[Wagjag] Esso $360 for $315

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 16th, 2019 11:33 am
Tags:
None
Mar 27, 2006
266 posts
160 upvotes
ShocWave wrote: How do you get the 15% off? Is it a targeted offer?

On a side note, how are you guys seeing this as a hot deal?
2.5 cent cards are free if you walk into the station and grab it off the shelf.

Spending $15 to save $60 nets you $45 over 600L, which is about 7.5 cents per litre. If you subtract 2.5 cents from this, it's only a saving of 5 cents/L.
In Vancouver where gas is roughly 1.45cents/L, it only translate to an overall savings of 3.5%.

Also... By spending $315 online, you will get lower cashback than filling up at the pump.
Losing 1% or more in some cases unless you have something like the Rogers MC World Elite.
Definitely not as good as Cardswap offers last year:

Esso $250.00 + 10 c off 500(=$50) + 500 SwapPoints(=$5)

Total Paid $255
Jan 15, 2010
402 posts
165 upvotes
Got a 15% off promo code 15BUY19, not sure if it applies to gift cards.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 9, 2006
9045 posts
11847 upvotes
GT-EH
MrDisco wrote:
I'm trying to understand the math. You can't stack discount cards so how are you subtracting the 2.5c/L card with the initial 10c/L card?
He's saying the deal is not for people who are strong in math! Face With Tears Of Joy J/k..

The deal is cleverly disguised because...
The NET savings is actually $45 over 600L which works out to exactly 7.5c/L (working it backwards 0.075x600=45)

It's the NET savings that matters because you are over-paying 15 for a 300 gift card.
What's the best credit card for...
Behold, true glory. #PCMasterRace!
Sep 30, 2001
28135 posts
7178 upvotes
Toronto
GiOBoY wrote: It's the NET savings that matters because you are over-paying 15 for a 300 gift card.
yeah i got that. his second part of the statement was subtracting 2.5c/L resulting in 5c/L. How is he doing this?
We're all in this together. Be kind and civil with one another
Deal Fanatic
Apr 9, 2006
9045 posts
11847 upvotes
GT-EH
MrDisco wrote: yeah i got that. his second part of the statement was subtracting 2.5c/L resulting in 5c/L. How is he doing this?
Oh, yea, I'm not sure where he got that idea that 2.5c/L cards are free in-store (grab it off the shelf?!?!).
(I think that's what he's referring to...)
What's the best credit card for...
Behold, true glory. #PCMasterRace!
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2005
2178 posts
1149 upvotes
Ottawa
snailium wrote: Got a 15% off promo code 15BUY19, not sure if it applies to gift cards.
Promotion code is not valid
Oct 24, 2009
670 posts
584 upvotes
Vancouver
MrDisco wrote: yeah i got that. his second part of the statement was subtracting 2.5c/L resulting in 5c/L. How is he doing this?
free 2.5c/l cards were available for a while in almost every GVA Esso stations. Not sure about the east coast. His calculation is based on deducting 2.5c/l card you can get for free - opportunity lost since you cannot use two discount cards at the same time.
Dec 9, 2001
382 posts
165 upvotes
Vancouver
taya1214 wrote: free 2.5c/l cards were available for a while in almost every GVA Esso stations. Not sure about the east coast. His calculation is based on deducting 2.5c/l card you can get for free - opportunity lost since you cannot use two discount cards at the same time.
Yes, that is what I meant to say.
The cards cannot be stacked. Since you'd normally be saving 2.5 cents anyway, the difference between 7.5 cents and 2.5 cents would be 5 cents.
You can usually find them near the entrance.

Capture.JPG
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2014
1775 posts
1216 upvotes
Laputa
ShocWave wrote: Yes, that is what I meant to say.
The cards cannot be stacked. Since you'd normally be saving 2.5 cents anyway, the difference between 7.5 cents and 2.5 cents would be 5 cents.

Capture.JPG
you are correct, I always do the calculate in this way.
Thx OP, bought 10! :facepalm:
Mar 27, 2006
266 posts
160 upvotes
ShocWave wrote: Yes, that is what I meant to say.

Capture.JPG
One EssoExtra account can only have first privilege card with initial discount amount in the card. Replacement won't give more discount amount. Earning the discount afterwards is so painful. The recent one is to purchase 190L in 4 weeks to get 90L with 2.5 cents off.
Dec 9, 2001
382 posts
165 upvotes
Vancouver
youbet wrote: One EssoExtra account can only have first privilege card with initial discount amount in the card. Replacement won't give more discount amount. Earning the discount afterwards is so painful. The recent one is to purchase 190L in 4 weeks to get 90L with 2.5 cents off.
You can weigh your options. Some people prefer the Esso Extra loyalty program for free car washes and other bonuses.
However, I only gas at Superstore, so I opt to collect 3.5 cents worth of PC points per litre instead or 7 cents with PC Mastercard (the actual number of points is different for every province).
If you don't care for car washes, you can just make a new account every 100L and stack the 2.5 cents with the 7 cents at Superstore for a total of 9.5 cents off per litre.
Last edited by ShocWave on Oct 9th, 2019 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 19, 2017
434 posts
243 upvotes
I'd have to agree this isn't really hot - lukewarm at best. As others have said this works out to 7.5 cents per litre, and considering a cc and free 2.5 c/L card can get you most of the way there I don't see much point. Assuming 3% savings on gas from your credit card, you'd be coming out basically ~15 dollars ahead on 600 litres of gas. Meh. Better than a kick in the head, I suppose.

I guess this means they won't be bringing back the free 10 c/L price privileges card deal (with gift card purchase) back from last year. That's a shame. Guess I'll be buying my gas elsewhere next year when my current PP card runs out.
Temp. Banned
Jul 26, 2011
508 posts
518 upvotes
NORTH YORK
600 litres of gas lasts a lot longer than 300 dollars. So yes the gift cards are a bummer but after you're done the gift cards with about 400 litres of the discount still left it's all gravy.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)