• Jun 13th, 2021 11:10 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3430 posts
642 upvotes
Allenford

VPN Deals and Recommendations

Behind the times, just gettig to need one now. Primarily for watching overseas TV. Would like an account where 2-3 locations could use it (partner travels for work and so would be overseas while I need to use it at home - not usre if that is possible).

Primarily using to watch UK and Irish TV, and sports events mostly from North America (football, hockey, Nascar, baseball and UK soccer) if that helps. Not looking to download or upload anything. If that helps on advice.
Last edited by snow00774 on Jun 7th, 2021 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
24 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
2469 posts
1424 upvotes
SW ON
Search stacksocial.com for VPN. They usually have plenty of deals.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4689 posts
4764 upvotes
Vancouver
stacksocial.com is a good source for deals on cheap VPNs, but usually they aren't the top tier.

The VPN threads in this forum are a good source if you can take a few minutes to skim through them for research. Often the same deals come up regularly. If RFD search doesn't work well for you, Google is often better ("redflagdeals VPN"), and you can limit it to a time range.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
17307 posts
3740 upvotes
Toronto
Keepsolid, FastestVPN, and Windscribe work well for me when streaming USA and UK content.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2020
1113 posts
675 upvotes
audit13 wrote: Keepsolid, FastestVPN, and Windscribe work well for me when streaming USA and UK content.
Which is the fastest VPN and 2nd fastest VPN for servers near toronto for you?
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
17307 posts
3740 upvotes
Toronto
evilYoda wrote: Which is the fastest VPN and 2nd fastest VPN for servers near toronto for you?
I don't use Toronto servers since I use VPNs to view non-Canadian content. I would assume Windscribe's Canadian servers would be quick since Windscribe is located in Markham.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
2607 posts
1449 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I'm using KeepSolid VPN Unlimited Lifetime plan, so far so good. Way better than the PureVPN garbage.
Vancouver Spotify Premium Family Plan Available! $36/year! 1 Spot Left! PM for details!
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
6370 posts
1529 upvotes
Richmond Hill
evilYoda wrote: Which is the fastest VPN and 2nd fastest VPN for servers near toronto for you?
im using Keepsolid and the speeds are pretty fast for torrents, 2-4MB/s
Jul 21, 2014
791 posts
115 upvotes
Canada
Like OP I’m also late to the world of VPN. Will my internet provider cause an issue if they find out I’m using a VPN?
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2020
1113 posts
675 upvotes
yesstyle wrote: im using Keepsolid and the speeds are pretty fast for torrents, 2-4MB/s
Thanks, but i was hoping the person above you could answer since he can do a direct comparison between windscribe vs other 2. I have windscribe and wonder if i shoudl shell out for lifetime payment for the other 2.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3430 posts
642 upvotes
Allenford
Scote64 wrote: stacksocial.com is a good source for deals on cheap VPNs, but usually they aren't the top tier.

The VPN threads in this forum are a good source if you can take a few minutes to skim through them for research. Often the same deals come up regularly. If RFD search doesn't work well for you, Google is often better ("redflagdeals VPN"), and you can limit it to a time range.
thank you this is so helpful - I had googled, then searched in here and just got pages of nothing useful, combining is what I need!
Feb 9, 2008
159 posts
125 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
A popular VPN is Private Internet Access. Regular monthly rate is about $10 USD but there are discounts for yearly, and coupon codes from the usual sites.

Mozilla VPN is cheaper monthly at about $5 USD, and a rebranding of the popular mullvad.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
17307 posts
3740 upvotes
Toronto
If you want to stream content from Canada while not in Canada, the speed of the Toronto server is one part of the equation. The other parts include the type and CPU power of the streaming device and the speed of the non-Canadian server used to connect to the internet.

If you're not streaming in 4k, all 3 VPN providers should provide more than enough download speed. Upload speed isn't very relevant for streaming content.
Mar 14, 2017
178 posts
77 upvotes
I used Dashlane VPN (it comes with the Dashlane password manager subscription) and it worked quite well.
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2004
2043 posts
184 upvotes
Toronto
I prefer the more expensive option of Express VPN which seems to have the least complaints. Currently with NordVPN and can stream US content. Had IPVanish it was also okay but customer service through email isn't that great.
May 29, 2017
233 posts
161 upvotes
I used to use express VPN and it worked perfect for all my needs/torrents and steaming and while in the middle east no issues whatsoever.. However it is on the pricy side. Now I just use keepsolid.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2020
1113 posts
675 upvotes
audit13 wrote: If you want to stream content from Canada while not in Canada, the speed of the Toronto server is one part of the equation. The other parts include the type and CPU power of the streaming device and the speed of the non-Canadian server used to connect to the internet.

If you're not streaming in 4k, all 3 VPN providers should provide more than enough download speed. Upload speed isn't very relevant for streaming content.
Oh i dont stream at all. I just download files off the cloud, or torrent files.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3430 posts
642 upvotes
Allenford
Thank you - if you prefer express why currently with Nord?
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2018
1225 posts
1854 upvotes
I'm with Nord myself. Paid $120 for 2 years. They allow up to 6 different IP connections to this service. I share it with 2 others so we have 2 connections each. example: my computer and Nvidia Shield. They have 2 each as well. $40 each person for 2 years with TONS of location options... pretty good deal IMO.
$50 15GB data w/ Unlimited Canada Wide Talk and Text - Rogers
$22.99 1GB data w/ Unlimited Canada Talk/Text Canada - Public Mobile
$0.00 a month w/ Unlimited Canada Wide Talk / $9.99 6 months texting (FREE using Google Rewards) - Fongo Mobile App
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
17307 posts
3740 upvotes
Toronto
evilYoda wrote: Oh i dont stream at all. I just download files off the cloud, or torrent files.
In this case, I can't really help since I don't use the VPNs for torrenting, only streaming.