Food & Drink

A&W coffee is so good

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 23rd, 2018 1:43 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 16, 2008
4351 posts
1909 upvotes

A&W coffee is so good

So I tried A&W coffee for the first time. My oh my, it's miles better than anything else at other chains. So I searched it up and they've been serving Van Houtte organic fair-trade 100% Arabica blend made exclusively for A&W. No wonder why it tastes so good. I'm a believer now.
61 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 16, 2008
4351 posts
1909 upvotes
booblehead wrote: Better than McDonald's ?
I drink McD's coffee everyday and at many different locations in different provinces. The problem with MCD's coffee is consistency. I've had Mcdonald's coffee ranging anywhere between very good to undrinkable. But even then, the best of Mcdonald's coffee can't compare with A&W IMO.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16372 posts
3660 upvotes
Toronto
ilove wrote: I drink McD's coffee everyday and at many different locations in different provinces. The problem with MCD's coffee is consistency. I've had Mcdonald's coffee ranging anywhere between very good to undrinkable. But even then, the best of Mcdonald's coffee can't compare with A&W IMO.
Ah, see now, when I argue that McDonald's coffee is the same everywhere, I do not travel far outside Toronto.
I find that unlike Tim Horton's, I can order from Eaton's Centre or from Scarborough Town (mall location) and the taste will be very close.

A&W is under fire for not offering coupons at the same price for all locations... http://www.citynews.ca/2017/03/11/aw-coupons/
(Unlike McDonald's, which maintains that the coupons are the same for all of Ontario)

So, if you like A&W coffee...how much you pay (with the breakfast coupon) depends on where you are in Toronto...enjoy!

http://www.citynews.ca/video/iframe/593 ... 6425589001
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 16, 2008
4351 posts
1909 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote: Ah, see now, when I argue that McDonald's coffee is the same everywhere, I do not travel far outside Toronto.
I find that unlike Tim Horton's, I can order from Eaton's Centre or from Scarborough Town (mall location) and the taste will be very close.

A&W is under fire for not offering coupons at the same price for all locations... http://www.citynews.ca/2017/03/11/aw-coupons/
(Unlike McDonald's, which maintains that the coupons are the same for all of Ontario)

So, if you like A&W coffee...how much you pay (with the breakfast coupon) depends on where you are in Toronto...enjoy!

http://www.citynews.ca/video/iframe/593 ... 6425589001
I've had coffee at many McDonald's locations in different provinces. Even the same location can be wildly inconsistent. This tells me that it's a quality control issue.

And I don't live in the GTA. Please don't assume everyone does Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 20, 2010
3546 posts
1521 upvotes
Thanks OP, I'll give it a taste test this week. I also mentioned in another thread that although A&W has had stores in the GTA for several years. It was not until earlier this year that I finally went to an A&W and finally tried their burgers.

Personally, IMHO in order to judge and critique a good cup of coffee you really can only drink it one way to tell if it good or not. You have to drink the coffee black. No cream, sugar or milk for my coffee taste test.
Sr. Member
Jul 20, 2012
684 posts
219 upvotes
Toronto
It's good coffee. I get it when I go to Picton . I stop at the Trenton En Route on the 401. There's never a line at A&W, it's quicker than waiting at Tim Horton's.
Member
May 5, 2016
425 posts
219 upvotes
Toronto
Mr_Fanta wrote: Personally, IMHO in order to judge and critique a good cup of coffee you really can only drink it one way to tell if it good or not. You have to drink the coffee black. No cream, sugar or milk for my coffee taste test.
Also it really depends how long the coffee was in the pot for. I know my local Tim Hortons doesn't change their coffee every 20 minutes during slow periods because most of the time it tastes like chinese herbal medicine. Absolutely dreadful.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 28, 2004
21373 posts
2614 upvotes
Toronto
Thx for the heads-up OP, will try....

I think I tried it once....went to some mall early and grabbed breakfast at A&W (I think it was A&W)....their breakfast isn't shabby either!

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2002
1162 posts
39 upvotes
Toronto
Too bad I didn't know about this earlier. I had lunch at an A&W over the weekend and they drop some coupons which had one for a free coffee. I just left it on the counter. Crying Face
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 29, 2013
1272 posts
899 upvotes
When I go to A&W I want the root beer so coffee is a second on my list no matter how good it is.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 5, 2016
2611 posts
186 upvotes
I'll give it a shot. These days I'm favoring tea more and more tho Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Cold Sweat
Member
Apr 22, 2005
340 posts
1 upvote
Kitchener
They must have changed their coffee then? I had it a few years back and it was so bad I swore it off for good, shame because their breakfast sandwiches are pretty good
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8552 upvotes
GTHA
sticks wrote: They must have changed their coffee then? I had it a few years back and it was so bad I swore it off for good, shame because their breakfast sandwiches are pretty good
March 2015 A&W announced they partnered with Van Houtte.

http://www.marketwired.com/press-releas ... 996376.htm

"The brewed coffee is exclusively blended and roasted for A&W by Montreal-based master roaster Van Houtte. The lively 100% Arabica, organic, Fair Trade blend is rich and full bodied in taste and always served fresh. Together with any of A&W's range of fresh-to-order breakfast offerings, it is the perfect start to any morning."
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 16, 2008
4351 posts
1909 upvotes
I must say A&W ruined my daily MCD/TH coffee for good.
Member
User avatar
Feb 29, 2016
228 posts
78 upvotes
A&W has worked it's way back to one of my top fast food choices. Always loved the root beer and enjoyed their burgers but the breakfast and coffee is top notch.

Top