Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

Voxelab Aquila 3D Printer (Ender 3 v2 "Clone") - ~$224CAD no tax

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 29th, 2022 3:34 pm
Jul 10, 2006
441 posts
113 upvotes
Toronto
anybody else got charged 4% PayPal foreign exchange fee?
[OP]
Jan 31, 2004
444 posts
380 upvotes
pocket1 wrote: anybody else got charged 4% PayPal foreign exchange fee?
Doesn't PayPal will always charge that for USD transactions. Credit card companies charge 3.5% (I think). At the paypal screen, I chose the option (slightly hidden) to pay with my credit card in the original currency of the transaction.
Dec 5, 2010
39 posts
21 upvotes
Courtenay
Where would that be listed in your Paypal invoice ? I don't think I've ever seen it on any of my purchases I've made thru Paypal over the years and I've bought from both North American and Chinese online vendors.

I just logged into Paypal and there is no mention of any foreign exchange on my Activity page for the printer order. Just the following:

Purchase details
Voxelab Aquila DIY FDM 3D Printer[Package Type:Standard Package ] $179.00 USD

Exchange rate
$226.29 CAD = $179.00 USD
1 CAD = 0.791 USD

Paid with
PayPal Balance $3.00
Classic Visa $223.29
VISA Credit Card xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
You'll see "PAYPAL *FLASHFORGE" on your card statement.

There is also nothing on the email invoice I was sent other than what I posted above.

Wonder if it has something to do with what Credit Card or Bank Account you link to you Paypal Account.
Jan 12, 2018
171 posts
92 upvotes
Paypal always does, and gouging exchange rate, that's the only points I hate about Paypal. Regular Mastercard/visa charges 2.5%. Many credit card issuer subsidies a few percent. My roger card for example, giving you 3% cashback on a purchase charged in USD. Making it effectively 0.5% cashback. I got billed around 210 I think. Can't remember the exact number.
Mar 30, 2007
514 posts
102 upvotes
I just ordered, chose paypal payment (not cc/debit), chose my cc from my paypal account, 'choose currency options', usd.

179 usd = 217.26 CAD according to what my CC was just charged. I have the Rogers WE MC so i don't pay forex on USD.

Thanks OP!
Mar 17, 2006
237 posts
316 upvotes
More in stock today from OP's link (no freight charge).
Capture.PNG
[OP]
Jan 31, 2004
444 posts
380 upvotes
Finished putting my Aquila together. Some tips:

1. I used this build video. He talks through how to align and tighten the machine well; this helps to get more consistent prints. The video is for the Ender 3 v2 so it's 95% applicable. I still had to read the manual that comes with the Aquila for some parts that were slightly different.
  2. You will need wire clippers as the Aquila doesn't come with any. You don't need anything fancy as you'll be using them to cut filament ends. I'm not sure they sell them at the dollar store but I would check there first.
  3. Unlike the ender 3 v2, the Aquila doesn't come with an extruder knob. Instead, they threw an stl of a knob in the sdcard. The problem is that all-plastic extruder knobs strip very easily. Get an m3 screw and print one like this one that I redesigned. It uses an m3x6mm set screw.
  4. The Z-axis rod has no lubrication and squeaks. So I applied a thick/tacky grease I had laying around.

Things I would do after the first month of printing:
  1. I have seen a lot of people say that plastic extruder assembly breaks in both the ender 3v2 and the Aquila after use. I upgraded mine before I started but you can wait a while.
  2. You should change the stock bed springs to better ones. This is so you don't have to relevel the bed every time you print.
  3. I also changed out my pneumatic fittings from the same kit I linked below.
This kit has the extruder assembly, springs, and pneumatic couplers. For $14, that's ridiculously cheap. https://www.amazon.ca/Finderomend-Creal ... ef=sr_1_36

My recommendation for most people. Put it together stock and then do the above upgrades sooner than later.

Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2004
1490 posts
1301 upvotes
Vancouver
paulwhtd wrote: A 3d printer is a hobby unto itself, but it's strength is that it compliments existing hobbies, imho.
agreed! the goal isn't just to print well, but to print something well, that has value in the output.
Dec 5, 2010
39 posts
21 upvotes
Courtenay
Check out 3DPrintSOS on YouTube. This fella has about a dozen videos on the Voxelab Aquila as well as any upgrade files on his Thingiverse page. Be sure to check out his 3D printed extruder update video and file.

Also to add what the OP has been mentioning. You can never have too many spare parts on hand for your printer. Extra nozzles, a spare hotend, extra PTFE tubing and connectors, a couple thermistors and heater cartridges, and maybe a fan or 2. This way when something happens (and it will eventually) your not having to wait for the parts to arrive. The nice thing is that these parts are all fairly cheap on Amazon and if ordered out of China cheaper still.
May 14, 2006
66 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks OP. This thing will pay for itself in 4 prints for me.

Assembly was straight forward. Only missing the 2 blue tube clamps. Voxelab said these weren't necessary in the comments of the assembly video on YT.

Did anyone get the 2 blue tube clamps?

Bed leveling wasn't that difficult. I'm currently printing the test hook from the sdcard. Seems to be working fine. Going to keep everything stock for the first bunch of prints and look into upgrades later.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2015
1512 posts
1270 upvotes
Durham Region
ae86gts wrote: Thanks OP. This thing will pay for itself in 4 prints for me.

Assembly was straight forward. Only missing the 2 blue tube clamps. Voxelab said these weren't necessary in the comments of the assembly video on YT.

Bed leveling wasn't that difficult. I'm currently printing the test hook from the sdcard. Seems to be working fine. Going to keep everything stock for the first bunch of prints and look into upgrades later.
How does it pay for itself in 4 prints?
May 14, 2006
66 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
networksend wrote: How does it pay for itself in 4 prints?
I plan on printing large project cases, retro video game parts, and some replacement parts that are unavailable. Good example is the riser for a Sega 32x and Model 2 Genesis. These are hard to impossible to find.
[OP]
Jan 31, 2004
444 posts
380 upvotes
If you mean the pneumatic fitting, I use the thin black zip ties in place of the blue c clamps. Holds well and can be cut off with clippers.
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2004
2842 posts
483 upvotes
Any recommendations for software?
[OP]
Jan 31, 2004
444 posts
380 upvotes
Prusaslicer using ender 3 profiles is what I use. Cura is good too. I think it comes with a skinned version of Cura on the SD card.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
3914 posts
1378 upvotes
I didn't read the thread so maybe it was said already.

But those looking to get more features on the new screens, Jyers has been going great work for the Ender 3 V2 and his code is slowly getting added to the Marlin code.

I believe there is a fork of jyerd firmware for this printer so look to getting it installed instead.
Sep 6, 2014
156 posts
51 upvotes
Lethbridge, AB
Does anyone know if this is a certified power supply or is it going to have overheating issues like some Ender 3 clones?
Feb 4, 2010
171 posts
91 upvotes
Edmonton
asd913 wrote: My recommendation for most people. Put it together stock and then do the above upgrades sooner than later.
I notice you have the filament mounted up top....

I'd like to second arisk's suggestion to add filament guides ( or move the filament spool down in line better with the extruder assembly). I put the spool sitting apart on a wood base.

My experience:
As the spool runs down the angle the extruder feed pulls gets sharper and sharper and the extruder has resistance pulling it in.

It initially affected internal fills as they are printed at a higher rate. It gradually got bad enough that the the infills turned into a fuzzy mess.

I'm just glad I tried moving the filament first. If I hadn't just printed the same part earlier I'm not sure I would've figured it out. I'd hate to think I might've slowed down my printer instead,
Last edited by TravelJ on May 20th, 2021 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 24, 2013
21 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
ae86gts wrote: Thanks OP. This thing will pay for itself in 4 prints for me.

You can print them
Sep 6, 2014
156 posts
51 upvotes
Lethbridge, AB
It appears they are dropshipping their Amazon.ca store stock to fulfill these orders. I got a Flashforge email today (day after ordering) and it redirected and Amazon shipping notification to an alternative source for viewing the shipping info. Not sure if that helps anyone on the fence about how long this will take to reach you home, it is nice to know the supply is coming from within Canada.