Computers & Electronics

Wall charger with USB ports

  • Last Updated:
  • May 13th, 2019 5:54 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 8, 2006
1208 posts
58 upvotes

Wall charger with USB ports

We would like to change some of our wall outlets to include USB Type-A charging. Is there anything in particular I should look for i.e Amps or all they all the same?

Thx.
18 replies
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 20, 2004
5367 posts
1574 upvotes
Toronto
boneca wrote: We would like to change some of our wall outlets to include USB Type-A charging. Is there anything in particular I should look for i.e Amps or all they all the same?

Thx.
You realize it's only a matter of years before USB Type-A is made obsolete and completely replaced by USB-C right? Your plan does not sound like a future-proof investment.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 16, 2004
2025 posts
620 upvotes
Toronto
I'll add that the replacement receptacles are huge - they take up the entire interior volume of the wall box.
So if you have an older house with small wallboxes (e.g., 2.5" deep) make sure whatever you buy will fit.

There are combination USB-A and USB-C outlets available.
Just be sure to buy from a reputable seller and that it's UL / CSA / ETL listed - be careful to avoid counterfeit certification labels.
LRT: Let's Ruin Toronto
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jun 27, 2004
12943 posts
2229 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
gei wrote: You realize it's only a matter of years before USB Type-A is made obsolete and completely replaced by USB-C right? Your plan does not sound like a future-proof investment.
You realize that most devices don't connect directly to the charger, right? No, of course you don't, or you wouldn't have made such an ignorant comment.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 20, 2004
5367 posts
1574 upvotes
Toronto
rabbit wrote: You realize that most devices don't connect directly to the charger, right? No, of course you don't, or you wouldn't have made such an ignorant comment.
Umm.. what? I don't understand what you are trying to say here.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 6, 2003
14807 posts
6074 upvotes
Ottawa
Ideally, you should get one with the USBC ports to get maximum charging speed. From the wirecutter article seems like they only get up to 3A and don't support PD yet, which is unfortunate
RFD is not just for cheapskates. Those who want their expensive toys don't want to pay full price either.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28361 posts
8807 upvotes
gei wrote: Umm.. what? I don't understand what you are trying to say here.
You don't understand that there are USB-A to USB-C cables? And that you have to use a cable to connect the device elsewhere (either to a host, peripheral, or charge port)? USB-C is merely a connector you don't need to connect it on the other end with C as well. In fact, vast majority of computers still have A-ports and the ones that do have C-ports have like one or two in addition to multiple A ports.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 13, 2002
19331 posts
989 upvotes
I personally would not do that .... USB form factors and technologies are changing so fast and frequent ...

What's the reason may I ask ?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 1, 2010
1977 posts
1032 upvotes
GTA
warpdrive wrote: Ideally, you should get one with the USBC ports to get maximum charging speed. From the wirecutter article seems like they only get up to 3A and don't support PD yet, which is unfortunate
Yep, agreed. The article is fairly recent as well. This is why I would never myself bother with that type of out and like @joo said no hassle in dealing with UL / CSA / ETL listed - be careful to avoid counterfeit certification labels. Just get normal ones from Home Depot, Lowes, etc. Just buy good quality cables and leave them plugged in around. I wouldn't bother with these.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jun 27, 2004
12943 posts
2229 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
willy wrote: I personally would not do that .... USB form factors and technologies are changing so fast and frequent ...
I don't work in the telecom industry, so what do I know, but how many mobile phones right now come with chargers that have USB C? I know the latest Pixel does, but the Galaxy S10 does not, and I don't think any iPhone does.

USB A has been around since 1996 (my IBM Aptiva had one before Windows even had USB drivers), and it's still going strong.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 13, 2002
19331 posts
989 upvotes
rabbit wrote: I don't work in the telecom industry, so what do I know, but how many mobile phones right now come with chargers that have USB C? I know the latest Pixel does, but the Galaxy S10 does not, and I don't think any iPhone does.

USB A has been around since 1996 (my IBM Aptiva had one before Windows even had USB drivers), and it's still going strong.
It's true that USB Type-A is still the standard but the charging technology behind that USB Type-A port has been changing very rapidly ... I think the the charging technologies behind USB-C port is even messier (e.g. all those PD stuff) ...

So having a USB charging port(s) built into the wall plate is like instant obsolescence ...
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28361 posts
8807 upvotes
willy wrote: I personally would not do that .... USB form factors and technologies are changing so fast and frequent ...
Yes soooo fast and frequent that the A-port, which started with the original USB standard in the 90s, is still in common and widespread use today--over 20 years later? Yeah super "fast and frequent" I'd say :lol:
willy wrote: So having a USB charging port(s) built into the wall plate is like instant obsolescence ...
:lol: The crazy "future proofing" RFDers are always good for a chuckle :lol:
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 20, 2004
5367 posts
1574 upvotes
Toronto
ES_Revenge wrote: You don't understand that there are USB-A to USB-C cables? And that you have to use a cable to connect the device elsewhere (either to a host, peripheral, or charge port)? USB-C is merely a connector you don't need to connect it on the other end with C as well. In fact, vast majority of computers still have A-ports and the ones that do have C-ports have like one or two in addition to multiple A ports.
Of course I realize that. But in 5 years from now when *everything* is USB-C, do you want to have a ton of USB-A to USB-C legacy cables lying around so you can use your outdated wall chargers?

Yes obviously many computers still have primarily USB-A ports these days - do you really think that will be the case 5 years from now? OP isn't likely to have the same laptop 5 years from now, but he *will* likely have the same house.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 28, 2005
6113 posts
1056 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
Instead of getting hung up about USB-A vs USB-C, I would worry more about the physical part of the receptacle.

Will it fit into the existing outlet box (which was mentioned earlier) and can one use the USB ports and the regular AC receptacles at the same time.

I installed a receptacle with two USB-A ports about six months ago and it gets used every day.
All the devices that use it have micro USB ports, so regardless if the receptacle has USB-A or USB-C ports, I need a cable in either case.
In fact one needs a cable of some sort regardless.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13002 upvotes
gei wrote: You realize it's only a matter of years before USB Type-A is made obsolete and completely replaced by USB-C right? Your plan does not sound like a future-proof investment.
Let's say 5 years. That's still 5 years you're getting perfectly good use of cables that you already own on devices you already own.
Plus even if USB-C is everywhere (it won't be) there's no reason you can't get an A to C cable (or use one you probably already have)
willy wrote: I personally would not do that .... USB form factors and technologies are changing so fast and frequent ...
Ok seriously there's like what? 3 small ends in use right now?
C, Micro, and Mini
Mini is basically out except for a few things.
Micro is still being used despite C being everywhere.
"Large" devices (mobile devices etc) are actually using C but that doesn't mean I'm still not getting Micro in places that are accessories.
gei wrote: Of course I realize that. But in 5 years from now when *everything* is USB-C, do you want to have a ton of USB-A to USB-C legacy cables lying around so you can use your outdated wall chargers?
Why not? You're going to spend another $40 per outlet just to swap to a "prettier" cable? Maybe faster charging?
Yes obviously many computers still have primarily USB-A ports these days - do you really think that will be the case 5 years from now? OP isn't likely to have the same laptop 5 years from now, but he *will* likely have the same house.
Yes. USB-A isn't going anywhere on Desktops. Laptops maybe, but even then I bet there'll still be at least one on anything that isn't stupid like Apple who loves cutting ports.

I would also doubt that every A to C cable in existence magically disappears so it's not like he couldn't just buy a new one to charge his 5 years from today new device. Or more likely use an existing one that will probably still work.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 23, 2008
11906 posts
8172 upvotes
Edmonton
krs wrote: Instead of getting hung up about USB-A vs USB-C, I would worry more about the physical part of the receptacle.

Will it fit into the existing outlet box (which was mentioned earlier) and can one use the USB ports and the regular AC receptacles at the same time.

I installed a receptacle with two USB-A ports about six months ago and it gets used every day.
All the devices that use it have micro USB ports, so regardless if the receptacle has USB-A or USB-C ports, I need a cable in either case.
In fact one needs a cable of some sort regardless.
This. We installed 2 of these plugs in the kitchen, two in the den on either side of the couch, and one on each side of the bed. At the time we bought them, there were no USB-C (or at least, they weren’t readily available) versions, but I don’t feel bad at all about buying these ones. The cables that are plugged into them are pretty much there all the time, so it doesn’t really matter whether they’re a USB-A to USB-A, C, or Lightning cable.

C
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jun 27, 2004
12943 posts
2229 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
USB C has been in consumer electronics for how long? Two years, at least. So as I pointed out, how come the chargers for the majority of new phones still have USB A? Does that sound like A is being phased out?

The key questions (that a manufacturer is going to ask themselves):
Does changing to USB C on a charger provide any benefit? Or is it better to stick with USB A, which is universally compatible?

Other than trying to be cool, I don't see a reason to change chargers to USB C, but if there are real world benefits, I would love to know.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 13, 2002
19331 posts
989 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: Yes soooo fast and frequent that the A-port, which started with the original USB standard in the 90s, is still in common and widespread use today--over 20 years later? Yeah super "fast and frequent" I'd say :lol:


:lol: The crazy "future proofing" RFDers are always good for a chuckle :lol:
But, as I can recall, there were no QC 1/2/3/4 back then at 20 years ago .... Although the port is still the same USB A, the charging technologies have been rapidly improving ...

Top