• May 6th, 2022 9:03 pm
[OP]
Mar 21, 2005
227 posts
203 upvotes
Toronto

Wal-Mart charging full HST on car booster seat and refuses to correct issue

Hi,
I bought a car booster seat (Diono Cambria 2) from Wal-mart in Ontario and was charged the full taxes. I verified that the item should be eligible for the Point-of-Sale Rebate as published here. I showed the document to the customer service people and they denied me any refund and said it has nothing to do with them since headquarters makes this decision, and I should take it up with Wal-mart customer service phone number. I called Wal-mart and was basically told that the item is not exempt, clearly with no real attempt to address the issue that I presented.

So no one seems to care at wal-mart. Sure I can return the product or just move-on but I was wondering how much cumulative money this is costing families and I am a bit upset at how little Wal-mart seems to care about this.
I was hoping that there is some sort of government reporting tool that might help with this issue or hey, maybe there is a lawyer who wants to file a class action law suit :-)

Does anyone have any ideas of the best way to pursue this?
13 replies
Mar 17, 2005
534 posts
224 upvotes
It appears that 5% HST is implemented correctly on walmart.ca ($5.00 HST for the $99.97 seat).
[OP]
Mar 21, 2005
227 posts
203 upvotes
Toronto
shimh wrote: It appears that 5% HST is implemented correctly on walmart.ca ($5.00 HST for the $99.97 seat).
Interesting.. my receipt is 13% but it was in-store. maybe they corrected it. In any case they refused to do anything about it at their customer service desk which is what annoyed me most.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
17140 posts
23697 upvotes
Vancouver
Sounds like a coding error that can't be overridden by employees in stores and also not by the people who answer the customer service phone. You may need to reach someone in the finance office. PITA I know.
BC has a form for requesting refunds of PST overpayment. I couldn't find a federal form for HST/GST.
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
17729 posts
15820 upvotes
GTA, ON
lagonis wrote: Interesting.. my receipt is 13% but it was in-store. maybe they corrected it. In any case they refused to do anything about it at their customer service desk which is what annoyed me most.
Ask to speak to the store manager and have them refund override and recharge by forcing 5% GST tax with general merchandise. If they are reluctant and refuse, get the contact information for the district manager. They are charging incorrect tax and it has to be corrected regardless if they are lazy.

Work your way up the chain of command and let them know you are going to.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
48243 posts
9134 upvotes
Richmond Hill
chimaican wrote: Ask to speak to the store manager and have them refund override and recharge by forcing 5% GST tax with general merchandise. If they are reluctant and refuse, get the contact information for the district manager. They are charging incorrect tax and it has to be corrected regardless if they are lazy.

Work your way up the chain of command and let them know you are going to.
This is unlikely something even the store manager has control over. They will need to take it back to enterprise which most likely means a few trips for the OP.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2010
3425 posts
3430 upvotes
GTA
The focus here is around reporting to Walmart, it appears there are not really interested.

What about reporting to the govt, not sure how as I have never done it. However I think I came across a way to report it to the CRA.
[OP]
Mar 21, 2005
227 posts
203 upvotes
Toronto
So just a quick update. I called the CRA because I don't really value my time enough and they told me that they can't really do anything about it.

They offered that I can submit a request to get an official letter from them (on their letterhead) to indicate that it is a zero tax item and to show Wal-Mart but other than that there is no enforcement at their level. There is also a form that I can fill out to request a the taxes from the government (GST189) but that will probably be too much work for $13 and won't cause Wal-Mart any real motivation to fix the issues.

So I am just going to try to talk to managers everytime I go to the store and hopefully one day someone will actually listen and look at my case. I also opened a ticket with Wal-mart Canada but since they don't let me talk to the tax department their customer service doesn't seem to have any real ability to escalate the issue or they simply don't care.

Oh, I also contacted Diono (the booster manufacturer) and they replied nicely that this is a Wal-Mart issue and they can't do anything about it. To be clear, I didn't ask them for the money just to try and communicate the problem to their contact with Wal-Mart or the distributor, they don't seem to care too much either.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
17140 posts
23697 upvotes
Vancouver
lagonis wrote: They offered that I can submit a request to get an official letter from them (on their letterhead) to indicate that it is a zero tax item and to show Wal-Mart but other than that there is no enforcement at their level. There is also a form that I can fill out to request a the taxes from the government (GST189) but that will probably be too much work for $13 and won't cause Wal-Mart any real motivation to fix the issues.
Thanks for posting that form, I couldn't find anything like that when I googled for it.
Too much work for your $13 refund? PM me a copy of the receipt, I'll submit the form for you, and split the $13 with you lol.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
1953 posts
2217 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote: This is unlikely something even the store manager has control over. They will need to take it back to enterprise which most likely means a few trips for the OP.
This.

The store wouldn't be able fix it at the system level. If anything, the store could provide the OP with some sort of one time exception as someone mention to address the amount charged. They would probably need to contact to either the product or tax team to get the change made in the system. There would be a bunch of steps to make it happen with the store as the starting point.
[OP]
Mar 21, 2005
227 posts
203 upvotes
Toronto
Kiraly wrote: Thanks for posting that form, I couldn't find anything like that when I googled for it.
Too much work for your $13 refund? PM me a copy of the receipt, I'll submit the form for you, and split the $13 with you lol.
No problem, the whole point of posting here was to try to help others. Here is the broader link for those interested:
https://www.ontario.ca/document/harmoni ... #section-2
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
19619 posts
6375 upvotes
London
lagonis wrote: Hi,
I bought a car booster seat (Diono Cambria 2) from Wal-mart in Ontario and was charged the full taxes. I verified that the item …
Does anyone have any ideas of the best way to pursue this?
Report this to your provincial MPP’s office. Tell the you tried to get them to fix it, but no one seems interested.

Same thing happened with rapid test kits. They were suppose to be free, Walmart tried to tie it a min $35 online order. Lots of complaints, but did nothing until the government applied pressure

There’s probably a Walmart contact that the deals with ON government that your MPP has access to(that the normal public doesn’t)

The other alternative is to post on their Facebook and twitter pages - be nice and the social media team will put you in contact with the right person in Walmart
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
6001 posts
1357 upvotes
Toronto
The product probably got miscategorized as a toy. In larger retail systems there is usually a system to log tickets for data integrity issues and depending on the issue, is forwarded to the proper department.

My speculation is at store level, there are very few people that know how to submit those tickets, and it become a "those who can't would, and those that can won't" situation.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)