138 posts
132 upvotes
Montreal
Does this work in China? Anyone tried?
Feb 1, 2011
27 posts
92 upvotes
Courtenay, BC
searched up the thread to also comment that I also got my cashback to my paypal today, but showed up as 61.03, so I guess the exchange rate went down but I'm glad I found out I can transfer it into my bank. Nothing worse than credits when you want cash money!
Dec 20, 2020
2 posts
1 upvote
I had PIA about 8 years ago for 1 year,never had any issues,did also a lot of torrenting- no notices and the speeds were great.
Ordered this VPN deal 3 days ago,signed up with US Rakuten getting $39.50 cashback+$10 new user bonus,elected to be paid by check cuz right now can't use my PayPal and today got an e-mail from Rakuten telling me that check is on its way.That was fast. Curious how cashing US check will work with my bank(BMO),never done it before.
Dec 20, 2020
2 posts
1 upvote
pentexplorer wrote: How does the Rakuten discount work? I setup an account but not sure how to get the credits half off through there. Never used Rakuten before but curious to use on this special case scernario.
Never used Rakuten before either but I went to US Rakuten website first,set up an account with them then staying on the website used the search box to find PIA clicked on that,it took me to PIA site and I ordered this deal.After coming back to Rakuten I checked my account details/ balance and it was there-$39.50 cashback and $10 bonus and I had option of money being sent to PayPal or by " big fat check"
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2011
1722 posts
557 upvotes
Vancouver
winsly wrote: Never used Rakuten before either but I went to US Rakuten website first,set up an account with them then staying on the website used the search box to find PIA clicked on that,it took me to PIA site and I ordered this deal.After coming back to Rakuten I checked my account details/ balance and it was there-$39.50 cashback and $10 bonus and I had option of money being sent to PayPal or by " big fat check"
is the deal still on with Rakuten?
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2011
1722 posts
557 upvotes
Vancouver
this is weird but I just got privateinternetaccess webpage blocked by my ISP ?? wtf? Say's connection not private, can't even use it on incognito tab.
Oct 8, 2006
601 posts
393 upvotes
Okanagan Valley
pentexplorer wrote: is the deal still on with Rakuten?
Yes it is...just joined Rakuten.com this afternoon - then accessed the PIA site through Rakuten...now, couple of hours later...have $49.50 in my Rakuten account (39.50 -50% savings and $10 for new Rakuten acct) which will be transferred to my paypal account. Also, merged my existing PIA account with my new one via PIA support - they responded in minutes when ticket created...done and done in 10 minutes...thanks OP ...great find Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Oct 5, 2014
880 posts
1157 upvotes
AB
Created new account using a referral. Received $39.50 for the cash back and $40 for the referral bonus sign up. That’s $79.50 in cash back. Can’t complain when it’s free. Great deal.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
8194 posts
4109 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
winsly wrote: I had PIA about 8 years ago for 1 year,never had any issues,did also a lot of torrenting- no notices and the speeds were great.
Ordered this VPN deal 3 days ago,signed up with US Rakuten getting $39.50 cashback+$10 new user bonus,elected to be paid by check cuz right now can't use my PayPal and today got an e-mail from Rakuten telling me that check is on its way.That was fast. Curious how cashing US check will work with my bank(BMO),never done it before.
Did you do the port forwarding for your torrent?
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
How to setup PAP in Tangerine
Nov 24, 2017
52 posts
71 upvotes
Lower Mainland, BC
Dred wrote: Im new to this stuff and checked the link regarding Synology with Docker not sure how to do this with this VPN Can you please explain for less experienced folk like myself ?
This is the method I've used for qbittorrent. Basically, you restrict qbittorrent to only use the VPN network interface, so if the VPN isn't connected, no torrent traffic will pass through the interface and the torrent will stop.

https://www.ghacks.net/2016/03/23/qbittorrent-block-transfers-vpn-disconnect/
Mar 6, 2018
3 posts
2 upvotes
As I mentioned in the last half of my statement I am not here to say use this one or that one, I would hope each user could do that themselves after researching and reading. Restore privacy has done some in depth testing and has results on their site. Techlore ( https://techlore.tech/vpn.html) also has done some in depth testing and gives recommendations on their site as well. Well worth the time to read through some of the testing done. I had previously had PIA (no longer after acquisition by Kape) and am now using & testing Nord, Surfshark, and Proton and need to say that they all have pros and cons. Best is to read up and take the plunge. Some deals are still to be had and if not usually show up again around Christmas time/ New Years. The best recommendation I could give you is to only purchase anything you try for one 1 month before taking a 1, 2 or 3 year plunge $$ even if it's a good deal. A good deal is only a good deal if it works for you. Happy hunting :)
Nov 24, 2017
52 posts
71 upvotes
Lower Mainland, BC
FYI, if you're an existing customer and you want this deal, you can get it but it will create a new account. You can merge this new account with your existing account, but the old account will auto-renew with your current plan. If you use the new account, it will auto-renew with the discounted plan. From PIA support:
hanks for being a valued Private Internet Access Subscriber. I understand that you want to renew your old account but a new account was created. We would be happy to assist you.

We would recommend that you retain the new account and keep the discounted price as your auto-renewal price, and we can merge the remaining time from your previous account to the new account.

This will require that you log out of any existing VPN configurations and log back in with the credentials for your new account.

We can still merge the new purchase into the old account. However, it will only delay the renewal by the time purchased and future renewals would occur at the subscription rate of the old account.

If you want to proceed with merging your old account into your new account or vice versa, we will also need to verify your old account, please provide me the 7-8 Digit Order number.

Note: It is NOT the same as the seven digits following the letter "p" from your PIA username.

For your convenience, I have resent your old account's invoice that contains your order number to the email address attached to your account.

Please let us know how you would like to proceed.

You are correct, if you will keep the new account, it will renew USD 79 for 3 years.
[OP]
May 21, 2019
187 posts
146 upvotes
Alenux55 wrote: FYI, if you're an existing customer and you want this deal, you can get it but it will create a new account. You can merge this new account with your existing account, but the old account will auto-renew with your current plan. If you use the new account, it will auto-renew with the discounted plan. From PIA support:
Without the 50% cash back $79 renewal isn't a hot deal.

Also got my cash back ($49.50 USD) when everybody else did instead of Feb. '22.
Dec 28, 2010
109 posts
76 upvotes
Ottawa
This is still available. Found this thread and signed up with PIA yesterday .... got the Rakuten cashback on my account although the next payout won't be until May.
Thanks OP!
Jan 25, 2017
327 posts
7 upvotes
can we install the PIA app directly on to a tv and use it to run torrent apps like kodi