Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
12720 posts
2144 upvotes
Vancouver

A&W new root beer ?

Has anyone had the new root beer which apparently has been available for a few weeks?

Anyone notice a difference from the previous recipe?
33 replies
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
12720 posts
2144 upvotes
Vancouver
Has anyone tried it yet? Been available for a week.
Feb 29, 2016
228 posts
78 upvotes
Big fan so I really hope this doesn't become a fiasco like New Coke.
Jun 30, 2009
664 posts
128 upvotes
Vancouver
I had a root beer the other day at A&W. Didn't really notice anything off about it.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
17679 posts
4805 upvotes
Toronto
dchimera wrote: I had a root beer the other day at A&W. Didn't really notice anything off about it.
There's a chance that maybe you might have gotten the last of the older stuff. (which was already fine...)
I'd wait until Saturday to officially taste the new A&W rootbeer for free.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13749 posts
2453 upvotes
City of Vancouver
How many calories is it?
De gustibus non est disputandum
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13749 posts
2453 upvotes
City of Vancouver
i am logged out of rfd every time I leave the page... so. no, not easy to look up online for me.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Jul 23, 2017
1 posts
We got it through the drive thru on Friday night. It was like the New Coke of the 80's. Bland taste, barely tasted like root beer. I've always remembered a&w root beer to have a very refreshing, unmistakeable "now this is great root beer!" taste. Now it really doesn't taste any different than their competitors products. I hope they come back with an a&w root beer classic.......what do they say.......those who forget history are doomed to repeat it. Well done Coke......not!
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
10350 posts
2285 upvotes
Victoria
The funny thing about coke is I buy a case of Mexican Coke from Costco everytime I travel to the US. They still use Cane Sugar (instead of corn syrup). The combination of that and the glass bottles has me drinking that recipe.

By the book you would think the new root beer recipe would be a winner. I do like the fact it says you can buy it in glass bottles. I don't do fast food too often, and drinking beverages out of plastic bottles (or small cans) isn't that great.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2292 posts
1858 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
We tried it both diet and regular this weekend. The diet tasted the same, I don't think there was any change. The regular had the 'cane sugar' taste. I can't explain other than if you have had sugar cane before, it has the same flavouring. I like sugar can, so I liked the change, but my spouse does not like sugar cane, so no surprise he didn't like it as much. It also seemed to go flat really quickly, but that could be b cause my kids were carrying the cup, and may have shaken out the fizz.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Jul 14, 2015
11 posts
Toronto, ON
took advantage of the free Saturday offer. tasted very creamy. could be colder however it was served in their takeaway cup not their iced mugs.
Mar 19, 2013
696 posts
210 upvotes
Prince Albert, Sask.
Picked up a 4 pack. Love it. Cane sugar is awesome.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
17679 posts
4805 upvotes
Toronto
I tried the new Rootbeer. It definitely has a sharper licorice taste now.

"Licorice: natural licorice creates a richness of flavour in every sip with slightly bitter, sweet and spicy undertones."

That's okay with me, but that's coming from someone who cries out that I want Sarsi soda here, a beverage where the licorice taste (real or not) stands out even more so.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2972 upvotes
has a sweeter taste, but other than that I didn't taste a difference. I am not a hardcore root beer guy to begin with.