"Walkable downtown" areas somewhat near the GTA?
In my mind that means being able to get out of dodge (currently Yonge/Finch), don't need to live on a subway line any more, move somewhere further out that is "better" but still within touching distance when going into Toronto is required.
Our considerations are mostly (also mostly in order of preference):
- Walking distance to a downtown/main street area with useful things, or at least pleasant areas to walk around, i.e. not being stuck in a huge subdivision of cookie cutter homes that you have to drive 15 minutes just to get out of.
- Safe, "nice", all that good stuff. Don't really care about schools.
- Short driving (or ideally 20-30 minute walking) distance to a GO station.
- Not just filled with McMansions that all look alike. We would probably be looking at a 3/4 bedroom detached, end-row townhouse or similar, not condos.
- Cost is not a huge factor but like the point above, somewhere that has options that aren't 7-bedroom, $3m homes. Obviously this is for living in not as an investment, but it would be nice not to feel ripped off (possibly impossible in the GTA now, but you never know).
To give you an idea, we looked at Newmarket near Main St. south of Davis, and liked that a lot. What are the other areas around that you smart people would recommend we look at? Genuinely appreciate all your thoughts.