Automotive

VW MK5 (2008) Rabbit 2.5 L. "Throttle Body issue", replacement? UPDATE!

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 23rd, 2020 5:43 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2006
2047 posts
337 upvotes
Downtown Toronto

VW MK5 (2008) Rabbit 2.5 L. "Throttle Body issue", replacement? UPDATE!

Hey RFD,

I hope someone here can chime in on this. I got a Check engine light recently and am having a rough idle. Car feels weaker. I drove it to a garage they checked it and said it is a T.B.I Throttle Body issue. suggested try get one used. to save money. should be 50-75$ New he said would cost $300 So I thought hmm ok used sounds better lol. Then I have this "Family mechanic" but lately his quotes have been questionable as you can do a search and find a ball park figure of the price. But I decided to ask him what he can do for me as a second opinion.

He replied $525 + 7$ Gasket and $30 to install. His cost for the parts. I asked is this OEM or something? he said no, it's aftermarket part price. But when I do a search I see anywhere from 150+ ( and the fact he was more expensive than the garage I brought it too baffled me) as I thought and assume it would be way less, by using a back yard mechanic.

But because I am not familiar with this all, I know RFD likes to save money and would like to hear if it sounds right? or have a suggestion of where or who, an honest garage.

anyway VW heads from the GTA here?
Last edited by yatta on Jul 23rd, 2020 5:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
15 replies
Penalty Box
Jun 26, 2009
5141 posts
4877 upvotes
GTA
bhrm wrote: Ask Perjad at http://www.precisiontuning.ca/

One of the best VW shops in the GTA, and honest.
Best advice in this thread so far. Buying part and diy makes more sense, but who knows if they diagnosed the correct problem. Changing parts blindly can be really expensive and time consuming.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5070 posts
3251 upvotes
"throttle body issue" sounds super vague even as an error code. It could be a bad sensor or carbon build up, but the 2.5L isn't direct injection so not really likely.

The 2.5L is pretty solid and really underrated as an engine. It's a bit of an oddball being 5 cylinder but VW was right to bring that into North America.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2006
2047 posts
337 upvotes
Downtown Toronto
Thanks for chiming in. So The Family mechanic sent me a message around 2 hours later. After I replied saying ok, let me figure something out. He said Bring it buy and I will clean it for $30, I did however looked into this myself and bought some cleaner and was going to try cleaning it, From the DIY videos out there. But, he has a good car reader etc and figured it would be worth a shot to bring it to him to look at it in person. Instead of just telling him what one person said. Thanks for bringing http://www.precisiontuning.ca/ to my attention though! I will see what happens tomorrow.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2006
2047 posts
337 upvotes
Downtown Toronto
bhrm wrote: "throttle body issue" sounds super vague even as an error code. It could be a bad sensor or carbon build up, but the 2.5L isn't direct injection so not really likely.

The 2.5L is pretty solid and really underrated as an engine. It's a bit of an oddball being 5 cylinder but VW was right to bring that into North America.
oh.. so cleaning the throttle body may not do anything? also The car at times was making a whining sound, almost high pitch sound whirling. so strange... when the car is revving on its own I blast the A C on full and it seems to bring the higher idle down.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2006
2047 posts
337 upvotes
Downtown Toronto
derass wrote: List price for a new OEM throttle body is $670 USD (~$900 CAD).

https://parts.vw.com/p/Volkswagen__Jett ... 3062A.html

So it makes sense that re-manufactured or aftermarket would be $300-500 CAD.
ouch, I did a search and saw as low as $96 EDIT (+ 60 shipping) for aftermarket so, that is why I was sticker shocked at the $565 for non OEM I will ask him in person tomorrow his source. And update
Last edited by yatta on Jul 19th, 2020 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5070 posts
3251 upvotes
yatta wrote: oh.. so cleaning the throttle body may not do anything? also The car at times was making a whining sound, almost high pitch sound whirling. so strange... when the car is revving on its own I blast the A C on full and it seems to bring the higher idle down.
Throttle body cleaning works for direct fuel injection engines, pretty much anything after 2010+ and some engines are REALLY prone to gunk build up like the early Hyundai's and Kia's.

Unless the mechanic removes it and takes a look, they can guess all they want. Cleaning could work, it could not. They want your money.

Email Perjad there, and he'll speak from experience or investigate. Blasting your AC just turns on the compressor. High pitch sounds could be anything, worn bearing, accessory belt, fan,
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
2571 posts
3465 upvotes
Barrie, ON
Perjad is your guy for anything VW related. Dealt with him many times when I drove TDIs. Good guy, honest service.
Deal Guru
Oct 7, 2010
12961 posts
3976 upvotes
There are vw mechanics that are reliable. Look them up.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33229 posts
15041 upvotes
OP is your EPC light also on (in addition to the MIL)? Typically speaking an ETC issue is gonna throw the EPC light on too, and likely the ESP light too. But it depends.
bhrm wrote: "throttle body issue" sounds super vague even as an error code. It could be a bad sensor or carbon build up, but the 2.5L isn't direct injection so not really likely.
Huh? Throttle body carbon and DI carbon deposits on valves are completely different issues. Carbon can build up on the back side of pretty much any fuel injected TB, whether it's direct injected or not.
bhrm wrote: Throttle body cleaning works for direct fuel injection engines, pretty much anything after 2010+ and some engines are REALLY prone to gunk build up like the early Hyundai's and Kia's.

Unless the mechanic removes it and takes a look, they can guess all they want. Cleaning could work, it could not. They want your money.

Email Perjad there, and he'll speak from experience or investigate. Blasting your AC just turns on the compressor. High pitch sounds could be anything, worn bearing, accessory belt, fan,
Still not sure what cleaning the throttle body does necessarily for DI engines that it doesn't do for any other engine. Throttle bodies should be cleaned on all engine types but you have to have a really dirty one to have it cause problems. That said if this car has been going for 12+ years and never been cleaned it's possible.

The relative high cost of the TB is due to it being ETC like pretty much every other car in the past decade or more (and for VW probably around two decades, I'd imagine). If the stepper motor is done, nothing cleaning is gonna do though it might be dirty enough to be impeding the motor's operation (though honestly I think it's unlikely still). Another option is to send it somewhere to be rebuilt/refurbed but this is really only an option if you can go without the car for some time (as in 2nd car or you're on the "WFH" program right now).

All that said I would also recommend actually getting a proper diagnosis and not some seemingly off-the-cuff "it's a TB issue". Also +1 for precisiontuning. Never had any repairs done there but the guy is quite knowledgeable, great to talk with, and I've bought a few parts/fluids from there.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
7215 posts
6391 upvotes

It was reliable especially for a VW due to N/A but was a dog of an engine with abysmal fuel economy and anemic power and ran out of power at higher rev range and was poor in NVH.

But granted at that time of the mk5 rabbit, they were selling the city golf and city Jetta with the 2.0 from the 80s lol
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5070 posts
3251 upvotes
StatsGuy wrote: It was reliable especially for a VW due to N/A but was a dog of an engine with abysmal fuel economy and anemic power and ran out of power at higher rev range and was poor in NVH.

But granted at that time of the mk5 rabbit, they were selling the city golf and city Jetta with the 2.0 from the 80s lol
It was a pretty decent engine at the time. Up against the others in its class, the Altima with its horrid CVT, Honda Accord's engine was bleh, Mazda 3/5/6's 2.3L was less power and because of bad tranny gearing actually worse fuel mileage. At that generation, I had a Mazda 3 with the 2.3L and family car was the Rabbit, on a two car road trip the Rabbit had better fuel consumption because it could cruise under 2000rpm while my Mazda was ridiculous at over 3000rpm on the highway.

VW did the whole under tune to avoid creeping into selling their 2.0T, which happened back when they had the 1.8t vs VR6 in 4th generation.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2006
2047 posts
337 upvotes
Downtown Toronto
Hey Update time in case anyone was curious.

So, after a 2nd opinion and some research online. The issue was nothing to do with the throttle body after all. And thanks for pointing out to look further into, instead of just replacing parts here and there. The cause of the rough idle and high pitch whining was apparently caused by the PCV Valve Diaphragm! As you may be aware VW only sells the whole valve cover that has the Diaphragm and the cost was $300+

I took the risk after research and bought a PCV Valve Diaphragm repair kit for $24 DIY'd it and it seems to have fixed it, Thank you for encouraging me to DIY it. I usually don't bother because I am intimidated, but lately I started to challenge my self with in reason to tackle jobs on my car. Next going to replace the air filter, because I heard that will help keep the PCV Valve Diaphragm last longer. But I do appreciate the suggestions of mechanics and will be contacting them from this point on for issues I don't feel comfortable with and to hopefully get honest suggestion. Cause I think I am done with the Garage who said oh TB issue.

added photos so you can see the tears and guk build up etc

Thanks for the thumbs down tho
Images
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-07-23 at 5.45.34 PM (1).jpeg
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-07-23 at 5.45.34 PM.jpeg
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-07-23 at 5.45.34 PM (2).jpeg