• Last Updated:
  • Feb 2nd, 2021 11:05 am
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
7156 posts
7137 upvotes

Waking up laptop without opening lid

I have Lenovo Yoga 730 Windows 10 laptop connected to an external monitor. I want to be able to "wake up" the laptop from sleep without opening the lid of the laptop. Right now the only way I can wake up the laptop is to open the lid and press the power button, which is on the side - nothing happens if I just press the power button when the lid is closed.

The only information I have been able to find is to enable "allow this device to wake the computer" for the keyboard or mouse but this option is missing for me. There are no options in the BIOS either. FYI, I'm using a wireless mouse, keyboard is wired.

Does anyone know how I can wake up my laptop without opening the lid for this laptop?
10 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
8521 posts
2941 upvotes
0 downvotes
if u use an external keyboard i have had success waking it up by pressing some random keys on the keyboard. have u tried?
Supermarket worker at Fortino's
I'm Not a Wise Guy but more of a Good Fella~!
Drive an Escalade
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
7156 posts
7137 upvotes
GoodFellaz wrote: if u use an external keyboard i have had success waking it up by pressing some random keys on the keyboard. have u tried?
Yes of course, that's the whole reason why I started this thread...I'm not able to wake it up other than opening the lid and pressing the power button, which includes not being able to wake up with the touch of the mouse or keyboard.
Just wondering, did you read the article you posted? Because as indicated in the OP, I've already tried that - that option isn't available to me.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2006
3428 posts
2377 upvotes
Toronto
hierophant wrote: Yes of course, that's the whole reason why I started this thread...I'm not able to wake it up other than opening the lid and pressing the power button, which includes not being able to wake up with the touch of the mouse or keyboard.

Just wondering, did you read the article you posted? Because as indicated in the OP, I've already tried that - that option isn't available to me.
Try the Fn key when sleeping. And also that your USB ports provide power when asleep, otherwise your keyboard isn’t on - that is a bios setting
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
7156 posts
7137 upvotes
What I've discovered thus far is that the using the laptop keyboard will wake-up the laptop, not the external keyboard. From what I gather, my keyboard doesn't support wakeup - it is an old keyboard.

As for my wireless mouse (which is newer), for whatever reason the device manager doesn't have it listed by brand (logitech) - only HID-compliant mouse is listed 3x and only one of those has the "power management" tab and the "allow this device to wake the computer" is already checked. It's not under Bluetooth either. I've tried enabled "allow this device to wake the computer" for the network card, still doesn't work. Also checked under USB controller and connector managers, nothing.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
7311 posts
1672 upvotes
Toronto
Just set your power options such that the laptop never goes to sleep.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2009
3173 posts
2243 upvotes
Winnipeg
Try this
1) On Regedit go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power
2) Change CsEnabled from 0 to 1
3) Reboot.
Deal Expert
Jun 27, 2004
15215 posts
4404 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Try disabling Sleep when you close the lid. Use some other method to put your computer to sleep. Then see if the power button will wake it up.

BTW, I thought the computer is supposed to wake-up when you open the lid, if it is set to Sleep when you close it. Seems odd that you have to press the power button.
May 21, 2008
921 posts
160 upvotes
Ottawa
If you have to press the power button, that means computer goes into sleep when you close the lid. You need to change the default setting under "Power Option" in control panel. On the right side, click "Choose what closing the lid does" and select "Do nothing" under when lid is closed.
I have a work laptop and it is connected to external monitor/keyboard/mouse as well with this setting. Never have to open the lid to wake it up.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
3292 posts
988 upvotes
yanksingh wrote: If you have to press the power button, that means computer goes into sleep when you close the lid. You need to change the default setting under "Power Option" in control panel. On the right side, click "Choose what closing the lid does" and select "Do nothing" under when lid is closed.
I have a work laptop and it is connected to external monitor/keyboard/mouse as well with this setting. Never have to open the lid to wake it up.
same here

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)