• Last Updated:
  • Jan 26th, 2022 1:25 pm
[OP]
Feb 15, 2004
97 posts
8 upvotes

Wal-Mart $0.02 Items

Has anyone been successful in purchasing $0.02 items? I tried today and they didn't sell it to me even though it did scan in a $0.02 at the register.
Should I have gone to the Self-checkout instead? They claim it's an recall item and can't sell, and I had to come back for a conf call so I didn't bother arguing with them.
Can the $0.02 items be sold at Walmart?
12 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4678 posts
4382 upvotes
Toronto
Kiraly wrote: I don't know why Wal-Mart does this. If they want to use the pricing to flag an item to be recalled/do-not-sell, they should price it at $9999 instead of 2¢.
Likely because their total inventory value would be overstated. Also, this way, they don't need an employee to pull recalled/discontinued items from the shelves. The customers will do it for them...
Jan 4, 2008
797 posts
367 upvotes
Mississauga
How do you find out what items are that price? I know of the stock track tool, but I very rarely see any item for that price (only because it shows up on the trending item page) and it's always at 0 stock anyways.
Am I doing this wrong?
Nov 23, 2012
64 posts
6 upvotes
NS
I used to work at Walmart and yeah, I'd sometimes come across these with customers asking me why something comes up 2¢, which was usually clothing at my store. I was just told it was recalled and had to be pulled, which really doesn't make sense because recalls should technically prompt the register or self checkout that the item cannot be sold instead. I think that why it happens is that for whatever reason, head office marks items down to that in the system to indicate that they're old merchandise and that the people working in that department need to pull them, but they don't actually seem to get notified of it. I'm not sure about that though, it's just a wild guess. I usually just let them go after a while because I really didn't care enough to argue with either the front end supervisors to remove it from someone's order or with the customers who get super pissed if I have to take some shirt off their order.
Sep 16, 2019
996 posts
1046 upvotes
Can anyone explain how to use stock track for this purpose? Not very familiar with the interface or what its capabilities are.

Thanks!
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
2241 posts
3441 upvotes
West
Also very important - MUTE the self-checkout machine by pressing the sound button a couple of times. The machine makes the price of the item audible by default, so if a CSR hears "2 cents", you're in trouble.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2007
1142 posts
632 upvotes
Toronto
Phonophoresis wrote: Also very important - MUTE the self-checkout machine by pressing the sound button a couple of times. The machine makes the price of the item audible by default, so if a CSR hears "2 cents", you're in trouble.
I just scream loudly.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
7351 posts
2343 upvotes
T dot 6
Isn't it Walmart's fault for not pulling the items off the floor. If it scans for 2 cents, you should be able to buy it for 2 cents. Its not a pricing error, that's what in their system. Its not the customers fault that how they indicate not for sale items.
stubhub and clearly.ca suck, like really suck
Aug 22, 2004
25 posts
6 upvotes
My wife got a really nice sweater for .02 @ WM on Oct 2021.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 1, 2006
7206 posts
7005 upvotes
Toronto
Windypeg wrote: My wife got a really nice sweater for .02 @ WM on Oct 2021.
Did she also get a brain aneurism fighting with the cashier?
I swear to drunk I'm not God 😝
Jun 27, 2017
209 posts
222 upvotes
I had a really healthy debate with the store manager a while back. I was surprised when an item rang up as two cents at the selfscan the lane attendant refused to sell me the product - claiming the item was "recalled". I questioned the practice and said the item was on the floor, it rang up at the cash and thus was saleable. Manager gave me some poor excuse it was not saleable because I would not actually be paying anything.

I decided it wasn't worth it and dropped the rest of my purchase and just left.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)