• Dec 26th, 2019 9:27 pm
[OP]
Nov 24, 2002
181 posts
5 upvotes
Calgary

VPN advice for newbie

Hello Folks,

I would like to try out over the holidays and possibly commit to a VPN service. Never use one before and I would like to protect my Kodi usage, watch US netflix, watch shows on US based channels (fox, abc, nbc, cbs etc) amongst other uses you might suggest. Which service is best value (price vs servers, speed etc). Generally, I tend to buy quality for a bit more if it makes sense.

Any advise you have is appreciated.
11 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
3545 posts
881 upvotes
Try windscribe free, then buy premium from hot deals?

They are Canadian, which is a good and bad thing depending on how you look at it.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2019
1386 posts
618 upvotes
You're going to be busy for a while trying out the different VPN providers. Have a look here , here and here.

Windscribe is very slow with Netflix. Max currently is around 5 Mbps.
Jan 10, 2008
219 posts
229 upvotes
quebec
Im with Surfshark for 2 years. Speed is good.
Jan 13, 2017
88 posts
12 upvotes
Go to Rakuten (ebates.ca) and search for VPN. They have some good deals there (discounts plus cash rebates).
Mar 4, 2010
645 posts
16 upvotes
Mississauga
Using surfshark . They are pretty good
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35227 posts
21211 upvotes
Center of Universe
Windsrcibe
May 29, 2004
442 posts
97 upvotes
dafunky1 wrote: Hello Folks,

I would like to try out over the holidays and possibly commit to a VPN service. Never use one before and I would like to protect my Kodi usage, watch US netflix, watch shows on US based channels (fox, abc, nbc, cbs etc) amongst other uses you might suggest. Which service is best value (price vs servers, speed etc). Generally, I tend to buy quality for a bit more if it makes sense.

Any advise you have is appreciated.
Features that you need to consider:
- number of server per region they offer.
- number of device allow. It is usually up to 5 for most of the provider. For example, if you have 5 computers, then each computer can have their own vpn connection connecting to different server and region.
- to watch US netflix, it is likely you need to dedicate ip address since share ip address attend to quickly block by netflix.
- support of OpenVPN (most of them support them)
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
3601 posts
701 upvotes
Kingston
For what you want to use it for, it doesn't really matter who you go with as you aren't doing anything that requires security or privacy. Just watching US Netflix and US based shows won't get you in any trouble. Now if you were using it for torrenting or something questionable, then who you go with matters.
Apr 29, 2018
943 posts
559 upvotes
Vancouver
For US shows & streaming content, I would really recommend GetFlix.com (or any other SmartDNS partner companies)

These guys were the one of the first ones to launch a DNS proxy and from what I have tested are the fastest ones. Their DNS server are also really fast and allow you to switch the Netflix & several other regions from the Website. They had a lifetime deal with Free VPN thrown in a few months ago too.

Registered in the Seychelles, so I am pretty sure the logs will be safe
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2947 upvotes
if you're going to try windscribe, ask them for a trial on the premium servers, because the servers they use for free windscribe isn't the some ones as the premium. Only way to tell if Netflix is going to be fast enough through windscribe