Computers & Electronics

VPN: is this possible?

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 9th, 2021 11:46 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 11, 2003
1641 posts
200 upvotes
C-53

VPN: is this possible?

Folks,

My laptop has 2 internet ports - wired & wifi. Let's say I'm on the wired port and on a VPN to office.

On the wifi port, i'm using my phone as a wifi hotspot and connected to it and receive a different IP. However I'm still unable to browse or do stuff on this since i'm on the VPN. The office VPN blocks all non office related things.

How's VPN work? I'm guessing the VPN on the wired port is affecting the traffic on the wifi port. Confused I am.
Please thank me if you find this helpful
7 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2014
1208 posts
2185 upvotes
0 downvotes (Maple,O…
While it's possible, it depends whether your employers VPN policy allows split tunnel for you to use your alternate ethernet connection for something other than their VPN while connected to work.

It's typical large corporation prevent that as it could allow data exfiltration.

If they allow it then yet it's possible.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 15, 2020
5273 posts
3956 upvotes
doomhammer wrote: Folks,

My laptop has 2 internet ports - wired & wifi. Let's say I'm on the wired port and on a VPN to office.

On the wifi port, i'm using my phone as a wifi hotspot and connected to it and receive a different IP. However I'm still unable to browse or do stuff on this since i'm on the VPN. The office VPN blocks all non office related things.

How's VPN work? I'm guessing the VPN on the wired port is affecting the traffic on the wifi port. Confused I am.
Trying to bypass company IT security can have consequences, especially if it is on their computer loaned to you. If you must browse non-work related sites then do so using a different computer or on your phone.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 11, 2003
1641 posts
200 upvotes
C-53
fordmaple wrote: ...... split tunnel ........
Ok this is what that's called. Thx.
Please thank me if you find this helpful
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 11, 2003
1641 posts
200 upvotes
C-53
evilYoda wrote: Trying to bypass company IT security can have consequences, especially if it is on their computer loaned to you. If you must browse non-work related sites then do so using a different computer or on your phone.
I know that :rolleyes: ...... I was merely wondering if (a) such a technology exists and if it does then (b) what's it called. I know now its called VPN split tunneling.
Please thank me if you find this helpful
Deal Guru
User avatar
Feb 10, 2007
13199 posts
4546 upvotes
It comes down what the default route is. If the default route is set to the VPN then all of your traffic will go there.

Conversely, if you set the default route to your wifi and then only have static routes of your company's IP via the VPN. It would archive what you want to do.

Your localhost's routes > VPN policy
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2019
2622 posts
1281 upvotes
Many sites such as Wikipedia block split tunnelling. They still know you're using a VPN and also a Tor Browser too.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
6929 posts
4660 upvotes
SW ON
sheyenne wrote: Many sites such as Wikipedia block split tunnelling. They still know you're using a VPN and also a Tor Browser too.
What?

Top