Home & Garden

Wall Mount Electric Fireplaces - Advice or Recommendations?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 16th, 2019 9:15 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2016
2327 posts
1999 upvotes
Ottawa

Wall Mount Electric Fireplaces - Advice or Recommendations?

I want to get a wall-mount electric fireplace for one of our upstairs bedrooms (about 150 square feet). The room is at the front corner of our house and takes the brunt of winter winds, so it's always a couple degrees colder than the rest of the house. My wife uses it as her yoga/exercise room most days, but it also doubles as our guest room, so we'd like a nice, easy, aesthetically-pleasing way to boost the heat in that room (i.e., no space heaters).

I think a wall-mount electric fireplace would be a good solution. I see there's about a billion options and brands out there - I've been poking around Home Depot and Wayfair, but feel a little lost. Any recommendations on what brands are good, or features to look for, or retailers to buy from?

I'm guessing I'll spend $100-250, but also want to make sure I get something that works well and will last for a very long time.

I am a current Koodo customer
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
6600 posts
2181 upvotes
GTA
Whichever you choose make sure the existing receptacle is sufficient. Some fireplaces require a dedicated 15amp circuit and some even need 20amp....you don't want to be pulling in a new circuit for this.
Banned
Nov 19, 2018
9 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
Weatherproofing your room would be more beneficial than an electric fireplace ;) Just kidding!
But, well, my parents have one from Modern flames and they like it. And it does throw enough heat to warm the room it's in. Of course it will never look like real flames, but gives the effect - never knew anyone to get one and try to pass it off as "real".
As for a particular brand - I've already mentioned one, but probably you should go look at some in stores to see for yourself, since it's pure aesthetic - you might have your own preferences.
Last edited by flatbear on Jun 28th, 2019 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3212 posts
2172 upvotes
Toronto
Look at Dimplex. I have one of their electric inserts, and it's been working great for almost 10 years. I picked another up at the curb that also worked perfectly - it was missing the remote control however, which also housed the thermostat etc.

Make sure whichever you get has analog controls on the fireplace itself if possible. The missing remote control for the unit I found would have run $200+ if I was able to find it, and the fireplace was more or less useless without it. It had a couple switches on it, but you couldn't disable the fan or heat without the remote. Just on/off on the fireplace.

$200 is going to be a stretch - check Kijiji.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2016
2327 posts
1999 upvotes
Ottawa
I think you're referring to inserts, which may be more expensive than what I'm looking for? I've seen lots of wall mount fireplaces (I guess they're really just fancy electric space heaters you can hang on the wall) in the $200 range (but maybe they're too low quality! That's what I need to figure out...).

Good point about the controls on the unit itself, that would definitely be a good feature to have.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6227 posts
636 upvotes
BC
My mom got a nice one from costco, it throws off a lot of heat and looks nice when on. They were just clearing out at our store for $99.97
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
5920 posts
6120 upvotes
Toronto
My gawd why are these things still so ugly and tacky.
As someone long prepared for the occasion, in full command of every plan you wrecked---
Do not choose a coward's explanation, that hides behind the cause and the effect...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2016
2327 posts
1999 upvotes
Ottawa
torontotim wrote: I'd buy from Costco - at least then you have easy support (i.e. returns). Lots available there in a wide range of pricing.

https://www.costco.ca/electric-fireplaces.html
We decided to go with this one from Costco:

https://www.costco.ca/Napoleon-42-in.-E ... 57720.html

I mounted it on the wall this weekend, only took an hour or so. And it heats the room up really well and really fast - very happy!
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3212 posts
2172 upvotes
Toronto
Good choice - Napoleon is a good company and between them and Costco you should be well covered. Cheap enough that when it does fail, it's not a big expense to replace.

I've had my Dimplex for closing in on 10 years I think. Still running strong.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3457 posts
1031 upvotes
Edmonton
hoob wrote: My gawd why are these things still so ugly and tacky.
+1

I can never figure out why people like this. Why not spend some more money and get a real one with real wood if you want a fireplace. The smell and aura make it worth it, but something just to plug in. Might as well just plug in a regular heater for cheaper, or if you want heat, then a construction heater. At least you will be able to move it and use in garage if needed
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2016
2327 posts
1999 upvotes
Ottawa
tmkf_patryk wrote: +1

I can never figure out why people like this. Why not spend some more money and get a real one with real wood if you want a fireplace. The smell and aura make it worth it, but something just to plug in. Might as well just plug in a regular heater for cheaper, or if you want heat, then a construction heater. At least you will be able to move it and use in garage if needed
I like how it looks! I prefer the look of this over a regular heater and it's always going to stay in this room anyways.

(And a wood fireplace and chimney etc. is out of my budget. And I don't want to make my guests start a fire when they're ready for bed?)
Apr 8, 2010
779 posts
430 upvotes
toronto
tmkf_patryk wrote: +1

cost of putting in a real fireplace is crazy expensive.... maybe that's why