VPN 3 years 3 months - $79 USD + earn 50% cash back Rakuten US

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 26th, 2022 12:22 am
Deal Fanatic
Jan 12, 2005
5052 posts
1695 upvotes
Mississauga
Any issue cashing US cheques or Canadian banks will process US cheques?
Oct 1, 2005
624 posts
481 upvotes
Kitchener
cerealkiller wrote: FYI , I had been using PIA for over 7 years now, I mainly use it for torrent. I had received maybe 1-2 of those copyright email due to myself forgot to turn on the VPN app in all these years. However, in 2020 I had received 2. Both of which I’m 100% sure I had VPN turned on . My conclusion is that PIA is leaking info. I had in fact not been using torrent and waiting for 1 year passing to do so again. I can’t say which VPN is safe to use but I would stay away from PIA if torrenting is ur main use.
You likely did not have VPN turned on, either that or the connection temporarily failed in which case it just uses your normal connection. You need to set it up so everything stops if VPN goes down. I think their PC app has a kill switch but not sure how reliable it is.

I have been torrenting on PIA for 10 years, no letters from ISP. All the downloading happens on my Synology with this Docker container (there’s many others that work similarly). It lets me have it so only torrent goes through VPN and if VPN goes down, nothing can leak. If I had to worry about it manually no doubt I would’ve slipped by now.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
5541 posts
3541 upvotes
SW ON
cerealkiller wrote: FYI , I had been using PIA for over 7 years now, I mainly use it for torrent. I had received maybe 1-2 of those copyright email due to myself forgot to turn on the VPN app in all these years. However, in 2020 I had received 2. Both of which I’m 100% sure I had VPN turned on . My conclusion is that PIA is leaking info. I had in fact not been using torrent and waiting for 1 year passing to do so again. I can’t say which VPN is safe to use but I would stay away from PIA if torrenting is ur main use.
VPNs can't "leak info" because they use shared IPs, i.e., many many users have the same outside public IP. You interface is assigned a private IP (usually starts with 10.) which is unique to you while the connection is active. It's like a big router. A VPN company, if they want, can match those if they know the ports and keep records but it's a labor intensive task and nobody will do it unless they have a very good incentive (and logs).

You system leaked info. Always check with https://ipleak.net/ (it's not working at the moment but usually works).
May 18, 2009
458 posts
395 upvotes
Richmond
I had an issue last night, every time after checkout I was redirected to a 404 page, thought the order didn't go through.... ended up ordering it 3 times! Hoping to get two of them refunded :(. Otherwise, great deal!
Dec 2, 2004
40 posts
40 upvotes
GTA
zuzxi wrote: I’m trying this. Signed up for the US Rakuten. Bought the PIA Black Friday special. Waiting on them to merge that with my existing PIA account. Hope I get the Rakuten bonus

I’ll have almost 5 years of VPN left. Using for torrenting. Never had an issue.
Merged account no problem. Thx OP!
May 28, 2012
395 posts
355 upvotes
Canada
Got my accounts merged right away within minutes this morning with PIA support. Also just got an email from Rakuten showing $49.50USD balance in my account ($39.50 from deal and $10 for new account). Super easy process.

Thanks OP.
Jan 27, 2007
825 posts
254 upvotes
Calgary
Thanks OP. Signed up into my existing pia account and it extended by 3 yrs.

Also used rakuten.com and will see if it shows up in there, so far nothing but maybe it takes some time for the transaction to be reported to rakuten...

Thanks again
Sep 25, 2007
92 posts
34 upvotes
The Rakuten cashback posted on my account within 2 hrs. Bonus $10 for new account as well.
Nov 24, 2014
133 posts
126 upvotes
GateGuardian wrote: Any issue cashing US cheques or Canadian banks will process US cheques?
I setup to be compensated with PayPal just in case since I've never used the US site.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2011
1279 posts
680 upvotes
GTA
Ordered and they added to my existing subscription and I still haven’t received an email from PIA yet. Lol.

Registered a new account with Rakuten.com using my .ca email and it showed up as me having an account with them for a few years so I didn’t get the extra $10 off but the $39.50 showed up with a couple of hours of my order.

Thanks Op!
Dec 3, 2007
788 posts
623 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
zevnux wrote: I had an issue last night, every time after checkout I was redirected to a 404 page, thought the order didn't go through.... ended up ordering it 3 times! Hoping to get two of them refunded :(. Otherwise, great deal!
Same happened to me. Ordered 2x because of the OOPS 404 error page.
Sent support for refund request too.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2008
2309 posts
268 upvotes
Toronto
bendak wrote: You likely did not have VPN turned on, either that or the connection temporarily failed in which case it just uses your normal connection. You need to set it up so everything stops if VPN goes down. I think their PC app has a kill switch but not sure how reliable it is.

I have been torrenting on PIA for 10 years, no letters from ISP. All the downloading happens on my Synology with this Docker container (there’s many others that work similarly). It lets me have it so only torrent goes through VPN and if VPN goes down, nothing can leak. If I had to worry about it manually no doubt I would’ve slipped by now.
Im new to this stuff and checked the link regarding Synology with Docker not sure how to do this with this VPN Can you please explain for less experienced folk like myself ?
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
4051 posts
908 upvotes
SomeOtherDude wrote: are you agreeing or disagreeing that PIA leaks info ?

A few years back when there were a flood of VPN deals, there was a lot of heated discussion and many people here trashed PIA
Google the name of your program and bind vpn connection.

This will ensure the program you are using only uses THAT network device and not any others.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2020
3710 posts
2640 upvotes
savingsomemoney wrote: With PIA and Windscribe both on sale, which one do we buy?
one is owned by same folks who made the malware fake flash ads then bought out expressvpn and pia and ghost vpn. Windscribe is founded by someone in GTA and has a good reputation, but very mediocre VPN speeds.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2020
3710 posts
2640 upvotes
It leaked on your end. But you'll be a fool to believe any kill switch works on thousands of different software/hardware combos, and that's excluding windows versions.

Go here and do this if you never want to see it happen again. It is as 100% as I can find:
http://go.redirectingat.com/?id=2927x59 ... 3Bid%3D238
Sep 18, 2010
144 posts
119 upvotes
Canada
Yeah make sure you turn on VPN, then start up your torrent program, then pause/stop torrents when they're done, then close your torrent program, then disconnect from VPN. Or bind VPN. IP should not leak, that is definitely a user error.

Also go here: https://vpnpro.com/torrenting/private-i ... -torrents/ you want to set-up a SOCKS5 with your torrent program so you don't have to have VPN opening limiting your regular connection when you download. You can also set-up a less used browser with this, say Firefox, and watch US Netflix/Hulu without VPN detection I think?

Seems like a good deal, was able to extend.
Last edited by krimsonknite on Nov 27th, 2021 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jul 16, 2020
8 posts
3 upvotes
glib wrote: Same happened to me. Ordered 2x because of the OOPS 404 error page.
Sent support for refund request too.
Same. Nothing heard on refund request yet.

Edit: one of two transaction refunded after a couple days via support.
Last edited by slightlyschooner on Dec 11th, 2021 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.