't worry about how much you SPEND , it's how much you SAVE that matters.
[OP]
Jan 31, 2004
444 posts
380 upvotes
Fx45 wrote: I'm sad... The screen went blank in the middle of the test print. It continued printing and the test print actually like great, but it's bricked after 1 print.

Waiting for service response.
Check the cable that connects to the screen. It can come loose.
Aug 20, 2003
143 posts
93 upvotes
Finish Line
There's an additional $10 off today for $169 USD.
Nov 9, 2014
778 posts
790 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
paulwhtd wrote: If you're getting into 3d printing, you can do without auto bed leveling. Learning how to level a bed manually is straightforward and something you should learn.

@$206 dollars that is the perfect machine for a first timer. You can upgrade the shit out of it, or sell it and replace it with a $500 machine in a few months if you really get into it.
I have an Ender 3 v2, and to be honest the only crappy frustrating part is the leveling. You'll end up getting new springs to make it a little better, but you'll still go through a bunch of failed prints because of the bed level. I use my printer in a bursty way - I'll do some printing and then layoff for a while. The thing I always moderately dread is the level process.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2005
2632 posts
1627 upvotes
Markham
mushisushi wrote: Got my printer on the weekend and after assembly and levelling, the machine works pretty well. I think I have a bit of retraction issues that needs to be tweaked (seems to be dragging a bit of extra filament) but otherwise pretty good.

In regards to upgrade parts, how do you guys know which ones to buy from amazon? The reviews on these are so extreme. I'm thinking just the springs, and Capricorn Tubing are probably needed. The extruder assembly I'm printing the one from 3DPrintingSOS but not sure if I should go with an metal one.

Thoughts on this:
https://www.amazon.ca/Creality-Capricor ... 31&sr=8-17

Thanks
http://retractioncalibration.com/
Give this a try, to figure out the optimum retraction setting