VPN for Netflix and Torrents

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 24th, 2020 1:04 pm
[OP]
Jan 17, 2017
210 posts
132 upvotes

VPN for Netflix and Torrents

Never used VPN, but recently getting emails for torrenting. Need VPN for Torrent downloads and Netflix US access. 2 or 3 devices suffice.

Can experts and users please recommend a good and cheap VPN, having enough servers for Netflix US access and good torrents speed? TIA
23 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15062 posts
2645 upvotes
I have been using Windscribe for both. No issues with Netflix, but that could always change.
[OP]
Jan 17, 2017
210 posts
132 upvotes
Thanks. I see NordVPN name everywhere these days. Is it because they are good for both, or they are just advertising a lot?
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15062 posts
2645 upvotes
bajemail wrote: Thanks. I see NordVPN name everywhere these days. Is it because they are good for both, or they are just advertising a lot?
I am sure advertising is a huge component of their popularity.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/10/21/nordv ... as-hacked/

I did not like how NordVPN handled the situation. I also do have ExpressVPN that I use for other applications. I purchased a 3-year plan with Windscibe and have 12 months left. Would I purchase it again? Absolutely! My suggestion is to give it a whirl for one month and see how it works out. They have great promos this time of year.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
1411 posts
990 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I use PrivateInternetAccess (PIA) and it isn't good for Netfllix but I use it for almost everything else and rarely have issues.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2015
1021 posts
605 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
admiraltictac wrote: Save the vpn money. Get put.io
The vpn I got costed me $2/month.
Your option costs $10/month & not useful for netflix.
That's not even the problem - your option is 200%+ more expensive than the other seedbox service.

Maybe you should be the one to browse around and save some money.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
10302 posts
2669 upvotes
Winnipeg
isn't there an rdf mod post for 15 devices for 16 usd for lifetime which works for netflix region swapping. Mostly tho I guess if torrenting you would want topay extra for security but usually less devices too.

maybe a best of both scenario one lifetime for region for at multiple tv's and the cheapest best for your torrents single device support etc.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2011
1021 posts
655 upvotes
Canada
The cutting edge vpn have wireguard support. Check for a VPN with wireguard support.

Also, NordVPN is overated by hype and they don't support port fowarding.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
42344 posts
6729 upvotes
Express VPN here. Works like a charm for Netflix both on PC and on the mobile iOS app.

Although Amazon Prime for example detects that the VPN is enabled. So what I do is to start watching Prime content, turn on Express VPN and then refresh to watch US content.
Proud to be an Indian.
1745 posts
1133 upvotes
Markham
nordvpn does not work with Netflix. They are too high profile and netflix blocks it.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2018
1402 posts
2265 upvotes
Canada, eh?
Windscribe works 100% of the time for me.
NordVPN is hit and miss and you're going to be spending a lot of time switching servers to see which one works.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
2748 posts
1511 upvotes
Mississauga
I use a seedbox. I think I pay 48USD a year for 500GB of disk space and unlimited bandwidth.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2015
1021 posts
605 upvotes
Burnaby, BC

It's not that other seedbox are 'Deals', but the one you linked us inflated its price.
If I did compare it with a seedbox 'Deal' from black friday, I would have said put.io costs 400% more than a deal I saw.

Last edited by MrDisco on Dec 19th, 2020 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: quoted post was removed
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2010
1673 posts
328 upvotes
BC
Using Surfshark. Works quite well on Netflix. But I don't know why we go crazy over US connection. I find that US content don't have the Videos I want to watch and Canadian Netflix get most of the new US content not long after.
"If you ever doubted yourself, remember, the Stupidest Man on earth became President" Li Ka Shing
Mar 11, 2007
64 posts
37 upvotes
Toronto
spiritsBB wrote: It's not that other seedbox are 'Deals', but the one you linked us inflated its price.
If I did compare it with a seedbox 'Deal' from black friday, I would have said put.io costs 400% more than a deal I saw.

Ok. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. What's 400% cheaper and better than put.io? I'm willing to concede, if you have a better alternate.

I'm in no way affiliated with Put. I would gladly switch to something better. I tried seedr and bitport, and didn't meet my req'd.

Requirements:
1) A high volume of customers ensuring popular downloads are cached for instant download.
2) At least 100GB unlimited storage
3) Iphone/Ipad, Apple TV and android TV Apps
4) Fast or no conversion on non-mp4 files.
5) FTP back-end for sync
Last edited by MrDisco on Dec 19th, 2020 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: quote was edited
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2015
1021 posts
605 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
admiraltictac wrote: Ok. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. What's 400% cheaper and better than put.io? I'm willing to concede, if you have a better alternate.

I'm in no way affiliated with Put. I would gladly switch to something better. I tried seedr and bitport, and didn't meet my req'd.

Requirements:
1) A high volume of customers ensuring popular downloads are cached for instant download.
2) At least 100GB unlimited storage
3) Iphone/Ipad, Apple TV and android TV Apps
4) Fast or no conversion on non-mp4 files.
5) FTP back-end for sync
Again, if you reread my post, a black friday deal is 400%, typical time is 200%+.

You're not trying to concede, I'm getting the sense you're attempting to promote put.io in this forum in your last post by listing out a lot of unnecessary features.

1. Popular torrents are always instant download; that feature is more important to non-popular torrents if you think about it. But if it's not popular, that feature won't work will it?
Also, they run the risk of being raided by the police if they keep Hollywood movies in their server for sharing.
2. A basic seedbox service with only 100gb is a crime these days
3. I think there are 2 ways to go about this: Just download via FTP then play it or go the Kodi/XBMC way. I never attempted Kodi/XBMC, so don't know how well that works - so no promises here.
4. I expect nothing short of mp4 file these days, so no conversion is needed. For older movies, I believe Kodi/XBMC/Plex streams the rest of the formats.
5. Dropbox type sync is unnecessary if you can already stream it, but again, I never tested how well that works. I simply just go the easier route and just download and play.

I try not to promote any seedboxes up until this point, but you can check out seedbox.io. Some seedbox service have plex support, you can check other seedbox out with plex support if that's what you need.

Have you seen thepiratebay streaming beta test last year? If that actually went online, we wouldn't have this discussion at all. It streamlined the entire process from their own website with a single "Stream-it" a button. It worked decently well too. That button would be a major threat to netflix.
[OP]
Jan 17, 2017
210 posts
132 upvotes
Thanks all for your input. None of them below mentions about Torrents in their webpage. Do all of them allow unlimited bandwidth for torrents and US Netflix access?

- Windscribe
- PrivateInternetAccess (PIA)
- Ironsocket
- ExpressVPN
- Surfshark
Feb 4, 2016
111 posts
180 upvotes
Ajax, ON
I have Nord and have been able to tap into the US abd Japan netflix with no issues off my phone.