• Jun 12th, 2021 9:49 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
21065 posts
2885 upvotes
Out west

Wall mount TV issues

So having an issue mounting my Panasonic 65" Plasma tv. I wanted to wall mount it, but the wall it goes on, the studs are in weird spots due to some in wall ducts I actually have a stud thats center of the room, but no studs close enough to it for the mount the edges to. It shows in the instructions to mount it to 3 studs due to its width

Currently it is on a swivel mount on a TV stand we bought years ago, but we bought a new stand with a reno we did, planning on wall mounting the TV.

Id just use my tv stand that came with the TV, but I lost the bracket that mounts the TV to the neck of the base, from when we moved a couple years ago. Its a Panasonic TC-P65S60

This is the actual part I need. Probably a ton in erecycling all over, but I cant find one for sale

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01GSK18RY/?co ... _lig_dp_it

Or if anyone else has any other ideas would be great. I really want to wall mount this, since the reno we did in the rec room is a huge update with vertical barn wood and updated furniture, and want to make this look as clean as possible. I dont need anything to articulate, but a tilt would be nice for cable space

Is one stud enough with two lag bolts? The Tv weighs 75 lbs.
15 replies
May 10, 2006
108 posts
49 upvotes
1 center stud and lag bolts plus togglers left and right of the center stud towards the end will easily support the weight of your TV.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1412 posts
1143 upvotes
GTA
Have you thought about getting a piece of ply, cutting it to whatever size you need, screwing that to the wall/studs and then fastening your mount to that?

You can paint the plywood the same color as the walls and maybe add some edge details to make it blend in better.
Nov 12, 2012
132 posts
130 upvotes
BINBROOK
WikkiWikki wrote: So having an issue mounting my Panasonic 65" Plasma tv. I wanted to wall mount it, but the wall it goes on, the studs are in weird spots due to some in wall ducts I actually have a stud thats center of the room, but no studs close enough to it for the mount the edges to. It shows in the instructions to mount it to 3 studs due to its width

Currently it is on a swivel mount on a TV stand we bought years ago, but we bought a new stand with a reno we did, planning on wall mounting the TV.

Id just use my tv stand that came with the TV, but I lost the bracket that mounts the TV to the neck of the base, from when we moved a couple years ago. Its a Panasonic TC-P65S60

This is the actual part I need. Probably a ton in erecycling all over, but I cant find one for sale

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01GSK18RY/?co ... _lig_dp_it

Or if anyone else has any other ideas would be great. I really want to wall mount this, since the reno we did in the rec room is a huge update with vertical barn wood and updated furniture, and want to make this look as clean as possible. I dont need anything to articulate, but a tilt would be nice for cable space

Is one stud enough with two lag bolts? The Tv weighs 75 lbs.
I think the real question is, where did you get a plasma tv?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
21065 posts
2885 upvotes
Out west
hob2008 wrote: I think the real question is, where did you get a plasma tv?
Its my home theatre TV I purchased 2013, that still looks great, so why replace it? I have a 4K in my living room, and watching that TV and this one, I dont see much of a difference.

When it dies Ill replace it, but why get rid of something that works perfect for me. Its a beautiful picture for gaming and movies
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
21065 posts
2885 upvotes
Out west
SubjectivelyObjective wrote: Have you thought about getting a piece of ply, cutting it to whatever size you need, screwing that to the wall/studs and then fastening your mount to that?

You can paint the plywood the same color as the walls and maybe add some edge details to make it blend in better.
Ive read that, and may have to, but it wont be hidden by the tv because of the 24" studs they have in this particular area.

Ive seen some live edge slabs for sale, so that might match the barnwood better if it does have to show

Im going to go get a better stud finder, I marked my studs before the barnwood, but Im wondering if I missed some. With the barnwood its got that extra layer so im sure the studfinder I have is giving me correct readings
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
21065 posts
2885 upvotes
Out west
Agent240sx wrote: 1 center stud and lag bolts plus togglers left and right of the center stud towards the end will easily support the weight of your TV.
Is one stud and 2 lag bolts enough for a 75 lb tv?
Nov 12, 2012
132 posts
130 upvotes
BINBROOK
WikkiWikki wrote: Its my home theatre TV I purchased 2013, that still looks great, so why replace it? I have a 4K in my living room, and watching that TV and this one, I dont see much of a difference.

When it dies Ill replace it, but why get rid of something that works perfect for me. Its a beautiful picture for gaming and movies
I just wish I still had my plasma tv, they all died. Way better than the stuff they sell now.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
21065 posts
2885 upvotes
Out west
hob2008 wrote: I just wish I still had my plasma tv, they all died. Way better than the stuff they sell now.
Thats why I bought it, before the 4K craze started. While I dont view them side by side, I dont see any picture issues I notice even though its only 1080p
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
21065 posts
2885 upvotes
Out west
Agent240sx wrote: You would want to place toggle bolts/snap toggles on both sides as well as using the center stud you have. Plenty safe and secure for a 75lb tv

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/paulin ... 1000540135
Ive never mounted anything heavy like this, so I thought it would need 3 studs like the manual says. Guess in a perfect world yes. Tv will just be tilted once in awhile. if ever. Its just in front of a couch, just tilted for hooking up equipment.

Im buying a better stud finder tonight, since I installed barnwood, I marked some studs on the baseboards, but I didnt do as many as I though. So maybe I have studs Im missing now because of the extra thickness of the barnwood.

The inwall duct work can be a pain in the ass
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
1711 posts
1027 upvotes
Toronto
SubjectivelyObjective wrote: Have you thought about getting a piece of ply, cutting it to whatever size you need, screwing that to the wall/studs and then fastening your mount to that?

This. You can make it an interesting wall feature.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
21065 posts
2885 upvotes
Out west
lpin14 wrote: This. You can make it an interesting wall feature.
No, others that have carpentry skills can make it an interesting wall feature :-) Mine would be a rectangle board
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
21065 posts
2885 upvotes
Out west
Finally got this done today. I could only find one stud to attach to For some reason the stud finders that found studs on either side, had nothing when I drilled. Used 3 stud finders, in multiple spots vertically, and retested multiple times.

I used the toggle wall anchors as someone suggested since I had the holes already, and they snugged up nice and solid

Have 2 lag bolts into a stud, and 3 toggles bolts. I would of had 4 but the last one busted of in the wall for some reason, and I wasnt going to take it all apart.

I assume its solid, its been up for a few hours now. It only has tilt on it, and will never articulate out. Is there anything I should look for to think the mount would fall off the wall. Its a heavier 75 lb TV, but the lag bolts are 2 3/4" long.

I assume if it would pull off the wall it would of done it by now
Mar 24, 2009
137 posts
131 upvotes
KW
WikkiWikki wrote: Finally got this done today. I could only find one stud to attach to For some reason the stud finders that found studs on either side, had nothing when I drilled. Used 3 stud finders, in multiple spots vertically, and retested multiple times.

I used the toggle wall anchors as someone suggested since I had the holes already, and they snugged up nice and solid

Have 2 lag bolts into a stud, and 3 toggles bolts. I would of had 4 but the last one busted of in the wall for some reason, and I wasnt going to take it all apart.

I assume its solid, its been up for a few hours now. It only has tilt on it, and will never articulate out. Is there anything I should look for to think the mount would fall off the wall. Its a heavier 75 lb TV, but the lag bolts are 2 3/4" long.

I assume if it would pull off the wall it would of done it by now
The next stud to the left or right will be approximately 14.5-16 inches over from the one you found.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
21065 posts
2885 upvotes
Out west
raptormaniac wrote: The next stud to the left or right will be approximately 14.5-16 inches over from the one you found.
They werent, thats the issue I was having, nothing measured up correctly. And since I have barn wood over the drywall, testing it like usual wasn't the usual option The stud I am in is dead centre to the wall, with an electrical outlet, and as well, since I have an in wall furnace duct, the 16" rule didnt seem to add up near the center of the room, as the OP stated

a ton of other sites with one stud installed with these kind of mounts have said using the toggle snap bolts on each corner, with the 2 lag bolts, no one seems to have issues.

Hope I can say the same. Thats why I asked on here since many wall mount their Tvs.

I used 3 of these which say they hold 260 lbs each

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/paulin ... 1000540135