Computers & Electronics

VR Headsets. Not impressed. Google Carboard? yak! Oculus? Yew.How to stream from PC?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 8th, 2016 2:20 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6622 posts
2313 upvotes
Vancouver

VR Headsets. Not impressed. Google Carboard? yak! Oculus? Yew.How to stream from PC?

I tried google cardboard and wasn't that impressed. Tried another one(20bux plastic one from china) and it wasn't that good either. Very narrow field of view and I actually don't find the content as 3d.
From my understanding to make these work, one of the sides of the videos must play a bit slower/faster and that's what would give the 3d look. I've yet to find a player that would do it. All the videos out there play at the same speed and there's no player I am aware of where I can control(or it can self adjust) the speed from one of the sides, making the 3d effect barely visible or non existent.
I don't know if other people who make these players actually know that, I thought that was the common knowledge.

Also, does anyone know if there' a way to use a phone to play any games in vr glasses? Either via cable or wifi? The Oculus games that will be released are absolutely awful and perhaps what we all were playing in 1999...lol.
I am sure there's a way to stream your PC screen to your phone,but perhaps a piece of software is needed to divide the screen into 2. That would make any phone capable of playing any modern game and you won't need to buy Oculus or it's games from the 90s.
7 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2006
1496 posts
745 upvotes
Toronto
No one is "imporessed" with this post.

1. 3D stereoscopic images have nothing to do with playback speed. They're two slightly different images, shot by two cameras. For VR 3D, two different images are rendered.
2. Read: http://www.wareable.com/vr/how-does-vr-work-explained
Home automation, NOVO (HiFi) Magazine, Google Trusted Photographer, electric vehicles.
Deal Addict
Jul 9, 2004
1572 posts
171 upvotes
Delta
Some of the games on oculus are actually pretty impressive e.g. the space sims. The sense of presence is hard to describe. The low resolution is a problem but sounds like the consumer version will be much improved in that aspect.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
2464 posts
850 upvotes
Feel free not to purchase. Calling google cardboard a vr headset is like calling mcdonalds fine dining.

What you're looking for based on your description is a Samsung Gear VR, which requires you own a semi recent samsung phone.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2008
2363 posts
173 upvotes
dighn wrote: The low resolution is a problem but sounds like the consumer version will be much improved in that aspect.
Both the Vive and Rift CV1 are relatively low resolution (1080x1200 per eye) because that's about all a PC can render at 90Hz with decent graphics quality. But I believe that's about 20% more pixels in each direction than the previous generation of developer kits.

You'll have to wait for the second or third generation headsets to get the equivalent of 4k PC gaming in VR. Most likely with eye tracking so it only has to do high-quality rendering in the area you're looking at.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6622 posts
2313 upvotes
Vancouver
yesterday I hoooked up my LG G4 to my PC, put it into a VRBOX headset (about 80degree at the most) and played Metal Gear Solid for a bit. Had to put it to the lowest setting, which although looked bad on my 30" monitor, was ok on the phone. However, the average frame rate was only about 25-30 with my few year old 7900 series card. I am sure on a new 2016 video cards, I'd be getting 60+ at much better resolution.
I'll have to wait for the StarVR,since it has 210FOV( our eyes are about 200-240fov, so this is amazing)
Oculus is about 110 which is still pretty low to be immersed.

The thing is, Yes, for gaming you do need high powered PC, but not for watching movies as you are using your phone and any 2015+ phones are capable of handling it with no lag. If I can have a 150fov+ headset, I may just stop going to movie theaters as those can get you pretty immersed.

At this point, the cheapest large FOV would be the BOBOVR Z4, which is about to be released @ $45-60. Next after that is Wearality Sky @ around $100, though it won't hit the general pub for around 2-3 months and it's not a box and has a lot of limitations due to it having an open design.

I think VR thing is just catching up to all of us( I've had 3d glasses back around 2004 which were making my 23" crt screen 3d-like). All the companies are just starting to get their foot in VR and they'll need another year or two to start releasing REAL VR headsets. For now many just created BS videos on what their headsets may be able to do.

PS. I lol at people who spend $250+ on Samsung Gear VR when it's just a box similar to Google Cardboard or any Chinese replicas at $30. Plus it's FOV is around 95, which is too small to command such price.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
3545 posts
1860 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Check out Hootoo VR headset good reviews
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6622 posts
2313 upvotes
Vancouver
lamboman wrote: Check out Hootoo VR headset good reviews
It's the 100% the same rebranded chinese garbage as VR box. They have about 5 more different names. People give good reviews because they don't know any better... FOV of VRbox and Hootoo is 80degrees at the most. Also, VRbox is as cheap as $18 shipped. Hootoo is more expensive because it's being pushed to North America and people here are too lazy to do any research...

In addition to that. Half of the 5-star reviews for HOOTOO VR are FAKE. A lot of those people are in the Review-for-Product clubs so they receive their free products in exchange for a positive review. Some even state that. It's against Amazon TOS, but being a sh*tty company, Amazon could care less, as long as they are getting paid. Half of my 1-star reviews on amazon are not getting approved because they really protect their scam sellers who can peddle you snake oil for $100/ml.