• Aug 30th, 2020 1:29 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Oct 29, 2009
622 posts
305 upvotes

VW Appearance Protection?

Wondering if anybody has any thoughts on this coverage. It seems to cover quite a range of stuff (windshield replacement, dents, paint repair, tires/rims, curb scuff, head/tail light, interior, replaced lost key fobs, etc.) and since I'm i) a high mileage driver, and ii) I hate when things aren't quite perfect, it seems like it might be a good idea

Link to brochure

I know that in general these dealer add-ons are obviously meant to make money for the dealership, and therefore take money from the customer. But I do like the piece of mind this coverage brings. Would like to hear if anybody has experience with it and has successfully made any claims on it.

It is $1885 for 5years/200 000 km. Although it will be discounted a few hundred in the wheeling/dealing I'm sure.
30 replies
Mar 6, 2008
456 posts
197 upvotes
Ottawa
I bought it for my Golf R, but haven't had any experiences making any claims, so I can't speak to that front. However, I made the decision to buy it based on that fact that lots of R owners have bent multiple wheels and blown out their tires completely by hitting a pothole. I've seen you around VW Vortex and there's a recent thread on some guy bending all 4 Cadiz wheels from hitting a pothole. The wheels are 800 a pop from the dealership.

The only thing is I have no idea how easy the claim process is.
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
3989 upvotes
Toronto
McGuillicuddy wrote: Wondering if anybody has any thoughts on this coverage. It seems to cover quite a range of stuff (windshield replacement, dents, paint repair, tires/rims, curb scuff, head/tail light, interior, replaced lost key fobs, etc.) and since I'm i) a high mileage driver, and ii) I hate when things aren't quite perfect, it seems like it might be a good idea

Link to brochure

I know that in general these dealer add-ons are obviously meant to make money for the dealership, and therefore take money from the customer. But I do like the piece of mind this coverage brings. Would like to hear if anybody has experience with it and has successfully made any claims on it.

It is $1885 for 5years/200 000 km. Although it will be discounted a few hundred in the wheeling/dealing I'm sure.
hey man, I got this on my Jetta to. The quote was roughly $1885 as well from what I remember for the 5 year package. I cant remember which package I got, its suppose to cover wheels/rims/key fob (1 per year for 5 years)/ to a certain $$ amount, scratches, etc. They have different levels.

I didn't really want it.. and I just hmmmmmmed aalot when the guy was talking about.. he ended up dropping the price for $1800 or so to like $1,000. which changed my payment by like $10 a month.so im like, k well my wif is going to drive this beast mode car and wil probably scrartch it in the underground parking lot, and probably scuff my rims to , so might as well take it.

I haven't made any claims, but I just scuffed my rim pretty badly the other day not pay attention cause my wife was arguing with me.. here I am thinking im a pro driver and better than my wife and what do I do?? boom.
Jun 8, 2016
55 posts
157 upvotes
"Damage due to collision and vandalism is excluded"

Does that means any door ding and bumper scratch from parking lot hit and run are excluded? I guess the windshield curb scuff protection is still worthwhile.
[OP]
Oct 29, 2009
622 posts
305 upvotes
Shallos wrote: "Damage due to collision and vandalism is excluded"

Does that means any door ding and bumper scratch from parking lot hit and run are excluded? I guess the windshield curb scuff protection is still worthwhile.
No, a door ding is not considered a collision. It means that if you get in an auto collision (i.e. an accident) then you still have to go through your normal insurance.

Nonetheless, I've pretty much decided to forget it. Too much fine print and limits on what is/is not covered and coverage amounts. Plus redundant coverage with existing comprehensive insurance. I feel like I would almost be certain to come across a situation where I wanted something fixed only to be told it was not covered. And that would piss me off. Not worth the money or aggravation.
Jun 8, 2016
55 posts
157 upvotes
McGuillicuddy wrote: No, a door ding is not considered a collision. It means that if you get in an auto collision (i.e. an accident) then you still have to go through your normal insurance.

Nonetheless, I've pretty much decided to forget it. Too much fine print and limits on what is/is not covered and coverage amounts. Plus redundant coverage with existing comprehensive insurance. I feel like I would almost be certain to come across a situation where I wanted something fixed only to be told it was not covered. And that would piss me off. Not worth the money or aggravation.
Since I've always had such bad experience from car dealerships, my default starting point on anything extra on a new car is that it is not worth the money. Heck I couldn't even get a dealer to NOT install a block heater for me. It is just my bias.
Deal Fanatic
May 22, 2003
6347 posts
3274 upvotes
Vancouver
Yodums wrote: I bought it for my Golf R, but haven't had any experiences making any claims, so I can't speak to that front. However, I made the decision to buy it based on that fact that lots of R owners have bent multiple wheels and blown out their tires completely by hitting a pothole. I've seen you around VW Vortex and there's a recent thread on some guy bending all 4 Cadiz wheels from hitting a pothole. The wheels are 800 a pop from the dealership.

The only thing is I have no idea how easy the claim process is.
I bought it for my Golf R, just because I guarantee I will curb the rims at some point. (Yes, I'm not good at parallel parking)
Deal Fanatic
Feb 14, 2006
9674 posts
1056 upvotes
Didn't get any of this for my Golf R. Sorta felt it'd be useless. I already curbed one of my rims, but the brochure says damaged wheels from road hazards only, not by your own mistake.?

Ah well. I'm expecting to shell out a pretty penny at the end of this lease
Deal Fanatic
May 22, 2003
6347 posts
3274 upvotes
Vancouver
Shallos wrote: "Damage due to collision and vandalism is excluded"

Update, I'm making a claim on my Golf R as I have a minor scrape on my lower front bumper from curb. Dealership is telling me it's not covered as it's considered collision. I told them that I specifically asked the person who sold me the package what was considered collision - and he told me if it was due to an accident with another car. They said they'll "try" to submit a claim for me but warned me it will likely be rejected. Do I call VW Customer Service to escalate this claim? I specifically bought the package for things like this, if it didn't cover I would not have purchased.
Banned
Mar 13, 2018
1385 posts
676 upvotes
Read fine print.

Often they don't cover rims that are curbed, only from road side hazard.

Scrapes on bumper from driving against curb is considered collision since the curb can't hit you on its own

Panel covered for paint maybe for vertical panels only (meaning no hood or roof)

Also limits on total value and number of times used. (eg upto 2 incidents for rims for life of agreement or $x amt)
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
3989 upvotes
Toronto
since this got bumped up.

I just realized that this policy was a scam and I was scammed.

so here I am thinking I get all this coverage for FREE as part of my premium... Oh no no.... you can only get as much payout AS YOUVE PAID for the package........... so if your package cost you like $1100, you really can only claim $1100 in damage.......................................................................................

that's definitely NOT how it was explained to me.
Dec 24, 2009
817 posts
459 upvotes
If it's too good to be true...

Who wouldn't pay $1000-1800 to drive like a maniac and claim curbed wheels and body damage if it was so easy?
Deal Fanatic
May 22, 2003
6347 posts
3274 upvotes
Vancouver
Gboard2 wrote: Read fine print.

Often they don't cover rims that are curbed, only from road side hazard.

Scrapes on bumper from driving against curb is considered collision since the curb can't hit you on its own

Panel covered for paint maybe for vertical panels only (meaning no hood or roof)

Also limits on total value and number of times used. (eg upto 2 incidents for rims for life of agreement or $x amt)
If you read the brochure, it says curb scuff due to parking maneuvers is included. https://finance.vwmodels.ca/imgs/pdf/Ap ... ection.pdf

Like Daivey said, the issue is the salesperson who sold me the package misrepresented what was considered collision. I had originally declined the package, but in the end she convinced me to buy it after telling me it would cover bumper scrapes up to $1000 (as long as it did not involve another vehicle) and wheel scuffs - so I figured it would be worth it just to not have to sweat minor scrapes. Unfortunately, I did not have the foresight to record that. Anyways, my fault for not reading through the contract. The scrapes are on the lower front lip so you can't really see it, so it's not end of the world, but pretty peeved as I would not have purchased if the salesperson was clear and told me such scrapes were not covered. My dealer is booked solid until November so I'll update then. In the future, like others have suggested, I will decline all extended warranty/coverage packages.
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
3989 upvotes
Toronto
Ken_vs_Ryu wrote: If it's too good to be true...

Who wouldn't pay $1000-1800 to drive like a maniac and claim curbed wheels and body damage if it was so easy?
because dude, it's just sales shit. that's all. it's a complete con.. But they catch you off gaurd.. I was in there, trying to sign loan for my car... OH PS we have insurance on the car.. and they are like "hey u know for $1100 it protects your paint, your leather, your windsheidl, NEW KEys if you lose them no questions asked, brand new tires if they get destroeyd, etc, etc,etc.

So in the moment youre like sounds like a scam....... then they bring the price down... and im just like damn ok sounds good.

but i didn't really read the fine fine fine print. And the way the policy is written it's not very clear how it works.. It sounds like insurance at first... WELL I only fuond out that they only cover as much as you PAY, when I made a claim.....

so yeah it's a scam. AS someone said - you may as well take the cost of the package, and invest it...
Deal Fanatic
May 22, 2003
6347 posts
3274 upvotes
Vancouver
daivey wrote:
but i didn't really read the fine fine fine print. And the way the policy is written it's not very clear how it works.. It sounds like insurance at first... WELL I only fuond out that they only cover as much as you PAY, when I made a claim.....

so yeah it's a scam. AS someone said - you may as well take the cost of the package, and invest it...
I haven't read the contract yet, but if this is the case, it's a total scam. I was also sold on it being like an insurance policy, with limits as set out by brochure (e.g. $1000 for paint, $400 for curb scuff, $10,000/term, etc.)
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
3989 upvotes
Toronto
notenoughsleep wrote: I haven't read the contract yet, but if this is the case, it's a total scam. I was also sold on it being like an insurance policy, with limits as set out by brochure (e.g. $1000 for paint, $400 for curb scuff, $10,000/term, etc.)
well that's what I thought... i dunno maybe that was the deal that I got?
the thing is when I called in to make a claim, they said "this claim will reduce your claim amount by the amount of the claim. e.g. $1100 is your policy for the life, and then -$300 from it, so future claim will not be able to exceed this".

thats what they said to me (the VW prrotection people that I called).
Mar 2, 2019
2 posts
I have a VW Jetta 2014. I put in a claim on this policy this month, after having to take the car myself to the body shop for photos and a quote, only to hear that VW have rejected my claim. Apparently the minor scratches on my bodywork are either too long, not long enough, or not deep enough to cover. As there are many different minor nicks I’m wondering what is covered. What I do know if that this cover is a con. I’m never buying VW again.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
4049 posts
4241 upvotes
RichardR30182 wrote: I have a VW Jetta 2014. I put in a claim on this policy this month, after having to take the car myself to the body shop for photos and a quote, only to hear that VW have rejected my claim. Apparently the minor scratches on my bodywork are either too long, not long enough, or not deep enough to cover. As there are many different minor nicks I’m wondering what is covered. What I do know if that this cover is a con. I’m never buying VW again.
I don't understand how this is VW's fault.

1) Did you read the contract policy at length?
2) It is highly unlikely VW is the underwriter. Are you sure VW is at fault here?
3) If you feel you are in the right, sue them.
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Mar 2, 2019
2 posts
When the dealer says the policy will take care of all minor paint issues then you tend to believe them. No I didn’t read all the small print. VW back east make the call as to if the claim is covered.