[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
1170 posts
130 upvotes
Waterloo, ON

VPS vs dedicated

Hey guys,

Been seeing these awesome black friday deals on VPS and dedicated services (esp from TurnKey)...

I m writing an android app that gets the data from a server (this is the server that I want to change to TurnKey; using PHP-MySQL), which one should I get? VPS or dedicated?

Thanks a lot guys
54 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12990 upvotes
Why not both? Or rather get a Dedi and make it into VPSes.
I don't know what kind of data/throughput/processing your server has to do, but the only reason I'd get a VPS is if it's for extremely low end ($5ish/month)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
1170 posts
130 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
ummm first of all, it is going to be a miss and hit since i m not sure this app will hit off.. i guess what i need to know is what are the pros of going dedicated vs vps? can i use mysql client to access my db for both?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12990 upvotes
t_mo_t wrote: ummm first of all, it is going to be a miss and hit since i m not sure this app will hit off.. i guess what i need to know is what are the pros of going dedicated vs vps? can i use mysql client to access my db for both?
Both give you root access to do whatever you want. For all intents and purposes they are identical in that regard. There's some very minor differences depending on what the underlying technology is that's running the VPS but you probably won't encounter any differences that'll actually matter.

I don't know what your price point is (probably low since you don't know if the app will actually take off) so I'd probably lean towards a VPS.
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
12106 posts
3178 upvotes
What's your budget tbh. Even if your app doesn't take off, you are only looking at extra $50-60 per month for a dedicated... Thats pretty affordable.
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
1170 posts
130 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
death_hawk wrote: Both give you root access to do whatever you want. For all intents and purposes they are identical in that regard. There's some very minor differences depending on what the underlying technology is that's running the VPS but you probably won't encounter any differences that'll actually matter.

I don't know what your price point is (probably low since you don't know if the app will actually take off) so I'd probably lean towards a VPS.
So i can remotely access my MySQL db using a MySQL client (such as navicat) on VPS as well?
sexyj wrote: What's your budget tbh. Even if your app doesn't take off, you are only looking at extra $50-60 per month for a dedicated... Thats pretty affordable.
I guess the budget is 300USD/year is ok... which is what TurnKey is offering for a dedicated. I guess I want to know if I can get the same price for a VPS but higher spec than the dedicated. As long as I can have root access, remotely access my db using a client, change the httpd.conf files, forward some port, etc.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12990 upvotes
t_mo_t wrote: So i can remotely access my MySQL db using a MySQL client (such as navicat) on VPS as well?
Yup. A VPS to the client is just like a dedicated server except on the backend. As I mentioned above, there's some very minor differences but for all intents and purposes yes.
Assuming you install the MySQL server onto your VPS then yes you can access it via client.
I guess the budget is 300USD/year is ok... which is what TurnKey is offering for a dedicated. I guess I want to know if I can get the same price for a VPS but higher spec than the dedicated. As long as I can have root access, remotely access my db using a client, change the httpd.conf files, forward some port, etc.
$25/month buys you quite a ridiculous VPS but there's not too many dedicateds for that price. Not to mention a VPS (should be but isn't always) backed by RAID so there's some fault tolerance.
For that kind of price you may not get double HDDs.
Your minimum spend for a Dedicated should be around $30 or $40 a month to buy you at least some protection against HDD failure.
A VPS for just MySQL could probably be handed by a $5-10 VPS depending on actual transaction volume. Obviously if your app takes off you'll need something far bigger but for now there's no reason you can start with a $5 VPS.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2005
1669 posts
706 upvotes
You can do all of those things with a VPS. The other advantage of a VPS is depending on the provider they can increase your specs if your requirements increase. (with more cost obviously)
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
12106 posts
3178 upvotes
Why don't you opt for 1 year free Amazon AWS ?

https://aws.amazon.com/free/
t_mo_t wrote: So i can remotely access my MySQL db using a MySQL client (such as navicat) on VPS as well?

[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Jul 23, 2011
666 posts
171 upvotes
Start off with KVM VPS and if your project works out you can move to dedicated server. I wouldn't start off with a dedicated box.
Pegasus: Dual Intel Xeon E5-2650 / Intel S2600CP2J / Hynix 128GB 1600MHz DDR3 ECC / HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB x15 (60TB) / Crucial M500 240GB SSD
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
1170 posts
130 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
death_hawk wrote: Yup. A VPS to the client is just like a dedicated server except on the backend. As I mentioned above, there's some very minor differences but for all intents and purposes yes.
Assuming you install the MySQL server onto your VPS then yes you can access it via client.

$25/month buys you quite a ridiculous VPS but there's not too many dedicateds for that price. Not to mention a VPS (should be but isn't always) backed by RAID so there's some fault tolerance.
For that kind of price you may not get double HDDs.
Your minimum spend for a Dedicated should be around $30 or $40 a month to buy you at least some protection against HDD failure.
A VPS for just MySQL could probably be handed by a $5-10 VPS depending on actual transaction volume. Obviously if your app takes off you'll need something far bigger but for now there's no reason you can start with a $5 VPS.
I have tried using a cPanel hosting on a VPS and they wouldnt allow me to remotely access the db since port 3306 needed to be opened, and since it is a shared hosting, they wont allow it or unable to do it.
RAINMAN0 wrote: You can do all of those things with a VPS. The other advantage of a VPS is depending on the provider they can increase your specs if your requirements increase. (with more cost obviously)
ah yes, i guess that is quite true
sexyj wrote: Why don't you opt for 1 year free Amazon AWS ?

https://aws.amazon.com/free/
because they are quite expensive if in the end the app takes off.
xalex0 wrote: Get a VPS because you can scale it easier.
MrRockstar wrote: Start off with KVM VPS and if your project works out you can move to dedicated server. I wouldn't start off with a dedicated box.
:)
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
12106 posts
3178 upvotes
then you can migrate to an actual server

right now you are looking to spending money you don't need to yet...
t_mo_t wrote:

because they are quite expensive if in the end the app takes off.

:)
Temp. Banned
Aug 17, 2002
2245 posts
1563 upvotes
Tee . Oh
Is this app done or almost done? It sounded like you're just testing / developing it out right now. So Amazon is good for that purpose. Or you could just run your own VirtualBox, or whatever and then when you're ready move everything over to a real server.
................\ \ | / /................
(o o)
====oOOo=(_)=oOOo====
Trending Deals:
[*FREE* Glasses!] [Lenovo 28" IPS 4K 60Hz Display] [Polk Audio Subwoofer] [Cheap G-Shock Like Watch]
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12990 upvotes
t_mo_t wrote: I have tried using a cPanel hosting on a VPS and they wouldnt allow me to remotely access the db since port 3306 needed to be opened, and since it is a shared hosting, they wont allow it or unable to do it.
Are you trying to use shared hosting?
No VPS will ever have cPanel unless you install it.

Shared hosting (as in web hosting) is different than a VPS.
Temp. Banned
Aug 17, 2002
2245 posts
1563 upvotes
Tee . Oh
death_hawk wrote: Are you trying to use shared hosting?
No VPS will ever have cPanel unless you install it.

Shared hosting (as in web hosting) is different than a VPS.
Yeah sounds like shared hosting to me too, not a VPS.

- I have actually seen cPanel/WHM offered at one VPS provider. It's billed at an additional $0.02/hour.
(o o)
====oOOo=(_)=oOOo====
Trending Deals:
[*FREE* Glasses!] [Lenovo 28" IPS 4K 60Hz Display] [Polk Audio Subwoofer] [Cheap G-Shock Like Watch]
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2006
3674 posts
963 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: No VPS will ever have cPanel unless you install it.

Zero wrote: - I have actually seen cPanel/WHM offered at one VPS provider. It's billed at an additional $0.02/hour.
Have not been following the discussion but wanted to point out that there are indeed many VPS hosts that offer cPanel/WHM as part of the package.
Temp. Banned
Aug 17, 2002
2245 posts
1563 upvotes
Tee . Oh
bowmah wrote: Have not been following the discussion but wanted to point out that there are indeed many VPS hosts that offer cPanel/WHM as part of the package.
Do you know where I could find a list of VPS hosts that offer cPanel/WHM?
(o o)
====oOOo=(_)=oOOo====
Trending Deals:
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
12106 posts
3178 upvotes
If you really want to know, cpanel license for vps is only 11 per month

so just add/subtract that number on top of the vps providers price
Zero wrote: Do you know where I could find a list of VPS hosts that offer cPanel/WHM?