Automotive

Wait for Tesla model Y or another EV now?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 16th, 2018 12:05 pm
Jan 30, 2017
747 posts
121 upvotes

Wait for Tesla model Y or another EV now?

Hi everyone

I want to buy an electric SUV but just surveying the marketplace there is not a lot of options. I love to pay cash for a car and just own it for a long time.
1. Model Y Tesla — who knows when that is going to come out.. I would love to buy this right now
2 Jaguar I pace - I heard this is a great car.. should I just buy this and not wait for the Tesla
3. Competition from Audi bmw etc— should I wait for them to release their EVs?
4. Honda Pilot - should I just forget waiting and go with trusted Honda Pilot for next 10-15 years

Thanks
30 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 8, 2006
11294 posts
6292 upvotes
Ontario
If you have the means, I pace looks like a great car. If you want to save some money maybe consider Mitsubishi outlander phev with 7k rebate till September 10. Of course its not fully electric, but it has 35km range on ev.

I wouldn't go with pilot or any other car that is ice (gas) only.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2008
5408 posts
11430 upvotes
Ottawa
Model Y won't be in Canada at least until 2021. Model X?
I-Pace MSRP starts at $90k CAD (if that matters) and should be available by the end of the year.
Audi etron SUV will be released on September 17, nothing heard about BMW EV SUV. They do have a PHEV BMW X5 xDrive 40e. Volvo XC90 PHEV?
Hyundai Kona EV should be in Canada by the end of the year.
Honda Pilot is rather big compared to Model Y and I-Pace. Should be announced in PHEV version next year.
Deal Guru
Jan 8, 2006
11294 posts
6292 upvotes
Ontario
seafish wrote: Model Y won't be in Canada at least until 2021. Model X?
I-Pace MSRP starts at $90k CAD (if that matters) and should be available by the end of the year.
Audi etron SUV will be released on September 17, nothing heard about BMW EV SUV. They do have a PHEV BMW X5 xDrive 40e. Volvo XC90 PHEV?
Honda Pilot is rather big compared to Model Y and I-Pace. Should be announced in PHEV version next year.
Nice catch about Kona. Great choice as well, though a bit smaller than others and fwd only.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
3488 posts
1532 upvotes
Toronto
Eaglesfan99 wrote: Hi everyone

I want to buy an electric SUV but just surveying the marketplace there is not a lot of options. I love to pay cash for a car and just own it for a long time.
1. Model Y Tesla — who knows when that is going to come out.. I would love to buy this right now
2 Jaguar I pace - I heard this is a great car.. should I just buy this and not wait for the Tesla
3. Competition from Audi bmw etc— should I wait for them to release their EVs?
4. Honda Pilot - should I just forget waiting and go with trusted Honda Pilot for next 10-15 years

Thanks
I think you need to do a little more research if you're just randomly throwing in a Pilot with all the EV options, What are you actually looking for? Are you set on an EV? Why? For fuel savings? Environmental concerns? Performance? Why SUV? For space? For seating position? For third row?

What do you currently drive? Do you need to get a new vehicle soon?

So many unknowns here.
Glazers Out!
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10538 posts
11427 upvotes
Toronto
There is no way the Model Y makes it to Canada by 2021. That simply is an impossibility. They haven't even dug one shovel full of dirt to build the new plant yet, how the hell are they going to deliver a freaking car in 3 years? It takes 3-5 years just to get a plant operational, and that took Toyota and Subaru's logistical skills.

This is Tesla we're talking about, the company that talks a lot of game but delivers at a glacial pace. The Model Y is still just a fabrication to try and woo investors. It hasn't worked.

You should pay attention to if Tesla can even survive the next 6 months, instead of worrying if a Model Y is a possibility.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2004
12894 posts
13091 upvotes
Unless you are sensitive to gas prices, Honda Pilot is way to go.

Model Y/EQC/E-tron are all smaller than Pilot if you need the space. While they are supposed to be the affordable ones, I don't expect any of them start less than $80K.

So you could have owned 2 Pilots for 2 decades by then.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41800 posts
30054 upvotes
Center of Universe
PHEV is your best bet right now.
I recommend the XC90 T8R
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5095 posts
4664 upvotes
Montreal
seafish wrote: Model Y won't be in Canada at least until 2025. Model X?

Fixed..

Get Honda Pilot. No need to wait, it has a soul and it's not built in a tent.
Jan 30, 2017
747 posts
121 upvotes
Andro wrote: If you have the means, I pace looks like a great car. If you want to save some money maybe consider Mitsubishi outlander phev with 7k rebate till September 10. Of course its not fully electric, but it has 35km range on ev.

I wouldn't go with pilot or any other car that is ice (gas) only.
Outlander seems interesting hmmm so it can go 35km with battery
Deal Guru
Jan 8, 2006
11294 posts
6292 upvotes
Ontario
Eaglesfan99 wrote: Outlander seems interesting hmmm so it can go 35km with battery
Based on my personal research, it seems like it can go 45-50 in summer, 25-35km in winter. Not too bad. I like the styling too. Base trim offer quite a bit and would be my choice if I was to go for this vehicle. One thing to consider, out of all EVs/phevs eligible for the rebate, this one is the easiest to find in stock. All others are pretty much sold out.

Pure ev would be better, but way more expensive in SUV form.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2015
4373 posts
2499 upvotes
Calgary, AB
seafish wrote: Model Y won't be in Canada at least until 2021. Model X?
You're probably looking at at least a year (possibly two) wait for the I Pace now, if you haven't already pre ordered, quite possibly the same with the Kona, The Kia Nero is another option to look at, although both Kona and Nero are only available in FWD.

No idea on the wait times for the Audi.

OP, what about getting a used vehicle to tide you over for the next couple of years, then buy an EV then. There should be a lot more available and hopefully supply constraints will be largely fixed. At the very least you may have a couple of years to wait until any of todays reasonably priced EV's are available if you haven't already pre ordered. Waiting a couple of years should give you more idea on realistic specs and lead times for the Y as well.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21392 posts
23732 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Model Y lol. Yeah maybe in 2030.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2004
12894 posts
13091 upvotes
Eaglesfan99 wrote: Outlander seems interesting hmmm so it can go 35km with battery
I think for the price of a fairly lowed Pilot, it's not a bad PHEV to have.

Especially some here said they have some discounts and 10 years bumper-to-bumper warranty thrown in on top.

That's some worry free car ownership, EV or not.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
I would be considering the iX3 that will likely arrive in Canada in 2020 but I am hoping to get a 3 Series BEV instead a year or two after because I'm not really fascinated with SUVs and I know it will be much more expensive because of the bigger battery pack to compensate for the higher coefficient drag.
Feb 11, 2016
109 posts
68 upvotes
montreal
At the moment electric cars are like cell phones, every two years there will be something exponentially better not to mention purchase prices and resale values are respectively artificially inflated and deflated due to incentives offered.

Have you looked into the 2019 Rav4 Hybrid? expected range of 965km and it should have better electric range than the current MY. Supposed to be available in Jan 2019.
Deal Guru
Jan 8, 2006
11294 posts
6292 upvotes
Ontario
vkizzle wrote: Outlander PHEV is garbage...more specifically, the AWD, or lack of.

hybrid-awds-2208703/
Its not bad at all and I doubt op is looking for offroader. Stop being overdramatic on EVs for no reason

Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41800 posts
30054 upvotes
Center of Universe
Andro wrote: Its not bad at all and I doubt op is looking for offroader. Stop being overdramatic on EVs for no reason
Stop being a sheep.
I actually recommended the XC90 T8R.
The Outlander couldn't even handle loss of traction on two wheels and you have the nerve to say it's not bad?
Deal Guru
Jan 8, 2006
11294 posts
6292 upvotes
Ontario
vkizzle wrote: Stop being a sheep.
I actually recommended the XC90 T8R.
The Outlander couldn't even handle loss of traction on two wheels and you have the nerve to say it's not bad?
Why would I be a sheep? I don't even own outlander. Or are we just throwing words now and hoping it sticks?

Again, outlander phev is more than most people will need in terms of capability.

Also important to keep in mind:

Volvo starts at $80,500
Outlander phev starts at $42,998 (minus $7k government rebate).

A difference of $37,502 before rebate and over $40k after rebate. A substantial difference, imo. You can get 2 outlander phev for the price of that Volvo.

Volvos are nice, but if I was to pay over 80k for a plug in hybrid, I'd look into I-pace and Teslas. Probably more expensive than Volvo, but also full long range EVs.
Images
  • Screenshot_20180814-224542_1.jpg

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)